Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is more dangerous, racing motorcycles or kitesurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
PugetSoundKiter
Medium Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What is more dangerous, racing motorcycles or kitesurfing?

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:47 am

I was reading about safety on this site https://chessintheair.com/ and the graphics reminded me of this thread. Assume that death by kitesurfing would be in the Dangerous Activities category (same as living like a 50 year old) with riding motorcycles but racing motorcycles is probably in the Very Dangerous Activities category (same as being over a 100 years old)? Sold my sportsbike a few years ago, rather kitesurf and do other things. Survived 30 years of riding motorcycles and 10 years of riding kites so far, but I've gotten more minor injuries kiting and more serious injuries from motorcycles. Stay young!
:shock:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:10 am

Riding a motorcycle on public streets is way more dangerous than racing one on a track.

And surely those odds are spread out amongst all the practitioners -- if you're wing suiting, the odds are that SOMEONE wing suiting will die in the next 11 hours, not you personally... surely...?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:17 am

Like I said earlier ...

I raced motorcycles for 10 years on closed circuit tracks like Brands Hatch in the UK, Laguna Seca in the USA, and Le Mans in France.

Over the 10 years in my class of the about 80 riders, 2-1/2 died which is about a 2.5/80 = ~3% mortality rate. What is the 1/2 you might ask? He's the rider who hit the Armco so hard that after resuscitation he survived but lost all memory. I mean, all of it. He didn't know who he was, his past, his wife, his children, absolutely nothing.

Kitesurfing dangerous? Nah, by comparison it's a walk in the park on a sunny day.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:01 am

I would put kiting between equestrian eventing and motorcycling, but those figures look a little off to me. I guess it's really hard to get the correct figures. I don't buy the figures for hang gliding and paragliding they seem low.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7

Postby TheJoe » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:14 am

I would say everything in reason is just as dangerous as you make it. I kite and it is more dangerous than paragliding for me. I'm not a very experienced pilot and I only fly in good conditions when I do. I live in Houston Tx so I can fly in perfect sea breeze winds. All so have a few weather stations and airports to look at to make the decision to go out. I don't do any advanced maneuvers just fly around. While kiting I am far more aggressive with what I do. I have had a lot of crashes where I think I'm going to end up in the hospital. I'm more confident to try harder things kiting than I am while power paragliding.

With all that said. Riding my Harley in Houston is far more dangerous then both kite and PPG for me. There are so many things that can go wrong that I have no control over when it comes to other drivers and the highly congested roads I ride on.

So really I think it's more about the person than the sport. Make more risky decisions in what your doing your chance for injury or death goes up.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:00 am

So,

I was a PPG pilot for years. I personally knew a good few people who died in different conditions, due to different choices. We all moved on from PPG since all now in 50ties.

I knew only one guy who died while kiting.

If I continued with a PPG, would be dead long time ago. With kiting, water saved me more than I remember. Sure, broke a few bones, but still alive and killing it more than many many 20-30yo.

In general water is our friend. No one died from walking in shallows. Many people died from walking in hard surfaces ;)
Last edited by downunder on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:53 am

It is an age old question.

I get triggered when people say kiting is a safe sport, especially when it comes from mouths after commercial gain$.

Kitesurfing deaths are pretty common, far more than I think some people want to believe.

Up to 20 fatalities a year? possibly more when you include countries where it is harder to get info from ( eg south america).

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:07 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:53 am

I get triggered when people say kiting is a safe sport, especially when it comes from mouths after commercial gain$.

Yeah I agree kiting isn't a safe sport. I do think that the amount of joy you get per the amount of risk is the best of anything. You get way more risk doing traditional climbing but it's far less satisfying. There are sports about the same dangerous as kiting but they aren't as fun.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:16 am

Fatalities number are related to conditions and choices at that time.

If they all crashed into the water, they would probably all survive. They would be no alive PPG pilots if they all crashed into the rock. But many crashed on top of the trees, including myself.

So I survived. No kiter was eaten by the shark yet.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:56 am

downunder wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:16 am
Fatalities number are related to conditions and choices at that time.

If they all crashed into the water, they would probably all survive. They would be no alive PPG pilots if they all crashed into the rock. But many crashed on top of the trees, including myself.

So I survived. No kiter was eaten by the shark yet.
Just over half are hitting a solid object.. beach, wall, buoy, boat. Way better off landing on water! Unfortunately there are knockout drownings.. ride with friends.. have had a friend pull out another friend face down clean knocked out.. thankfully it was a close knit session and he got to him quick to get his head above water.

As for the big fish.. 2 in new cal, one in florida.. all body dragging :-0 but u know not really a big concern.

I think Rick I once said it is all quite as depressing subject and I agree; however, at the end of the day knowing the stats and knowing what happened can help with risk reduction if that is what people want. I was inspired to collect data after getting a message from the mum of 14yo windsurfer with olympic aspirations asking me if it was true that kitesurfing was as safe as any other sport, as the dumb $#% that started the IKO wrote in his report to world sailing/ the IOC a few years back.

Return to “Kitesurfing”