Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: XR6 8m & 11m
Soul 15m
NHP Carbon Split 142
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone Click Bar Official Unofficial Thread

Postby SolarSet » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:37 pm

What about people who are using Duotone bar and use extensions from 18m to 24m lines? For each extension to bar lines we should change length of front or rear lines

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:52 pm

evan wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:23 pm
On a kite with 6m separation between the front line pigtails on the bridle the front lines will get 78mm shorter on a 6m high split vs low V.

Smaller kite and longer lines reduce this effect significantly. Needed to guess the separation distance, but i doubt even big modern kites bridled kites exceed 6m but i would love to have some actual measurements! (only have race kites here....)
This makes more sense also from a math's perspective. But isn't that accounted for by the brands? Some brands have high splits others low split, as longs as you match these there is no need to adjust the back or frontlines.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2019 Duotone Rebels 9m and 12m
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2016 Naish Hero 145
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:43 am

evan wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:23 pm
On a kite with 6m separation between the front line pigtails on the bridle the front lines will get 78mm shorter on a 6m high split vs low V.

Smaller kite and longer lines reduce this effect significantly. Needed to guess the separation distance, but i doubt even big modern kites bridled kites exceed 6m but i would love to have some actual measurements! (only have race kites here....)

Nice geometrical images however Duotone compensates for this by tweaking the bridles and the attachments to the bridles. If you fully trim in and sheet in the bar, all four Duotone lines at the bar should be even which is normal for a low V split. The effect of the V splitter changing the length of bar line lengths is handled by the end length of the bridle attachment points

So no change necessary when using the Click bar for other non Duotone kites if you take off the V splitter and go low V mode

Trickier if you use another high V split kite like a Torch or even a mid V like a Core

Pierrot
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Gear: Aluula Roam 10m, North neo 10m, 7m, 5m
Hydrofoil Ketos,
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pierrot » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:56 pm

Continuing on the Low V questions :idea:
I have been riding my click bars on low-V (ie. removing the line distributor) for about 18 months on Duotone Neo and OR Roam kites. I barely noticed the difference.
Works pretty well. Maybe you feel a bit more power... But I wonder if having the "V split" happen right at the exit of the PU depower tube isn't going to create some wear on the flag line over time...

Now I'm in the process of changing my lines (thanks https://kiteboardinglines.com/) and was wondering if it was an option to use the 5th line metal ring that is at the to of the PU depower tube to run the "flag line" through it and have an "ultra low-V split" and have the metal ring act as the line distributor a few cm above the PU depower line, which would avoid the wear of the "flag line" on the edge of the depower tube.
It should not prevent the flagging function or make any material change to thte length of the flag line. So security should be all good.
But I was wondering if it could change the behaving of the auto-untwist feature... it should not either...

this is the ring I'm talking about, and the idea would be to have the red line go throught he ring.

Happy to have some advice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”