Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is more dangerous, racing motorcycles or kitesurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Style: This 'n that
Gear: Lieuwe Shotgun
V2 Enduros 7/9/12
Flite Aluula 14.5
Duotone Pro Fish
Brand Affiliation: None

What is more dangerous, racing motorcycles or kitesurfing?

Postby iriejohn » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:15 pm

I road raced motorcycles (closed circuit) for 10 years and had some serious injuries and close squeaks but at least I could (semi) trust other riders not to try and kill me, but what I've seen while kitesurfing is seriously fucking scarey. Not going to stop though, wouldn't be fun if it didn't sometimes scare the shit out of you, would it? :thumb:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: What is more dangerous, racing motorcycles or kitesurfing?

Postby matth » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:56 pm

Motorcycles are far more dangerous IMO. Speed and hard objects are very unforgiving. I rode MX bikes for years and loved it, but never bought a street bike because I had too many friends that got killed or seriously hurt. And that was thirty years ago before texting and crazy over crowded roads we have nowadays. Kites can be dangerous without question , but many steps can be used to avoid a bad incident. Avoid super gusty wind and shit launch sites, practice punching out, practice self rescue, avoid offshore winds, don't ride alone, get upwind and stay away from kooks, don't do 30 foot jumps in a foot of water, make sure you are dressed for a minimum of a half hour in current water temp, carry 2 hook knives and check them often , replace when they look rusty, look down at your chicken loop and donkey dick and safety leash every 10 minutes or so to make sure all looks good, don't be lazy and ride on the wrong size kite, being seriously overpowered is asking for trouble, wear some form of floatation, If something feels wrong (too windy , waves too big ) wait for another day.......others can add more :D :D :D

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:16 pm

it's impossible to grade sports that finely. You can pour over the statistics as much you like, but everything gets measured differently. The most you can do is grade them in order of magnitude, so something is about ten times more dangerous. With that said, That said here's the levels
(edit: I'm changing bumping up how dangerous motorcycle riding is due to some stats and arguments people have made in their responses)

tier 0, you have death wish. Only two sports for this very special category, death rate somewhere around 1 in a 100

wingsuit flying, Isle of Man Motorcycle racing

tier 1, everyone has friends that have died and you know if you keep doing it your number is gonna come up. There's a special element to this section, you are either underwater and can drown or up in the air and can crash or an animal is trying to stomp you to death. A lapse of concentration can be fatal. Death rate somewhere around 1 in 25,000

underwater cave diving, traditional climbing, paragliding, hang gliding, ultralight aircraft, helicopter skiing, bull riding, base jumping, conventional motorcycle riding

People in tier 1 tend to block you out when you explain how dangerous it is, and explain how they are different and special. But when they get married and start a family suddenly they remember hey this sport really is dangerous and switch to kiteboarding instead.

tier 2, this is the sweet spot of sketch, exciting enough to feel a little on edge, but not so dangerous you have to make your will every time you head out death rate somewhere around 1 in 250,000

kiteboarding, bmx or downhill bicycle, whitewater kayaking, motocross, motorcycle racing

tier 3, sports that are usually safe, something has to go wrong to get killed doing these things

wakeboarding, windsurfing, skateboarding death rate somewhere around 1 in 1,000,000

tier 4, we finally reached the category of sports where you are probably safer off doing a sport like this instead of sitting at home and playing it on your playstation, so you are more likely to get cardiovascular benefit from doing the sport and it makes you have less fatalities not more.

swimming, running, soccer, basketball, basically all the other sports.

If you look at it reasonably you have to understand there are very few sports in the world which are as dangerous as kiteboarding. And that's ok. At least we're not wingsuit flying and I think we understand there's risk and don't try to downplay the level of risk.
Last edited by edt on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:31 am

Quick internet search shows around 4,500 motorcycle fatalities per years in the United States, and about 9 million registered motorcycles. That is about 1 fatality per 2,000 rider per year, which is way higher than I would have guessed. I saw an estimate of 1.5 million kiters world wide, if that is true, you'd need 750 annual kite fatalities to match that rate. I don't think it is anywhere near that. All of those numbers are pretty unreliable, and it is kind of apples to oranges, but I'd say kiting doesn't come close to the danger of motorcycling on a per user basis. Hard to correct for a per-hour risk though.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:55 am

You can make either sport safer or more dangerous by the choices you make so are you asking which is inherently more dangerous or which do we make more dangerous.
If you kite away from others and in steady winds you can make kiting pretty safe. No matter how slow or well you ride a motorcycle the penalty for screwing up seems to be bigger. If you like to twist the right hand harder the danger goes up. On a track the danger goes back down.
My guess is for most riders most of the time kiting will be safer just because there are fewer opportunities to really get smashed up. Launching and landing sure but then you are on the water for most of it. On the bike every moment is launching & landing with other vehicles thrown in for good measure moving different speeds and directions. Track is different, of course but most don't ride there most of the time.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:23 am

can't argue with those stats.1 death per 2,000 every year, that's huge. I should move motorcycle riding up into tier 1 along with paragliding.

kiterocky
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:33 am

Kite is for pussy compare to bike....come on..

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139
Has thanked: 0

Postby flyingcamel » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:46 am

it really just comes down to conditions and how hard you want to push it. i think kite looping in 30-40kts could be up there in the danger factor, especially if its cold air and water. When did mountain biking become so extreme? some of the stuff ive been seeing has been right up there with wingsuits. I think the most extreme sport would be autoerotic asphyxiation. would probably be the most dangerous of all the sports, especially if you have a big family and alot of friends. Its the only one that you have to think of post death embarrassment

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:47 am

kiterocky wrote:Kite is for pussy compare to bike....come on..
Never had worse than grazes crashing motorbikes :lol:

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:52 am

I once laid my bike down on asphalt while riding without a shirt. (Yes, I was wearing my helmet.) I still cringe over memories of the stiff brush the ER doc used to scrape the sand 'n gravel out of my chest and hands. Ouch.... :o

I feel much safer on the water than on the pavement. +1 - racing moto is more dangerous

Return to “Kitesurfing”