Forum for kitesurfers
pcatran
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rio de Janeiro, Buzios
Brand Affiliation: None

Waterproof Equipment for receiving emails while Kitesurfing

Postby pcatran » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:36 pm

Hello All,

Although it is not a health-safety issue, this is related to employment-safety..

As you all know, the premium kitesurfing moment of the day is during working hours. Therefore, if someone wants to make a safe mid-week session, it would be advisable to remain available for phone calls and emails, or at least be alerted if an incoming phone call is due to be able to in 15 minutes to return the call.

In this sense, I wonder which would be the best tech solution (combination of gadgets) to allow a normal kitesurfer, in the middle of a normal session (no downwinds, but rather just staying waveriding in front of the spot), to get an alert to come back to the beach and return the call?

An apple watch with Bluetooth? A water-proof Samsung gear? any other? As this is a +USD 500 investiment, I think it is worth asking your opinions before purchasing anything.

Thanks, Paulo

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Re: Waterproof Equipment for receiving emails while Kitesurfing

Postby tmcfarla » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:44 pm

You can get a waterproof pouch for your phone for under $20. If you wear a wetsuit it probably wouldn't be a hindrance to wear that around your neck on a lanyard (tucked inside wetsuit). Just turn volume up and set alerts for all incoming emails.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:57 pm

*kiteboard police sirens wailing*

...Son, step away from the cell phone. Back away nice and easy...

Seriously, stop bringing office work to the beach. Relax and have fun.

As far as special devices, if you are really that much of a work=a=holic, get a waterproof phone ala the Samsung model and put it into a waterproof housing. Aside from water there is sand, salt, etc.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:01 pm

Most of my daytime kite sessions seem to mysteriously overlap with a "sales meeting" in my outlook calendar. Weird...

pcatran
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rio de Janeiro, Buzios

Postby pcatran » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 pm

dracop wrote:*kiteboard police sirens wailing*

...Son, step away from the cell phone. Back away nice and easy...

Seriously, stop bringing office work to the beach. Relax and have fun.

As far as special devices, if you are really that much of a work=a=holic, get a waterproof phone ala the Samsung model and put it into a waterproof housing. Aside from water there is sand, salt, etc.
Thanks for the heads-up, Dracop.. during the week this is the best i can do. the alternative: stay at the office.
Cheers!

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Ah, it must be nice to be able to get away from work and not think about it. But that doesn't work for me. I can usually get away from work whenever there's wind (boss understands) but I try to keep an eye out on what's happening. If things go wrong, I might not have a job where I can go kiting whenever I want to.

I use the Suunto Ambit 3 Peak and a cell phone. The Suunto has a very basic notification via BT and displays a line of email/text/phone. I keep the cell on the beach in my bag and whenever I ride by for a drink of water or just close enough, the watch will sync and get/show notifications. It only shows a little of the subject/sender from the text/email and shows if you have missed calls but that's enough for me. If there's 10 missed calls and 20 emails that means I REALLY need to check the phone because I have automated alerts setup. It's not a perfect solution and sometimes the watch is slow to sync but with recent updates it has worked quite well.

I haven't seen any android watches that I would prefer to have over the Suunto, YET. I would prefer to have something with a lot more distance and a better display but I've been using the Suunto watches since their very early models and really like them. The Suunto's Ambit3's waterproof, has GPS, the battery lasts for weeks with BT always on and lots of other features I use.

Kitego
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kitego » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:55 pm

I use my android phone put inside a waterproof pouch around my neck and a Pebble classic watch.
It is very convenient to read SMS messages as you can use the up-down buttons to scroll the entire message. You can read the subject lines of emails also. in addition, I have composed pretty canned message so that I can reply customer replies.
It's fairly cheap and works well. The battery holds it's charge for up to 10 days in my case.
I actually used the phone once to call the coast guard while still on the water.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:18 am

Dracop:

Not everyone has the luxury of time. If someone can make it onto the water that way, it is fine!

cosmo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cosmo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:19 am

The top running garmin watches sinc with your phone and are swim friendly

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 am

Mossy 757 wrote:Most of my daytime kite sessions seem to mysteriously overlap with a "sales meeting" in my outlook calendar. Weird...
hehehe.

I bet there's a lot of "meetings" that happen around the world at 3pm when the seabreeze is strongest.

Return to “Kitesurfing”