Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

When will those one pump hoses go inside the kite. Octopus style?

Forum for kitesurfers
kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

When will those one pump hoses go inside the kite. Octopus style?

Postby kjorn » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:50 pm

I've had issues with hoses splitting and getting micro holes in. Never used a Naish kite with octopus, but it seems like the better system. Am I correct in thinking with octopus you inflate the struts from the one-pump, then deflate them with the nipples? Is that really needed? I never clamp off my struts, so all that extra effort to make holes for nipples -- I don't need. That would save money and time for each strut. Then it is a simple one valve to inflate and deflate the kite.

Thoughts?

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Re: When will those one pump hoses go inside the kite. Octopus style?

Postby alexeyga » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:53 pm

Naish system does look cleaner and works alright, until you have to fix it... A simple leak is very hard to troubleshoot since there's no way of isolating the main bladder from struts, and then there are these internal connections that also leak from time to time and are very hard to detect. Naish is making some sweet kites, but I'm not spending a single cent on their stock until they get rid of that abomination.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:32 am

alexeyga wrote:Naish system does look cleaner and works alright, until you have to fix it... A simple leak is very hard to troubleshoot since there's no way of isolating the main bladder from struts, and then there are these internal connections that also leak from time to time and are very hard to detect. Naish is making some sweet kites, but I'm not spending a single cent on their stock until they get rid of that abomination.
Well said......I agree completely. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:13 am

FLandOBX wrote: Well said......I agree completely. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Except for the part about Naish making some "sweet kites." Octopus is horrific. No benefit other than making it look pretty for n00bs. :lol:

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:52 am

Bushflyr wrote:
FLandOBX wrote: Well said......I agree completely. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Except for the part about Naish making some "sweet kites." Octopus is horrific. No benefit other than making it look pretty for n00bs. :lol:
Yeah, or probably the only negative is that, it looks different for the clueless N00bs...

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:35 pm

What if the strut bladders were welded to the main leading edge bladder? It would be tricky to install and repair, but it would be simpler to make and less parts to go wrong.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:40 pm

Me and many friends dont buy naish becouse the octopus shit one pump... Time for naish to quit and change... I love torch..please naish change

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:58 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
alexeyga wrote:Naish system does look cleaner and works alright, until you have to fix it... A simple leak is very hard to troubleshoot since there's no way of isolating the main bladder from struts, and then there are these internal connections that also leak from time to time and are very hard to detect. Naish is making some sweet kites, but I'm not spending a single cent on their stock until they get rid of that abomination.
...but its right though.

To OP: The reason and benefits for you having to release using the individual nipples are two.
Inside the system there are one way nipples. Air will flow from the main bladder into the struts, but not the other way.

First if you should have a leak in the main bladder while riding your struts would stay inflated, and therefore assist in rescuing you.

Secondly it also means it is easy, not hard to isolate where a problem is if you have a leak. If you have a leak and only the main bladder deflates, the leak is in the main bladder. If the main bladder and one strut deflates you have a leak in one strut. This absolutely just about as easy as any other known way to find a leak.

Secondly with the kite there are one blunted nipple that you can use to isolate further by blocking an exit on the strut.

Just also like to mention that there are so few problems with the system that I dunno why this is even a conversation...but I do agree the kites are sweet as hell.

ShredThaGnar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 2nd Ave N.
Wiggins Pass
Tigertail Beach
Big Hickory Island
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Skyway
Curry Hammock
Veterans Beach
Coco Plum
Jetty Island
Style: The Freshest
Gear: 2015 14m FX
2016 11m Chaos
2013 9m RPM

2016 Naish DUB 138X43
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ShredThaGnar » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:12 am

tautologies wrote:
FLandOBX wrote:
...but its right though.

To OP: The reason and benefits for you having to release using the individual nipples are two.
Inside the system there are one way nipples. Air will flow from the main bladder into the struts, but not the other way.

First if you should have a leak in the main bladder while riding your struts would stay inflated, and therefore assist in rescuing you.

Secondly it also means it is easy, not hard to isolate where a problem is if you have a leak. If you have a leak and only the main bladder deflates, the leak is in the main bladder. If the main bladder and one strut deflates you have a leak in one strut. This absolutely just about as easy as any other known way to find a leak.

Secondly with the kite there are one blunted nipple that you can use to isolate further by blocking an exit on the strut.

Just also like to mention that there are so few problems with the system that I dunno why this is even a conversation...but I do agree the kites are sweet as hell.
I agree, I have never had an issue or seen anyone have issues with the octo. it also makes it very easy to spot leaks. In my experiences I've had way more exterior hoses pop loose and witnessed this happening more than i can count. Each system has their pros and cons and the octo seems to have more pros in my opinion.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:30 am

I once helped my friend troubleshoot a leaky octopus on a Torch. It was a massive pain. I swore then I would never own a Naish and troubleshooting leaks has been fine ever since.

Return to “Kitesurfing”