2016 Cabrinha TrimLite 1X Jam

Forum for kitesurfers
kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

2016 Cabrinha TrimLite 1X Jam

Postby kitegirls » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:04 pm

Anyone having the depower line jam in inside the upper stainless steel line separator (flagger) above the small knot where the black line protector tape wraps the line? Mine stuck so hard the today that I needed to take it apart and yank it out with vice grips.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: 2016 Cabrinha TrimLite 1X Jam

Postby matth » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Are you saying the depower line is jammed in the cleat?

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby danidr » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:34 am

kitegirls wrote:Anyone having the depower line jam in inside the upper stainless steel line separator (flagger) above the small knot where the black line protector tape wraps the line? Mine stuck so hard the today that I needed to take it apart and yank it out with vice grips.
Yes, it happens. The entrance to the black PVC tube is too small and the union where the front line and the safety bungee joins needs force to enter the tube. It will also fray/damage that union, making it possible that you loose the kite if it breaks when flagging. Cabrinha denied warranty on this but my dealer did apply for it and was granted/accepted. Checked many bars on the beach with the trimlite and all 5 I've seen have this same problem.

Go through your dealer, you will receive the safety bungee and the first segment of the front line for replacement. Also the union on those lines in your current bar to determine if it's safe to continue using it.

I didn't check the 2017's to see if they still have this problem. Anyways, I'm kind of bummed that 1st) Cabrinha didn't acknowledge this problem 2nd) the 2016 bar with trimlite is very nice and is only spoiled by something that is so visibly apparent. My line was very damaged and I noticed it because I regulary pull the flag line through the loop every few sessions to make sure it's working fine. This constant pulling even when doing it by hand will fray the lines quite fast!

Good luck!

kitegirls
Medium Poster

Postby kitegirls » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:11 am

matth wrote:Are you saying the depower line is jammed in the cleat?
Not the cleat. Its the stainless steel piece above the cleat. I believe its the line separator that flags the kite on a single line for lack of a better analysis...

kitegirls
Medium Poster

Postby kitegirls » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:15 am

danidr wrote:
kitegirls wrote:Anyone having the depower line jam in inside the upper stainless steel line separator (flagger) above the small knot where the black line protector tape wraps the line? Mine stuck so hard the today that I needed to take it apart and yank it out with vice grips.
Yes, it happens. The entrance to the black PVC tube is too small and the union where the front line and the safety bungee joins needs force to enter the tube. It will also fray/damage that union, making it possible that you loose the kite if it breaks when flagging. Cabrinha denied warranty on this but my dealer did apply for it and was granted/accepted. Checked many bars on the beach with the trimlite and all 5 I've seen have this same problem.

Go through your dealer, you will receive the safety bungee and the first segment of the front line for replacement. Also the union on those lines in your current bar to determine if it's safe to continue using it.

I didn't check the 2017's to see if they still have this problem. Anyways, I'm kind of bummed that 1st) Cabrinha didn't acknowledge this problem 2nd) the 2016 bar with trimlite is very nice and is only spoiled by something that is so visibly apparent. My line was very damaged and I noticed it because I regulary pull the flag line through the loop every few sessions to make sure it's working fine. This constant pulling even when doing it by hand will fray the lines quite fast!

Good luck!
The 2017 has same setup. There has been no modification. A friend in direct daily contact with the Pete Cabrinha himself admitted that they both know that it is a "known issue."

Does the "safety bungee and the first segment of the front line for replacement" correct the problem or are you saying that this is just a replacement (replica) for the issue once it breaks and becomes a real issue?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:00 am

kitegirls wrote:
Not the cleat. Its the stainless steel piece above the cleat. I believe its the line separator that flags the kite on a single line for lack of a better analysis...
kitegirls wrote:The 2017 has same setup. There has been no modification. A friend in direct daily contact with the Pete Cabrinha himself admitted that they both know that it is a "known issue.
That is an appalling design failure, especially since it is part of the safety system. :-(

kitegirls
Medium Poster

Postby kitegirls » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:03 pm

iriejohn wrote:
kitegirls wrote:
kitegirls wrote:The 2017 has same setup. There has been no modification. A friend in direct daily contact with the Pete Cabrinha himself admitted that they both know that it is a "known issue.
That is an appalling design failure, especially since it is part of the safety system. :-(
They excuse it by saying, and I quote; "At least when the safety line gets stuck it sticks in the depowered position..."

I guess just hope you're not 1 or 2 miles out sea, down-current, the wind drops off and its tiger shark mating season... :alarm:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 am

If you are flagged out and there is still some pull/tension on the flag line it should reset. If you are on the beach and trying to reset it, wrap the line on the kite side of the pu tubing around your foot a few times and then pull flag line from ring or leash on QR side of pu tube. With tension it goes through much easier.
I believe it gets hung up on the entrance into the pu tubing, I may try to take a dremel with a cone shape sanding bit and reem out that entrance. I have been to lazy to do this because I rarely flag , but I will give it a try.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:58 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2392762&p=932608&hi ... d1#p932608

Cabrinha told me it was from sand on the beach (bunch of hogwash). Cabrinha was blowing me off and wanted me to take it back to the place of purchase and since the store is 8 hrs away I have not been taken it in yet.

Clew In

I also noticed they changed the plastic stopper to metal on the new Fireball bars.

kitegirls
Medium Poster

Postby kitegirls » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:03 am

matth wrote:If you are flagged out and there is still some pull/tension on the flag line it should reset. If you are on the beach and trying to reset it, wrap the line on the kite side of the pu tubing around your foot a few times and then pull flag line from ring or leash on QR side of pu tube. With tension it goes through much easier.
I believe it gets hung up on the entrance into the pu tubing, I may try to take a dremel with a cone shape sanding bit and reem out that entrance. I have been to lazy to do this because I rarely flag , but I will give it a try.
Haha :lol: Ridiculous. I've used the bar 9 times and never ejected/flagged, left in sun or abused it once. I also rinse with fresh water and dry in shade after every single use. "Dremel, reem" Shit, return...

Return to “Kitesurfing”