Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fractured medial cuneiform

Forum for kitesurfers
COOP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Everywhere
Favorite Beaches: All Australian beaches.
Style: Freeride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

Fractured medial cuneiform

Postby COOP » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Hey guys and gals,
I am after some advice for a good recovery and rehab work to do from anyone who has broken this bone in their foot.
Unfortunately I was diagnosed incorrectly from the doctors at the hospital and told I had done ligament damage.
The advice I received was to drop the crutches after 14 days and start walking on it. So I did.
After 7 weeks it still was not right so I got some CT scans and there it is, broken off three little pieces. So suffice to say it is not healing well.
My own doctors advice for recovery is a very supportive shoe with gel inserts and compression socks for circulation. No loading up the foot with jumping, running, etc and the worst part kiting 8-10 weeks. No moon boot at this point in time.
Some helpful advice would much be appreciated as I have been told this injury is very hard to mend.

Cheers

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Fractured medial cuneiform

Postby Starsky » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:45 pm

No good news here I'm afraid.

You are far better off to completely put kiting out of mind until it heals. This is not one where you can "work through it". Poor choices now can negatively impact your fun factor for the rest of your life.

Try to stay off it when you can.
Last edited by Starsky on Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

COOP
Medium Poster

Postby COOP » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:57 pm

Definitely not in a hurry to get back out there as it could end it altogether if I don't get it right.
cheers

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Best wishes recovering.
I came close to this injury once surfing when I dumped off a wave into a hole in a sandbar full of conch shells, foot swelled like a football but back down overnight and recovered from the sprain in a week, no fractures. I felt lucky to skate on that one.
Heal up.
My worst foot injury was turf toe from getting stuck in a strap on a bad jump. 6 years and it still hurts sometimes if I run too far or get on my back toe surfing a lot.
You will do right to take it slow, it's faster than rushing it!

COOP
Medium Poster

Postby COOP » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:28 pm

I'm already 8 weeks behind and not sure if I've damaged it more after walking on it after 2 weeks. It started to feel a bit better after 6 weeks so I started doing calf raises to build up strength again in my lower leg, thinking I was doing the right thing.
At least now I know exactly what's wrong and start doing the correct recovery/rehab.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:31 pm

COOP wrote:I'm already 8 weeks behind and not sure if I've damaged it more after walking on it after 2 weeks. It started to feel a bit better after 6 weeks so I started doing calf raises to build up strength again in my lower leg, thinking I was doing the right thing.
At least now I know exactly what's wrong and start doing the correct recovery/rehab.
The bones need to be held in position to heal/fuse together and movement such as calf stretches are a no no because this will move the broken bones away from each other.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_healing

COOP
Medium Poster

Postby COOP » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:31 pm

Yep and walking around in bare feet or open toed sandals is a no no as well. So really the first 8 weeks is a total waste.

Return to “Kitesurfing”