Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Razor vs Rebel

Forum for kitesurfers
surf-turkey
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Razor vs Rebel

Postby surf-turkey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:19 am

Been out of kiting for a few years, getting back into it. Can someone compare the Ocean Rodeo Razor to the North Rebel. Ride mostly hooked in, freeride. Looking for details on height, hangtime and speed. Thanks

F27Corsair
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hsmpton Roads, VA
Favorite Beaches: None yet
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Razor vs Rebel

Postby F27Corsair » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:08 pm

I've used the Razor quite a bit but have no experience w/ the Rebel. Although I love my OR Razor, based off of your riding style I'm not sure its the kite for you. The Razor is catered more towards freestyle and unhooked riding. With that being said, i've used it to freeride as well and have had a lot of fun with it. It rips you out of the water aggressively which can be a lot of fun. The hang time is not as big as a freeride kite and you have to pay attention to what the kite is doing a bit more than most kites. But overall, it is my favorite kite in my OR quiver.

surf-turkey

Postby surf-turkey » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:09 pm

Thanks. Anyone else??

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:21 am

I haven't ridden the Rebel since 2013, but I've ridden the Razor since it's inception. It really depends on what you like, from a freeride/boosting standpoint, it's basically the difference between a really, quick vertical boost with the Razor compared to a more subtle, boost but with more hangtime with the Rebel.

I prefer the quick yank of the Razor as it rips you off the water on boosting, it's a great kite especially the 8/10m when you are in the sweet spot for boosting.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:11 am

I agree with the preceding responses. I haven't flown the current models, but flew the Rebel 2014 and Razors 2011-2013 periodically. The Rebel seemed more predictable and more user-friendly for freeride kiting. I liked it. It's a kite that you can be comfortable flying as a relative newcomer to the sport, but you won't outgrow it. It's a very solid performer. The Razor is faster and requires more attention and tuning to keep it flying well. Both are good kites, but different from one another.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:12 am

Razor is a Ferrari. Astounding performance, but you need to be paying attention. The 7m Razor is pretty much my everyday ride and fantastic in side-on waves. But it will smack the crap out of you if you mistime a loop. Haven't ridden the Rebel.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:25 am

Rebel homie

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:41 am

I used the Rebels in the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014 models. Around mid 2014, I bought a second hand 2013 Razor 8m and and fell in love with it. Have only kept the 7m and 5m Rebels but sold my 8, 9 and 10m Rebels. Now mostly use my Razors 8m (2013) and 9m and 10m (2014) Razors . . . the 2013 model 7m Razor however is my absolute favourite.

The Rebel is smoother and maybe easier to ride and to land softly from jumps for most people. The Rebel depowers over a shorter trim angle as the Razor likes a longer trim but still drops off power. The Rebel feels like a fast turning kite but compared to the Razors, feels like it has a slight delay in the steering. The Razors are more alive in the air and like others have said, probably need a bit more attention than the Rebel. The Rebel is 5 line and the 5th line is under tension to provide extra stability to the wing shape. The Razors are 4 line and up until 2014 had a 2 front line safety which changed in 2015 I think to a single front line safety.

my 2 cents . . . cheers.

zig zag
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby zig zag » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:55 pm

The newest Razor is the best!! and I think they've dropped the venturi and a strut!

But, if you haven't tried a Prodigy then you might want to.. it boosts well and is very forgiving! drifts really well for waves as well.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:07 am

zig zag wrote:The newest Razor is the best!! and I think they've dropped the venturi and a strut!

But, if you haven't tried a Prodigy then you might want to.. it boosts well and is very forgiving! drifts really well for waves as well.

I tried the newest version 8m (last year) without the venturi but it was still 4 strut. Had better drift, single front line release capability and hot colours but did not feel the need to upgrade.

I think they are about to release their latest 6th GEN Razor soon so am keen to see what other changes they have made to improve on an already awesome kite. This new one should come with a high flow inflate valve as a starter.

I have heard good reports about the Prodigy but have never ridden one. I have been told that they are slower to react than the Razors though. I love the aggressive feel of the Razors but would like a better drift ability.

Return to “Kitesurfing”