Local Beach: Tel Aviv
Style: strapless surf, foil
Gear: boardriding maui kites, liquidforce foil fish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boardriding Maui Cloud c.5 8 & 13 - some impressions

Postby OriHab » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:33 pm

I bought a quiver of clouds and have been having some sick sessions on the 8 and 13 (with the liquidforce foil) in next to no wind. They are really fun, I saw there isn't much by way of information on them outside of Gregs site (which is awesome and has tons of info), but it's always nice to hear another opinion.
The post is more about the kites so I'm posting here, there are 2 entries in my blog (and another one on the way).
Enjoy!

Had another cloud session today... It is absolutely insane, I can surf every day in these SW-W summer breezes. If its a strong breeze the 8 is …

https://hovermanbronz.wordpress.com/201 ... d-session/

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, Pleasure Bay, Chapin, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe. Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear:
FOIL
BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 110 130 150, Moses 633 637 548 550 + 91 101 111
Temavento Sync, Temavento custom LW, Moses T80 LTD, Ryan Schenk custom 36", LP Maverick XL 2

TT
Carved Imperator, Rebels, Swtchblades, Epic Infinity, Ocean Rodeo Flite
-

Re: Boardriding Maui Cloud c.5 8 & 13 - some impressions

Postby pikovsg » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:03 pm

Nice! What was the wind speed when using 13?

OriHab
Rare Poster

Postby OriHab » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:05 pm

I put a photo of the graph of the nearest wind meter in the post, Which showed around 8-11..I think it may have been around that but it's hard to say :)

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:00 pm

Nice review. Greg's riding style and skill is amazing. What's your low end range with the 8.5? Greg says he uses the 8.5 from 10 to 15mph. That's normally the range that I'm using the cloud c2 12M.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90,105,110cm
Moses Fluente 550/590 + 330/325 and 633 se
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:14 pm

I've just bought a Moses foil and waiting for delivery. Been wondering what kites are best for hydrofoil. I'm on a Core XR 17-12 and a rally 8. I'm intrigued by the minimalist approach of the Clouds. But how do they work for regular strapless surfboards or for that matter TT s?

OriHab
Rare Poster

Postby OriHab » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:50 pm

I haven't flown the c2, but I have flown the 13 and 8 back to back a few times in the same wind.. I would say I need basically 9-10 knots for the 8, although at those speeds it's hard to know how much the wind is, and a difference of even .5 knots is really significant. I do know the 13 goes lower, and also that it stays in the air in less wind than the 8.

I can't say anything about TT I haven't rode one in a year..I did 20 mins on a nugget with the cloud 8 in about 13-14 knots..I might have felt a bit underpowered but I just felt really weird on the board because I was coming from a foil session..and that used to be a board I really liked (in fact I have one). So I guess I can't say anything about surfboard with cloud either.
I did ride my friends core xr 11 one day I was surfing the cloud 8 and it felt like a brick, and fell out of the air lots.
From all the kites that I've flew the surf kites feel the most similar to the cloud, just the cloud takes it all one step lighter and more responsive.

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:09 pm

TomW wrote:I've just bought a Moses foil and waiting for delivery. Been wondering what kites are best for hydrofoil. I'm on a Core XR 17-12 and a rally 8. I'm intrigued by the minimalist approach of the Clouds. But how do they work for regular strapless surfboards or for that matter TT s?
I have not steped on a TT in years, only strapless surfing with a 9m C2. I have sold all my strutted kites and I only have this one kite. If the wind drops below 15 knots, I ride my regular paddle in 6'6" (rather wide) twin fin. 16 to 22 knots its the 5'10" narrow thruster. I would not fly any other kite in waves.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels

North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Firewire Evo, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Monarch, Naish Hover 155/150/125/110/130, AXIS 102/101/82 Foil, Zeeko XXLW Spitfire

Duotone 3m/4m/5m, WASP 6m, Gong 7m wings

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:15 am

I have the 5.5 8.5 13.5 Clouds plus the 7, 9, 12, 17 C2 Clouds.

I have found I have needed the 5.5, 8.5, 12, 13.5 and 17 for foil, surfboard and TT riding.
I will retire the 7 and 9 Clouds, but the gap between the 8.5 and 13.5 is too big for me.

I am able to get going around 8 or 9 knots on the Slingshot Hoverglide with the 17 and up to 40 knots on a TT with the 5.5.

I have found the Clouds superb in surf because of their insane ability to drift.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:40 am

TomW wrote:I've just bought a Moses foil and waiting for delivery. Been wondering what kites are best for hydrofoil. I'm on a Core XR 17-12 and a rally 8. I'm intrigued by the minimalist approach of the Clouds. But how do they work for regular strapless surfboards or for that matter TT s?
I was an early adopter around here. I've been on them ever since. I had C1s and now I'm on C2s. 80% of the time in the surf.

I think the Cloud in the surf is EPIC. I can't imagine anything else being able to work better. It is amazing for side-on conditions - the kite is really fast in the turn and because you fly it a size or two down from everything else, it doesn't pull you off the wave in a turn. When you want to park the kite and just use the wave, the light weight of the Cloud lets it drift or hang out happily in situations that would have other kites falling out of the sky. I have ridden waves in onshore wind with the kite at 12. Strutted kites would hindenburg. As long as the wave is not outpacing the wind, the Cloud will just drift back until you need it. I don't unhook, so can't comment on that.

I'm not a TT rider, but from what I hear, that is a weaker point of the Cloud. It's not that it doesn't jump - it's just there are many other kites that are better for that.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:59 am

Yeah the feeling of the Clouds with hydrofoil is second to none in my experience it just feels so natural responsive and light even compared to the best wave kites on the market. The depower range and wide window that the cloud provides is a game changer on the hydrofoil as you can see from Greg's videos.

That said I'm not sure I'm ready to give up my Ozone Reo and Enduro for surfboard and TT riding. If you're racing then foil kites are clearly better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”