Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2017 Naish Pivot

Forum for kitesurfers
haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Re: 2017 Naish Pivot

Postby haiku » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:09 am

Is the Pivot 2017 slow? Why? I had a quiver of 2015 and 2016 Pivots (8,10,12 m) they were pretty fast, being the shape almost the sameI can't understand why the new release should be slower. I doubt that the strongest and a little bit heavier canopy material will affect this feature. Besides, I'll try the new Pivot in Maui the next October.

Cheers

Carlo

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:20 am

My understanding is that the shape is identical to 2016, only the cloth changed. It´s not a slow kite at all. I will get my 2017 Pivots in September. I am curious if one can notice a difference resulting from the stiffer cloth.

niknas
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Da Gorge, Los Barriles
Gear: Duotone, North, North Pacific, Lift Foil.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby niknas » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:43 pm

I got my 2017 Pivots late yesterday afternoon. I was able to get out on my 6m here in the Gorge in very gusty winds for about an hour. I honesty can't say that there is a dramatically huge difference from my 2015 6m kite. But then again it was not a good day for testing. Or maybe it was because the conditions were so crappy the new kite made it seem easy. I can say that the Pivot still turns fast, has lot of low end power and it sucks up the big gusts beautifully. The range on the 6m Pivot never fails to amaze me. In the holes the kite just kept on pulling. :D On the wind driven swells riding a directional I was able to ride them with the Kite drifting downwind with zero back stall. Turning the kite for quick toe side back to heel side was sweet as ever.

The new bar is the game changer for me. The below bar swivel is head and shoulders above the old system. Naish is not delivering below bar trim line yet so for the first time in 10 years I am riding a bar with above bar trimming. I could get use to it, the trim system is really clean even though I didn't use it. Time will tell.

One more thing, the new bags are ugly and of course too small.

Cheers,
Nik
Last edited by niknas on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:14 pm

Eurus wrote:
So you're someone who vets every piece of information you ever receive? I don't believe you. You've never had someone's opinion you trust make a statement about something and just taken that statement at face value? I don't believe you.

I've heard from a friend who has flown the new Pivot and he said that it is slower and he's someone who is objective not subjective so his word is good enough for me. I don't have to try it out to already know the result.
That is not what I said. Sure if a good friend that has competencies in an area tells me something I will trust him. Surely you do not feel that is the case with a guy who has barely posted, just have heard something.
You qualify the source. That matters. There are a few statements that I react to. among them are "experts says", and "I've heard". The reason is literally that the source is not qualified at all.

Obviously I also react when I know personally the kite is not slow at all..

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:42 am

I got my 12m and 14m I weighed the 14m against last years model and they're identical in weight.The new kite has less rubber bumpers. 3 to be exact and the 2016 has 15 of them.Maybe they took them off to keep the kite the same weight as the previous models. They are the best looking in my opinion out of all 3 models. for some reason my 14m seems smaller than last years. Im going to lay them on top of each other tomorrow to see size comparison. The bar is sick ! I looped my kite 3 times in a row and the center lines didn't even cross. The swivel is automatic. So far it is anyway. I wonder if it will hold up.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,

Postby clint2070 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:44 am

IMG_7208.JPG

KiteDR
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cabarete, Minnesota
Favorite Beaches: Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica; Cabarete Bay
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Cabrinha, Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteDR » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:17 am

clint2070 wrote:Im going to lay them on top of each other tomorrow to see size comparison.
Thanks for the update Clint - looking forward to more of your findings. So material may be a bit heavier but they did away with some bumpers eh? Interested to hear of your opinions on the low end.

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:46 pm

Thanks for the info, Clint. Can you give me any feedback on the 14m Pivot vs the 12m? (not necessarily just the 2017 models)

I've been using the 12m as my light wind kite for a year now and find its low end to be pretty astounding. Would the 14m realistically give me a decent amount of better low end? I weigh 165 and generally use my Nugget in light wind starting around 13-14mph with the 12m.

Thx

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:07 pm

I've had the 11 out in waves now. Super nice kite for sure. I do not have last years, but if I get a chance to do a side by side I will.
Also,I have to agree with the opinion about the bar too. I've only used the ATB so far. Really like it.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:04 am

KiteDR wrote:
clint2070 wrote:Im going to lay them on top of each other tomorrow to see size comparison.
Thanks for the update Clint - looking forward to more of your findings. So material may be a bit heavier but they did away with some bumpers eh? Interested to hear of your opinions on the low end.
They're the exact same size ! exact same shape too ! Im going to have to test them back to back though next chance I get. No wind in So Cal right now so it might be a few before I get back with my opinion.

Return to “Kitesurfing”