Rare Poster
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Best Waroo, 2009, 9m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Time for Some New Equipment - Looking for Some Input

Postby kbkiter » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:44 pm

After taking a year off for ortho surgery I have been back and having some fun with my 2009 9m Waroo but I know that this really is my last season with it and am ready to purchase a new kite.

Those late decade Waroo models were a really good fit and when they switched to a delta shape in 2010 I tried it and did not like it compared to the 2009.

I'm scouring the websites and thought I'd come here and see if anyone has any recommendations. The 2009 9m Waroo had some good low end grunt – I can get going in about 15 mph (180 lbs) – top end was pretty good although I suspect the designs and wind ranges have improved in the last 7 years. Thing turned quick too vs a 2008 11m waroo I have that turns like a delayed reaction luxury liner for some reason.

I'm thinking of sticking with 5 struts although I'm open to 3. I've been looking at Cabrinha SB, Naish Ride, Best Roca. Liquid Force has the Envy but I've read some discouraging reviews of their bars so not sure on that one. Ideally I'm looking something that handles at least as easy as the 2009 waroo and in that general design category (hybrid - definitely staying away from anything that leans towards a C kite design) and if the wind range and overall stability is improved then that is icing on the cake.

And speaking of bars – I've been using a 2011 Red Line from Best with OSR (O shit release). Having the OSR has been crucial for self landing as I'm often alone where I kite. None of the new bars seem to have the OSR and self landing seems to rely on quick and precarious moves involving yanking on lines (no thanks) or activating the safety every time for landing. Are there any bars that still have the OSR or have the safety systems become that easy to put back together?

Thanks in advance for any input.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Time for Some New Equipment - Looking for Some Input

Postby kjorn » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:18 pm

We ride gusty conditions, a range of surf from small chop to double over head choppy swell. The local lads who were fans of the Waroo's have moved to Vegas, Fuel, the older Chaos with the mini-bridle, Gin Egoist, Switch Nitro 5 and Epic Screamer.

Modern C kites are nothing like the old ones. A lot depends on your board skills, if you grew up in the pre waroo era then you are happy edging a bridled C will be fine for you. Some of the new 3 strut kites will feel a bit lacking, or a bit fluttery.

The Bandit gets rave reviews. Everyone likes it. Version 8 and 9 are going for a song at the moment.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:28 am

The only bars that still have OSRs are slingshot, I think. Most modern kites flag out with a single line now so there isn't much need for them. The new liquid force bars are great if you want to go the envy route, they are very solid kites that do everything and are super easy to fly. Maybe take a look at slingshot rally too. Not a fan of the switchblade except in the smaller sizes, they just feel so heavy in the air they aren't fun to fly at all. Best Roca looks ok, they've had so many random quality issues that I'm not sure if I'd trust them these days (ignoring the fact that I hate the way almost all their kites fly).

btw make sure you buy a new bar, your 2011 red line won't work with modern kites since it has a mini-5th flag out

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:44 pm

kjorn wrote:We ride gusty conditions, a range of surf from small chop to double over head choppy swell. The local lads who were fans of the Waroo's have moved to Vegas, Fuel, the older Chaos with the mini-bridle, Gin Egoist, Switch Nitro 5 and Epic Screamer.

Modern C kites are nothing like the old ones. A lot depends on your board skills, if you grew up in the pre waroo era then you are happy edging a bridled C will be fine for you. Some of the new 3 strut kites will feel a bit lacking, or a bit fluttery.

The Bandit gets rave reviews. Everyone likes it. Version 8 and 9 are going for a song at the moment.
Yeah, it's an allrounder... but too bad there's nothing it's really good at :P Rave reviews from magazines with 6+ pages of F-One advertising. :roll:

Flew the V9 9m some time ago.... think I liked my V4 8m better.

kbkiter
Rare Poster

Postby kbkiter » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks guys. I think I have it down to the Envy or the Rally. I still like the idea of OSR as I just don't want to be limited to line finesse or releasing the safety for self landing but if I could just see a video of someone doing a no bullshit self land of an Envy with the above the bar trim that would go a long way towards helping me make this decision. If pulling the release to flag out is SOP then fine but every shop I call says they land by lowering a wing tip and yanking an outside line - F that - too many bad memories of long ago in 25 plus trying to land kites like that.

I actually was all set to go for the 2016 Rally and then I read this review with complaints about turn speed and bar pressure issues so I've been looking for an objective rebuttal online to those points:

http://www.wetestkites.com/2016/07/09/s ... -2016-10m/

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:51 pm

What does above the bar trim have to do with self landing a kite?

kbkiter
Rare Poster

Postby kbkiter » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:02 pm

Actually nothing. Above bar, below bar, doesn't matter. Not sure why I wrote it out that way other than that is what I prefer. Probably going with the Rally as I've found reviews to counter the one above. But still looking at Envy, and Evo from North looks like a possible too. Waroo should hang in there for the rest of the season so I got time to think about it.

Thanks Again for the Input

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:31 pm

I use 2016 Rally's (7, 9, 12) and what "Wetestkites" are saying about them doesn't match my experience of them. But hey, what do I know? ;-)

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:59 am

Anything recent will be way better than your old waroo

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:53 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:Anything recent will be way better than your old waroo
What he said. I recommend that you take a close look at leading manufacturers, do some research, ask questions on this forum based on what kind of riding you want to do. Can't really compare to 2009.

Return to “Kitesurfing”