Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Re: North Click Bar Official Unofficial Thread

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:49 pm

From mbevo on another thread: "does the click thing work when rear lines are not under tension (pre-adjusting the depower when launching in strong conditions)?"

There needs to be tension on the backlines. However in order to depower with our standard bar the situation is the same, you need tension on the front lines. It is very easy to trim/depower either system while the launcher is holding the kite before you give the signal to release the kite.

-Dan

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Several people on other threads have asked about the blue handle above the depower line in the video... That is the optional 5th line. It runs from there to the kite connection. As I mentioned the standard safety will drop the kite to a front line a la the Quad bar. You can use this blue loop to drop the kite to the 5th like our traditional 5th element does.

-Dan

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:51 pm

Dan you broke your link, prob edited your orig post. Kiteforum does that for some reason

Some interesting additional links. At the end of the youtube video are links ato additional Click Bar vids, looks like North filmed all of their Support vids already.

The Blue Handle/How to Attach the 5th ELement Line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-uJDFeogvM

How to Adjust the SLiding Stopper, including semi-permanent adjustment for short arm people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khpTqUOK1XI

You guys can explore the other Support vids for any other topics, just wait untilt he vid is over and there are small tiles of the other vids inside the Youtube window

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:11 pm

Jyka-

Click bar complete with Quad 22m lines came in at 2lb 7oz, or 1.1Kg. This is with the 2m extensions removed, happen to not have them with me, guessing they would add less than an oz.

For reference our 2016 Quad 24 bar complete weighs 2lb 5oz or 1.05Kg.

dracop, dammit, I'm not good at that type of thing. Hopefully people figure it out.

-Dan

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:23 pm

Ok one more (I did not think of the winter gloves scenario) - what are the chances of the mechanism freezing up in below freezing temps? We don't often kiteboard in below freezing temps for obvious reasons but on a rare occasion we do. What we do often in below freezing temps is snowkite. I can't imagine a scenario when/where water would get into the mechanism to freeze it BUT what about below freezing temps without the water intrusion. Will cold temps affect the mechanism? Think of lines coated with small chunks of ice at times.

Can't wait to demo one of these.

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:30 pm

NH-
I don't have any experience with this bar on the snow. I would assume that if there is water inside the system (wet in warm house/car) then exposed to subfreezing conditions this could become an issue, but I think this would be a fairly rare occurrence and hopefully if someone were putting their bar in these kinds of conditions they're in the habit of considering this kind of thing with all of their gear and take steps to either prepare it by drying it out ahead of time then testing it out/cycling it regularly during the session. When/if anyone tests this bar in snowkite conditions please let us know if there are any issues.

-Dan

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:02 pm

Dan-at-North wrote:If you're used to holding the bar in your right hand, realize that a traditional trim system requires you to use both hands regardless... If you're steering with the right hand you'll have to use the left to reach up (or down) to pull the depower. In this case you'll have to momentarily hold the bar with your left hand and use your right to trim.
It was me who questioned having the trim only on the RHS.

If I trim I hold the bar with my RIGHT hand and trim with my LEFT hand. That's the way I like it!

But as I said in the other thread I'm with Starsky who does not need to trim, and actually I don't need to either - I have a full 27" of trim available through bar movement alone. North and Cabrinha should have concentrated development on regaining the loss of trim travel caused by the hook/chicken loop system rather than Fireball/Click gadgets. In other words, solving the problem rather than working around it with increasingly complex systems.

IMO of course.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Why no width adjustment? And how do you recalibrate the lines after some use?

Why should I buy this bar in stead of 3 last years bars?

Won't the bar get stuck on the PU during hard turns? Even regular PU sleeved bars do that, and this one relies on friction to unspin..

How much force will the mechanism take? Can you do F16's when you're 220lbs?

Why are the bearings exposed?

I like the stopper though. Just a matter of pulling the bottom side towards you and it'll split by itself?

iroddy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brighton
Shoreham
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby iroddy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:24 pm

I don't get the whole 'Left Handed' issue thing. I'm right handed and I drive a right hand drive manual car, therefore I have to shift with my left hand. Is it an issue? No.

Twisting and pressing that button doesn't require much force at all by the looks of it.

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Iriejohn-
A. I totally agree that 'regaining the loss of trim travel caused by the hook/cl system" is something worth tackling and that this sytem does not address that issue.

The most common complaint I encountered regarding our past 'standard' bar has been the complexity in appearance of our trim system, the fact that if people wanted to bring the cleat lower down to make the depower more accessible to people with shorter arms you would then lose throw length, and the fact that when pulling a lot of depower it would leave a dangling line that could easily wrap around the bar or an outside line. This new system addresses these issues and allows for a cleaner bar.

It also allows us to have an extremely long throw with an extremely large amount of depower/trim still on tap.

I agree that especially with a long throw there is no 'need' for trimming the kite if you have long enough arms, however you may find that as you get overpowered you are forced to hunch over and lean out, putting you off balance in order to maintain the correct amount of power. In this situation using the depower to trim the kite will allow you to hold the bar more comfortably. Also, most people trim the strap to decrease the power when attempting unhooked tricks and/or when dropping into waves. I've heard that due to the added convenience of having the trim right at the bar end people are using the system more than they would the atb or btb systems on our old bars.

Just to be clear, we are not saying this bar is for everyone. We will still offer our standard bars in quad and 5th element in 2017 and the foreseeable future beyond that. This is something that we think has a place in the market and from what we've seen since testing it I think it could actually have a positive impact on the way people ride.

-Dan

Return to “Kitesurfing”