Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best cities to live for year round kiteboarding

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best cities to live for year round kiteboarding

Postby matth » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:37 am

Boston/cape cod, one of the windiest places in the US. We have great places to kite, lots of choices from any wind direction, and the beaches are empty during the best seasons(spring and fall) easily kite 9 months a year with many mild temp bonus days in the winter months. And in the winter you can snow kite or hit the slopes of New England with skis or snowboard.
Works for me.....80 kite days a year, a few snow kite days, and about 20 days on the slopes..

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:40 am

I think the year-round kiting dream is mostly a fantasy. There's a few places that you can do it but they're such remote crappy places you wouldn't actually want to live there. Places that have permanent summer year-round (like Florida) are okay but not really the best for kiting since it's very light wind most of the year, i am on a 12m >85% of my sessions at 150 lbs. Not that exciting most of the time, there's always a compromise somewhere...

I think the best idea would be to find a place to do 2 sports, for example in the gorge you can kite all summer and snowboard in the winter, and mountain bike in the shoulder seasons.

Or get a job working from home like I did and find 6 month apartment leases and just chase the conditions year round :D Ends up being really cheap

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:53 am

gorge/florida combo is fun!

and i would say my most used kite in florida is a 10 or 9m, but i only bust out the twin when its looping weather thou, gorge included

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Has thanked: 0

Postby lovethepirk » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:54 am

@dylann I've drove to Dania Beach(80 minutes door to door) twice for a quick fix. Seems the same chop as us so 12-15mph on TT still means the 17m is in the air. May try again Sunday as it looks nice. Anyway...I was too new to notice wind trends this winter, but I'm experienced enough now to see the prevailing wind in the summer is from the SE and that helps you all, but hurts us b/c our see breeze is against that direction. I could move, but I need another year of dating. Our beaches kick azz tho :)

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:09 am

ATHENS GREECE...12 spots 50 km radius from city centre all year around,NO cold ,NO sharks,NO seaweed,NO jellyfish,best food

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:17 am

NZ has year round kiting, earlier this year was a bit odd tho- still wind but in most rare of directions - NWerlies

kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.

Postby kitegirls » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:35 am

Necker Island

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:17 am

Amsterdam is alright, many spots around within 30-45 minutes and wind during the entire year. I guess if you don't have to work during daytime you can get around 150 twintip sessions and including hydrofoil around 250-300 days a year. Winters are relatively mild but require full winter gear, occasionally it does get cold and you can go ice skating or go on a snowboarding/ski trip to the alps.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Frank82 wrote:Amsterdam is alright, many spots around within 30-45 minutes and wind during the entire year. I guess if you don't have to work during daytime you can get around 150 twintip sessions and including hydrofoil around 250-300 days a year. Winters are relatively mild but require full winter gear, occasionally it does get cold and you can go ice skating or go on a snowboarding/ski trip to the alps.
When you say "full winter gear" what exactly kind of gear are you talking about? My winter suit is a 3/2 (no booties/gloves) :lol:

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:57 pm

Maui, Cape Town, Cabarete, Tarifa all come to mind altho they def have a stronger season and a lighter season.

FL is sooo light, its a winter kiting destination def not year round.

8 kts? Find a flat water sport or something else to do if its less than 15 kts man. Hell I only like 15-22kts for teaching, 23+ is when I like to kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”