Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2016 Cabrinha TrimLite 1X Jam

Postby danidr » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:00 pm

matth wrote:
iriejohn wrote:
matth wrote: I rarely flag , but I will give it a try.
If you have an emergency and have to flag out who're you gonna call, Ghost Busters? :wink:

Seriously, it's a primary safety feature not an optional "nice to have"! :-?
The kite flags fine, its resetting the bar that can be an issue if there is no tension on the flag line. Did you read my post?
It's a double problem. The kite flags okay, when there is enough tension, the knot will go through the tube per brute force. That brute force going into the tube is what is fraying the line where the bungee and the front line join. For resetting back, again, it will go through the chicken loop with enough force. It will, however, not cause not much damage going into the chicken loop as the entrance to that part is sort of like a 'funnel', unlike the PU tubing which has sharp edges. Still, it can be a pain in the ass to reset in the water.

I'll repeat this again, the kite will flag correctly if it's windy enough to create tension on the line, that's not the safety problem I'm concerned with. If it's not windy enough for the know to go through you can just get to the kite by grabbing a front line and swimming to the kite. My concern is the fraying of the lines, as it's happening quickly after only a few flaggings, or even if you just like to periodically check the system on land. If it breaks during a flag out you will loose your kite! Depending on the spot you kite in, it means you can end up in the middle of the bay without a kite to help you float or be spotted.

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip

Postby danidr » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:05 pm

foilonfoil wrote:Similar problem with 2015 bar and the reason I dumped Cabrinha. So little care and consideration in ensuring their safety systems work reliably with no assistance when I contacted them about the issue. They are on my scumbag manufacturer list.
The 2015 bar doesn't have this specific issue. They did have a recall on the recoil system which was very simple and nothing too dangerous. I have the 2015 bar and I find it quite nice and reliable. BTW, you will hear bad stories on any manufacturer if you talk to enough people on the beach. I'm not defending Cabrinha, I pay for all my gear and have no affiliation. Apart of this issue I didn't have any other problems and I've never been out of the water because of a defect. I will however defend my dealer, (MacKiteboarding) which are awesome and helped me out on this issue! Moral of the story, trust your dealer and the people close to you, not the manufacturer (this goes a long way, not only for kite equipment).

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:09 pm

matth wrote: Did you read my post?
Yes.

See the previous post but one.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:15 pm

danidr wrote:
foilonfoil wrote:Similar problem with 2015 bar and the reason I dumped Cabrinha. So little care and consideration in ensuring their safety systems work reliably with no assistance when I contacted them about the issue. They are on my scumbag manufacturer list.
The 2015 bar doesn't have this specific issue. They did have a recall on the recoil system which was very simple and nothing too dangerous.
I said similar. Stopper knot gets stuck in the transition between the PU Tube and top of the quick release chicken loop. It would take considerable effort to stretch all components to ensure alignment before the bar can be reset. Impossible to perform a reset on the water and excessive wear on the knot.

Cabrinha has decided that a bar redesign every year is justified but all that does is introduce new problems. Any wonder why there have been three recalls in three years?

Awesome dealers can't fix design faults.

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip

Postby danidr » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:21 pm

foilonfoil wrote:
danidr wrote:
The 2015 bar doesn't have this specific issue. They did have a recall on the recoil system which was very simple and nothing too dangerous.
I said similar. Stopper knot gets stuck in the transition between the PU Tube and top of the quick release chicken loop. It would take considerable effort to stretch all components to ensure alignment before the bar can be reset. Impossible to perform a reset on the water and excessive wear on the knot.

Cabrinha has decided that a bar redesign every year is justified but all that does is introduce new problems. Any wonder why there have been three recalls in three years?

Awesome dealers can't fix design faults.
True! I did experience the line getting stuck while resetting on the 2015 bar. Although I didn't experience wear on the knot on that model. Actually, when I spotted the problem on my 2016 bar I used the 2015 bungee on the 2016 bar until my replacement arrived from Cabrinha. The 2015 bungee didn't have any wear on it.

Awesome dealers can't fix problems but can keep you in the water hahaha, which at the end of the day is what everyone wants, not to sit in the beach because something broke. I do agree that the QA testing on Cabrinha could be improved (and probably most other brands). Maybe they need to give test equipment not only to their pro's but also to some normal users, which will most probably reflect 90% of their customer base. I would've spotted this problem before the bar going on the market :p

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:20 pm

danidr wrote: Maybe they need to give test equipment not only to their pro's but also to some normal users, which will most probably reflect 90% of their customer base. I would've spotted this problem before the bar going on the market :p
Agreed! I wonder how much real world "sand in the mechanism" testing actually gets done.

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:05 pm

Could this be the reason why some shops have dropped the price on the 2016 Trimlite 1X by 30% ?

I was tempted to get the bars until I read this thread ! I've had issues with my Switch Controller bars and certainly do not want more bar safety issues :oops:

kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.

Postby kitegirls » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:43 pm

Alysum wrote:Could this be the reason why some shops have dropped the price on the 2016 Trimlite 1X by 30% ?

I was tempted to get the bars until I read this thread ! I've had issues with my Switch Controller bars and certainly do not want more bar safety issues :oops:
The price has been dropped 30% because the 2017 bars and Fireball are now available. I have 2016 North, 2016 Cabrinha Trimlite and 2016 Slingshot. The Slingshot bar is by far the best bar of the three. Wouldn't be opposed to testing the 2017 Cabrinha Fireball but it is pricey (have to purchase dedicated spreader bar plus control bar) and doesn't appear to have corrected the issue.

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:19 am

kitegirls wrote:
Alysum wrote:Could this be the reason why some shops have dropped the price on the 2016 Trimlite 1X by 30% ?

The price has been dropped 30% because the 2017 bars and Fireball are now available. I have 2016 North, 2016 Cabrinha Trimlite and 2016 Slingshot. The Slingshot bar is by far the best bar of the three. Wouldn't be opposed to testing the 2017 Cabrinha Fireball but it is pricey (have to purchase dedicated spreader bar plus control bar) and doesn't appear to have corrected the issue.
True but the other brands, including Slingshot, have not dropped the price on their 2016 bars as much as Cabrinha and Cabrinha is usually one of the most expensive bars on the market, this tells me something :D

Would you please be able to elaborate more on why you prefer the Slingshot bars over the others ? Assuming you've used the Compstick sentinel :)

kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.

Postby kitegirls » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:32 am

Haven't yet tried the Guardian but use the sentinel a couple hours per day. Don't like the heavy stainless steel piece 10 meters up the lines on the 2016 North bar due to tangle issues. Personal thing. Others love it. Don't like the Cabrinha bar becasue it doesn't have much for depower and the shitty foam rubber handle coating tears too easy. Also the lines keep getting jammed in the PU tube in the fully depowered position making it extremely dangerous in light winds and during kite landing on crowded beaches. I prefer the slingshot because it feel more solid, the grip hold up better, I like the eject better and it has 1.5x+ the depower of the Cabrinha bar. And have had no jamming issues.
Last edited by kitegirls on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”