Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is more dangerous, racing motorcycles or kitesurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: What is more dangerous, racing motorcycles or kitesurfing?

Postby edt » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:01 pm

JaZone wrote:
Ya, watching those guys race isles of man makes me cringe when they come around a corner
With absolutely no room for error.
I'm amazed that you don't hear someone get killed there each year, they're racing so close to so many hazards.
Speed wobble , and you're gonna end up in some guys house.
yeah the fatalities are something like 1 or 2 per year, though you might go a few years without anything happening. 270 fatalities in 116 years. There's a half dozen classes three dozen or so riders in each class, so something like 200 competitors per year. So a fatality rate of somewhere around 1 in a 100 per year. Definitely a "you must have a death wish to enter" competition.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:13 pm

matth wrote:
iriejohn wrote:
matth wrote:
Soft tracks are one thing, but those guys that race Isle of Man style are freaking crazy.
Closed circuit motorcycle road racing is not on "soft tracks", that's MX.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sJ30U_8ZT0

I am not talking about dirt tracks being a soft track. I am talking about street bikes(Moto GP style) on a race course designed for bikes with lots of gravel , sand , and padding in key areas. Isle of Man type tracks are insane compared to a properly designed race coarse for Moto GP style racing...

This is what I mean by soft tracks....from Wikipedia
Thank-you for your Wiki quote which incidentally no-where mentions "soft tracks".

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:18 pm

I'm sure Richard Branson could give you a straight answer

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1677619/v ... ike-crash/

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:35 pm

edt wrote:it's impossible to grade sports that finely. You can pour over the statistics as much you like, but everything gets measured differently. The most you can do is grade them in order of magnitude, so something is about ten times more dangerous. With that said, That said here's the levels
(edit: I'm changing bumping up how dangerous motorcycle riding is due to some stats and arguments people have made in their responses)

tier 0, you have death wish. Only two sports for this very special category, death rate somewhere around 1 in a 100

wingsuit flying, Isle of Man Motorcycle racing

tier 1, everyone has friends that have died and you know if you keep doing it your number is gonna come up. There's a special element to this section, you are either underwater and can drown or up in the air and can crash or an animal is trying to stomp you to death. A lapse of concentration can be fatal. Death rate somewhere around 1 in 25,000

underwater cave diving, traditional climbing, paragliding, hang gliding, ultralight aircraft, helicopter skiing, bull riding, base jumping, conventional motorcycle riding

People in tier 1 tend to block you out when you explain how dangerous it is, and explain how they are different and special. But when they get married and start a family suddenly they remember hey this sport really is dangerous and switch to kiteboarding instead.

tier 2, this is the sweet spot of sketch, exciting enough to feel a little on edge, but not so dangerous you have to make your will every time you head out death rate somewhere around 1 in 250,000

kiteboarding, bmx or downhill bicycle, whitewater kayaking, motocross, motorcycle racing

tier 3, sports that are usually safe, something has to go wrong to get killed doing these things

wakeboarding, windsurfing, skateboarding death rate somewhere around 1 in 1,000,000

tier 4, we finally reached the category of sports where you are probably safer off doing a sport like this instead of sitting at home and playing it on your playstation, so you are more likely to get cardiovascular benefit from doing the sport and it makes you have less fatalities not more.

swimming, running, soccer, basketball, basically all the other sports.

If you look at it reasonably you have to understand there are very few sports in the world which are as dangerous as kiteboarding. And that's ok. At least we're not wingsuit flying and I think we understand there's risk and don't try to downplay the level of risk.
Fantastic response. I think you can move kiteboarding from tier 2 to tier 1 when for extreme conditions. lets say 40 knots and 5m swell. There is both the chance of drowning and height related injury.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FredBGG » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:01 am

One thing for sure. Pro motorcycle racing world is far less stupid than pro kitesurfing.
In the motorcycle world safety gear is worn at all times and strongly promoted.
Pro kitesurfers are too busy being cool to wear even a helmet. None of the brands promote proper safety gear.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:35 am

On average conditions I'd say motorcycle for sure.
I second that kiting would be much safer if in the pro circuit they'd start wearing safety gear. I'm sure it will appen, but it will take time and probably some bad incident.

On "Tier 0" sports, TT racing and proximity wing suit flying are just inhuman. Just looking at the vids make me shiver, I feel I could do anything in this world, but not that. Never.

The guy in the video below, a fantastic guy, died 20 days ago (with 2 more of his colleagues dying in the last 3 weeks in other 2 separate incidents).

[youtube]
HTTPS://youtu.be/-C_jPcUkVrM
[/youtube]

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:31 am

What's worst. Fall in a fuckin rough asphalt or in a water full of jellyfish.
Just judge yourself.
Both fukin xtrm sports :D

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:54 pm

kiting is only really dangerous if you (a) dont know what you're doing; or (b) kite somewhere that the wind can jump 20+ knots at any time. the only real injuries are from beginners or from experienced people getting caught in a storm or something. for the average rider its probably one of the safest "exteme" sports there is

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FredBGG » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:29 pm

kiterocky wrote:Kite is for pussy compare to bike....come on..
I tried to teach a guy who was on an acrobatic motocross team to kite surf.
he gave it up because it scared the shit out of him even in mild conditions and he was also a surfer.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:09 pm

FredBGG wrote:
kiterocky wrote:Kite is for pussy compare to bike....come on..
I tried to teach a guy who was on an acrobatic motocross team to kite surf.
he gave it up because it scared the shit out of him even in mild conditions and he was also a surfer.
That might have been because when racing bikes pretty much everything is within the direct control of your hands and feet but with kitesurfing there's a major uncontrollable element - the wind (uncontrollable in the sense that you cannot change it, only respond to it).

Return to “Kitesurfing”