Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Control Bar - Accidental Eject

Postby wind chaser » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:04 pm

Has anyone had a naish bar accidentally eject when there is a strong horizontal force (like during a kiteloop)? I have a new 2014 universal control system and this happened twice. My other bar is a slingshot which has never accidentally ejected.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Control Bar - Accidental Eject

Postby edt » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:55 pm

that should never happen. Naish's QR is one of the more reliable ones in regards to not accidentally going off. Check your bungee. It's possible it needs to be replaced, though I dunno why since it's new. It's possible you had a hard ejection and that stretched the old bungee? You don't need to buy a naish replacement part go to the store and get a goodie ouchless hair elastic that will do the trick.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:19 pm

I've accidentally ejected a few times by poorly designed QR systems, f.ex the old cabrinha mushroom that has enough surface area it will eject if you crash hard enough, and also the pre-2014 Best that was super easy to accidentally hit when hooking back in.

But it should never release on its own, that sounds like a huge safety risk

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone

Postby wind chaser » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:43 am

yeah...little sketched out about using the bar now, especially on a crowded weekend. It doesn't accidentally eject during boosts. The QR does look a little bit like a shroom, gets bigger at the top. I could be snagging it on my sleeve when bar is in loop position. IDK...I also weigh more than the recommended 80kg limit.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:57 pm

wind chaser wrote: The QR does look a little bit like a shroom, gets bigger at the top. I could be snagging it on my sleeve when bar is in loop position. IDK...I also weigh more than the recommended 80kg limit.
shouldn't eject like that even if you snag the top, the bungee should be strong enough to hold the QR in place. I suspect from your description something is broken on the control bar but I'm not sure what, nor am I sure how to test it to find out. Actually you know what. Just contact naish and describe the problem. They'll probably just ship you out a brand new control bar so they can get the old one back and inspect it for problems. If it is a design flaw they will want that bar to figure out what is wrong and fix it in later models.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:25 pm

wind chaser wrote:Has anyone had a naish bar accidentally eject when there is a strong horizontal force (like during a kiteloop)? I have a new 2014 universal control system and this happened twice. My other bar is a slingshot which has never accidentally ejected.

No, and I am not quite sure how that could happen. The release is a push release, so unless something breaks, it should not be possible that it releases itself.

bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas

Postby bc-sf » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:32 am

I've never had Naish bar release without any input. That being said the times I've had unintended releases from 2 actions.
Once while dragging up to my board, the board or my arm must have hit the release from below while trying to orient (i'm very conscious of that now), and also when releasing a few inches of BTB depower line while powered up - the power of the nub hitting the release was enough to eject (again lessons learned).
I've also become accidentally unhooked by (probably) sheeting in too hard/aggressively for the chicken finger to hold.

Getting released unintentionally sucks. Steer/crash your kite to the edge of the window, then reset your loop. Hook in, relaunch and be happy.

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10
Has thanked: 0

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:41 pm

bc-sf wrote:I've also become accidentally unhooked by (probably) sheeting in too hard/aggressively for the chicken finger to hold.
I have experienced the same issue for the first time ever last week. Not fun at all :evil:

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:48 pm

I've had several CL problems: old 09 slingshot CL release from weak bungy, accidental unhooking from floppy donkey syndrome, failure to flag on converted formerly 5 line bar with 5th line cleat still on it, etc.
My issues have been mostly with older slingshot gear, newer is better (except the 5lb spinner which should go). Once I also had a problem with an ozone bar though (older megatron) - I rode a half a session with the dd jammed through the hook of the harness (LF harness at the time). The kite was being flown from the DD not the actual CL! Ridiculous. This could happen with ozone because they wrap the DD inside a webbing tube. The tube is deformable and higher friction, allowing it to jam into any harness hook with a narrow or converging wires shape. Possibly could get stuck on other things tho the chances may be slim.

Advice: have a slippery, stiff and bare DD; one does not wish to have one's DD get "stuck" in the wrong place!! Or better, lose the CL if you can.

SuperMorriso
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Portugal
Table View, Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Strapless, Foil
Gear: Airush Wave
Brand Affiliation: Airush Kiteboarding
Progression Sports
Kiteworld Magazine
Has thanked: 0

Postby SuperMorriso » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Right, I need to now take action as I think I have just had the same issue as you that's happened to me a 3rd time!

Basically I'll be kiting along normally and the chicken loop will suddenly ping off my harness at force dumping my kite in the water.... yesterday was the 3rd time so I now realise there are a few issues and I don't know why this is happening as I am not doing anything to cause it! It really hurt my hand this time too and happened while at a spot that caused me to drift towards dodgy rocks (luckily I managed to hook back in and sort my lines out enough to relaunch and get to safety).

I am wondering if the donkey dick is too short and rigid (try and type that without cracking a smile) meaning it gets jammed (in the bit where the harness hook comes out of the webbing) which pushes the chicken loop off me? Of course I don't ever watch this happen as it's out of my control!

Is that the same issue you're having?

I need to sort it as I am starting to not trust my gear despite it being less than a year old....

Return to “Kitesurfing”