Foolkookio & Ridiculous Light Wind Claims

Forum for kitesurfers
Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Foolkookio & Ridiculous Light Wind Claims

Postby Pump me up » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:59 pm

foilholio wrote:using the lightest foil kite available in 12m … and starts from about 3-4 knots … just don't try swimming far with one
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2393150&p=936751#p936751
Complete and utter bullshit. No kite can perform in 3-4 knots. Typical lies and propaganda from foolkookio, a notorious ram lover. At least he did us the courtesy of acknowledging the potential life-threatening nature of swim-ins with a ram air.
:pump:

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Foolkookio & Ridiculous Light Wind Claims

Postby PullStrings » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:37 pm

Yeah he is a foilish kook claimer
Here's another ridiculous claim we hear about light wind...especially from foilboarders
"If my kite can fly in can ride"

I've seen for past 2 years foilboarders with kites (some really big) that could fly or should i say just float in 5-6 kn above their heads
Well none of those guys were able even with longer lines to get going. When they dove or looped their kites to initiate waterstart they went 10 feet forward then sank back in the water

They needed 7-8kn to go up and go just like you have been telling us all along PMU

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:44 pm

What happened to the "all true" 15-foot jumps in 5 knots on a Waroo 20m in 2007, pumpy?

Still waiting for a definition of "perform" too. . . .

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:11 pm

Kiting sucks in under 10 knots, no matter the board or kite.

There are absolutely those who CAN go in less, but the size of kites and type of riding required are a bore.

in 2016 the real deal on switch for freeride fun is 10 knots. Were lucky, a few years ago it was 15, years before that closer to 20.

Might take some flame for that, but I'm a true addict and if it ain't a convincing 10 knots on the water. I'll pass.

In reality, 10 knots is low enough to make a real go of it as a sport. Rideable 5/7 days a week so far this summer.

Life is good.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:15 pm

Starsky wrote:Kiting sucks in under 10 knots, no matter the board or kite.

There are absolutely those who CAN go in less, but the size of kites and type of riding required are a bore.

in 2016 the real deal on switch for freeride fun is 10 knots. Were lucky, a few years ago it was 15, years before that closer to 20.

Might take some flame for that, but I'm a true addict and if it ain't a convincing 10 knots on the water. I'll pass.

In reality, 10 knots is low enough to make a real go of it as a sport. Rideable 5/7 days a week so far this summer.

Life is good.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:04 pm

Starsky wrote:Kiting sucks in under 10 knots, no matter the board or kite.

Life is good.
Yeah, I tend to agree with that. I can and do ride my kite buggy sub 10 knots. Hell I can even get traction in the "impossible" 3-4 knots pumpy talks about. But its still batshit boring compared to 10+ knots. Hell I really want 30 knots!.

Sometimes its fun do chillax and do some ultra light wind cruising. But give me more wind any day.

Mind you there are guys out there would have many many sub 10 knot days. Those guys need to find equipment and stoke to fly in those winds constantly.

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rufusz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:33 pm

Hey PMU you forgot to post your "ram air kites are inferior...." 27 pages long bullshit... is that really you or your account has been hacked? :)

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:29 pm

There is something appealing about being able to get up riding and feeling like you have power, when the leaves on the trees are barely swaying in the breeze.

10 knots is about the minimum I'll kite in with my hydrofoil just because my 12m is too heavy for less and it's too much trouble to keep it in the sky. I've ridden in as little as 8 knots with it and just barely had enough power. Once I got the foil up out of the water it feels more like 12 or 13 knots, but then I stuffed a gybe and my kite feel like a rock out of the sky.

Also tried a 15m contra + foil in about 9 kts and it felt good, had plenty of power. Still had to be a bit careful with the kite in the lulls, lots of downloops to save it.

I could see 7-8 knots being fun with a bigger foil kite and hydrofoil but it would take some skill to fly it. I guess if you were an expert hydrofoiler never touching the water, you would have plenty of power.

I remember seeing a hydrofoil race on the WT in 6-8 knots, with the rescue boat picking people up when they made a mistake and the kite just fell in the water. It takes a lot of skill but the guys that were up and riding were cruising.

But for most people, I agree 10 knots is the "on" switch these days. 12 kts and I am feeling veeeeery good.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:09 pm

The Foilcup last day was described as perfect conditions.
Onshore wind 8 knots ranging up to around 16 knots.
62 of the competitors were on 15's and 18's ram air.

They were not on 12's ram airs and not in ridiculous @ 3-4 knots
Even if the wind at the event had been 4 times stronger @ 6-8 knots it would not have been described at all as perfect conditions with everyone on 18's

PMU called it right in the thread's title :thumb:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:05 am

There are lots of really fun things you can do in less than 10knts of wind

Downhill Mnt bike.
Surf
Stand up Surf
Golf.
Scuba.
Tennis.
Fisbee.
Sex.