Local Beach: Panama City Beach, FL
Style: free
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Mako board and Epic Screamer kites
Shinnster for strapless light wind
Slingshot foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Quinko valves, anyone?

Postby langfordja » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:03 pm

I posted three years ago and have since used lots of these valves with zero problems.

Almost every kite I have ever owned eventually has valve problems. First with factory seals coming loose and then - if you use the kite long enough - issues with adhesive. For me, These glue-less quinko valves solve the adhesive problem

There is a distinct possibility that I am using kites way past their life expectancy.

I stopped using the little screw (that fouls the main valve threads). This screw locks the “nut“ but I have never had a nut come loose. The elastic properties of the red donut push against the nut, once tightened, preventing it from unscrewing.
So I don’t consider this a con.

No issues with hose clamps so I don’t consider this a con.

I have not noticed the weight being an issue, so I don’t consider this a con.

I was unable to come up with a no-adhesive solution for tiny struts (Sleeve opening too small to pass the rigid valve through).

I also still have to use adhesive for valves that need a bigger air flow opening.

International shipping was less of an issue on large orders - once I committed to using these valves and ordered a bunch.
These users thanked the author langfordja for the post:
Pemba (Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:46 am)
Rating: 3.03%

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:45 pm

Which prompts the question, why don't adopt similar glueless design for production kite bladders? I actually don't see why it needs 5 pieces, when 2 plastic parts would be enough.

One plate at the bottom with the cylinder head threaded to be screwed into the top plate. After screwing the top plate into the bottom one the bladder sheet is clamped between them. Yes, the bladder film might be not elastic enough to pass the bottom plate through the hole in the bladder. Yet, for production the valves can be installed with the access to both sides before the bladder is sealed.

You may argue that the last thing kite industry needs is bladders lasting indefinitely. Well, the issue is more subtle. Remember 2015, when all it took a manufacturing defect and faulty batch of bladders to bring down the Best Kiteboarding? (Granted, this was not the only reason, but a contributing factor).

langfordja
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Slingshot foil

Postby langfordja » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:30 pm

Update.

Almost every old kite I own has these valves installed. I’ve never had a problem with them.

langfordja
Rare Poster
Slingshot foil

Postby langfordja » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:38 pm

One comment/response to tegirl…s post, on simplifying the design.

To help prevent leaks, it is best to keep the valve hole in the bladder, as small as possible. The quinko multi- piece design allows you to insert all the pieces inside the bladder through the smallest possible opening. And then easily assemble them (inside the bladder).

I do have some design change suggestions, but “less parts” is not one of them.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:14 pm

What is their solution for the main LE valve? Speaking of the main valve, sure you can use this large opening to insert quite substantial bottom plates for the other valves. And, BTW the leading edge bladder is the only bladder I care about, because the strut replacement bladders are cheap, interchangeable/standardized among the kite models, and, finally, the kite can be perfectly flown with the struts deflated.

langfordja
Rare Poster
Slingshot foil

Postby langfordja » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:43 pm

Good question about the large valve on the main. The same type of valve, only larger, might work, but I don’t think the boys in the lab are working on it. Sadly, this glueless design did not catch fire on the kite market, so I don’t think there is much R&D money being pumped into the project. Actually, I may be the only person (in the world) that loves these valves. And I am still waiting for my free valves to arrive, since I’ve been pimping them for years.

Back to the large valve. I use one stick-on valve per kite. The rest are quinko’s.

Someone made a comment about kite manufacturers using (or not using) these glueless valves. There is no way that will ever happen, even if anyone else liked them. The current factory valves and adhering process could not be any less expensive. And since they last longer than most new-kite buyers need, why would manufacturers fix what ain’t broke.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:45 am

These look really good to me. I wasn't aware they existed but I like them for the reasons mentioned before. I've had a number of kites perishing/ripping usually after a few valve replacements so I don't think they would extend my kites lives, but it would make sense to me if they'd be factory installed, though that probably won't happen. Aquasure works very well and is probably cheaper, maybe much cheaper but it is a bit of a pain. I wonder how re usable (as in remove from old kite and re use in another one) these are.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Re: QUINKO valves, anyone?

Postby Pemba » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:47 am

kiterocky wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:02 pm
With AQUASURE i repair in one minute.... :D :D
One tube 15euro 1 kite.... :D
Do you clean/remove the old glue from the base of the valve coming off ? If so how ?

langfordja
Rare Poster
Slingshot foil

Postby langfordja » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:11 am

Pemba asked about re-use. I assume he was talking about the quinko’s.
Re-use is definitely possible because they are pretty easy to install and remove (after the learning curve flattens).
Although I don’t think I have actually disposed of a kite that I put quinko’s in.
There is also a chance that the red silicone discs may not last forever especially when you bend and stretch them, which is required during installation and removal. I asked the company (or just “the guy”) for extra red silicone discs. He included a few with my order but indicated that he didn’t have many extras and didn’t want to break up complete valve sets.
These users thanked the author langfordja for the post:
Pemba (Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:54 pm

Bump

I think mechanical connection valves are the future to solve so many issues. Would be nice if all valves on kites came stock like this , thus could be installed/removed/replaced without adhesive or weld.

https://kite1replacement1valve1repair1n ... works-new/

Quinko valves seem great except possibly a little overbuilt. I see no reason why all the parts couldn’t be plastic if designed right. Although many people who have experienced nipples cracking off may say otherwise. According to the site these are 25g which according to him can be more or less than factory totals depending on the whole system used including hose and clamps. The quinko system uses a very small and light hose which makes up some ground keeping the weight competitive. I would say the gaskets could be thinner, and probably all the parts could be plastic, although the shaft/nipple being aluminum has merit on durability for sure.

I am sure a design could be produced that is even lighter, durable, and still uses the same basic principles.

Price is very competitive compared to self stick replacements most people are using.
45D04461-9FCD-449B-BE11-6E677E9E538B.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153619215880

Are mechanically attached valves the future? Do you think kite companies might adopt this approach with their own designs? Would this type of system have saved you headaches? Would your old beloved kites still be in use today if only the valves still held air? Would you stop worrying about heat etc delaminating your valves and ruining your life, if every valve on your kite was screwed tight to the bladder?

Its time to revisit this concept here on kiteforum with some more discussion. Lets hear what you have to say.
These users thanked the author Greenturtle for the post (total 2):
Sarda (Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:08 pm) • roastkiter (Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:06 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”