Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: mangroovy
Style: lawnmower
Gear: 8 and 11 sblade.14.5 flite
Brand Affiliation: none
Been thanked: 0

best launch spot in langebaan

Postby windeze » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:15 pm

Planning a trip in December and would like advice on where the best launch spots are in langebaan.from some of the photos the wind looks cross off to me in the main kiting area.would we be better off a bit to the south around sharks bay?and a bit less busy maybe.

BrollocksRSA
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bloubergstrand
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan Main Beach
Bloubergstrand
Witsand
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2016 Cabrinha Switchblade 8m
2016 Cabrinha Switchblade 11m
2017 North Jaime Textreme 133
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: best launch spot in langebaan

Postby BrollocksRSA » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:51 am

Langebaan will always be busy in December. Best spot to Kite is at the main beach in front of Pearly's restaurant. Anything S to SE works really well. The water is pretty flat and the wind is generally cross shore. Watch out the outgoing tide as it can pull you downwind quickly.

Shark Bay is situated more in the lagoon area. Great shallow flat water spot. Again it works well in S to SE wind. The wind here is a weaker (+-5knots) than at Main Beach and very much cross on shore. There are a lot of beginner kiters here so be careful. Shark Bay can get very crowded. This was my preffered spot when I was still learning but now I enjoy Main Beach a lot more

Hpr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Postby Hpr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:55 pm

Main beach - deep flat water (can be gusty with a bit of chop further out), colder water than shark bay, huge beach to launch from, busy in December (students learning to fly kites and body dragging), wind stronger than shark bay. Restaurants, shops (including kite shops) and accommodation very close so you can get along without a car if you must (once you get there). There are two piers North/downwind of main beach, between them you might find some small waves, less students and you might even run into one of the pros here!

Shark bay - shallow (but you can ride quite far out to deeper waters), warmer water, a bit less wind (9m kite), much smaller beach to launch from with lots of kites lying around, very crowded with lots of students, keep a very good look out for crashing kites on the water and botched launches on the beach! This is where many students try their first water starts. Shark bay is only a few kms South of main beach but you need a car to get there and there's no facilities nearby.
Personally I avoid Langebaan in December, lots of great spots around Cape Town.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:05 pm

yeah main beach is probably the most accessible launch spot. Busy, but there is a lot of space. Plus plenty of kiters who can help launch and land. Plus a rescue boat on duty most days of the season.
Shark bay is magic though. And they've recently upgraded the access and parking there, plus added ablution facilities.

windeze
Rare Poster

Postby windeze » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:50 pm

many thanks guys that has been really useful. we were wondering whether to base ourselves near the beach or further back then rent a car. car hire sounds like the way to go. are there other spots worth kiting at not to far away by car?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:37 pm

I rented a room in the middle of the "town", Halfway between Pearly's restaurant and Friday Island. walked to the beach. It was around corner of Sleigh and Suffern street. Easy walk to beach straight down wind of the jetty. Ate every night at Pearly's.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:27 am

We need to know your level of riding and interests. Langebaan gets boring quickly unless you are only into flat water and tricks. Cape Town is where it is at for ocean riding and waves and downwinders.

windeze
Rare Poster

Postby windeze » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:45 am

one more question-if we do hire a car is the journey from cape town to langebaan pretty straightforward and safe.?

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Lokihel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:01 am

It rather straightforward, and you can still use your smartphone to navigate you out of Cape Town. There is basically one off-ramp to take once you have left Cape Town.

Safe? Your small rental car might overturn because of the wind if you drive too fast late afternoon :lol:
The road to Langebaan isn't any more dangerous than other roads around the Cape Town area. You should be fine.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:28 am

BrollocksRSA wrote:Langebaan will always be busy in December. Best spot to Kite is at the main beach in front of Pearly's restaurant. Anything S to SE works really well. The water is pretty flat and the wind is generally cross shore. Watch out the outgoing tide as it can pull you downwind quickly.

Shark Bay is situated more in the lagoon area. Great shallow flat water spot. Again it works well in S to SE wind. The wind here is a weaker (+-5knots) than at Main Beach and very much cross on shore. There are a lot of beginner kiters here so be careful. Shark Bay can get very crowded. This was my preferred spot when I was still learning but now I enjoy Main Beach a lot more
It seems quite spacious in this video - 1 kiter @ 1:37 and 1 windsurfer.

Looks like a good location - I've never been there, but I'll have to consider it in future.

Return to “Kitesurfing”