Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Apple Watch Series 2...

Postby joriws » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:13 am

ldmelo wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:29 pm
joriws wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:19 am
Yes, the Jesse-video is what we Android Wear-users have had for a long time. And indeed it is displaying IMU-device reading over bluetooth realtime. I use it too with very cheap Sony Smartwatch-clock like Jesse does.
Did they mention to which smartwatch? I will probably buy a smartwatch in the next months and that would make a big difference ...
Sony Smartwatch-3 is what is on the Jesse-video and I've it as well. It still is the "newest" version of Sony's line. Old but good enough for the purpose and very cheap today.

LindaValdez
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hainan Island
Favorite Beaches: Hainan Island
Style: Mountain bike
Gear: Holbox
Brand Affiliation: NO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LindaValdez » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:04 am

The software is very good, I am very happy to have such software to view some of the tides, but I think I will never wear the Apple Watch in the ocean. I already have an Apple Watch Sport watch band but I am not sure if an Apple watch can be worn while surfing at the beach. Is there any way I can protect my Apple watch from water intrusion?

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:11 am

LindaValdez wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:04 am
The software is very good, I am very happy to have such software to view some of the tides, but I think I will never wear the Apple Watch in the ocean. I already have an Apple Watch Sport watch band but I am not sure if an Apple watch can be worn while surfing at the beach. Is there any way I can protect my Apple watch from water intrusion?
Hí Linda,

I use my Apple Watch 3 all the time during my sessions without extra protection, not necessary..

extremenomads
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Pak Nam Pran - Thailand
Style: newschool
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Extreme Nomads

Postby extremenomads » Sun May 10, 2020 12:21 pm

Hey guys,

just been researching all morning about the warranty status for the Apple Watch series 2-4. It's quite confusing to say the least. Has anyone ever had to deal with a warranty claim from water damage happening during kitesurfing yet?

The yesses I found so far:

Lots of people use it and never had any issues, waterproofing wise anyway.
Apple advertised the watch with surfing shots.
There's an app especially for kitesurfing, made by apple for the apple watch. (not sure if it's actually made by Apple, or by a third party who got approved on the App store?)
My own opinion from experience is that ATM5 is more than enough for kitesurfing. Maybe the hardest crash when waterskiing at pro level would be enough to crack it, but I don't see how you'd get that much force kitesurfing, or surfing.

The nos: Well, the NO
From Apple itself, that article about warranty, that some here already quoted. "Apple Watch Series 2 and newer may be used for shallow water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 2 and newer shouldn't be used for scuba diving, water skiing, or other activities involving high velocity water or submersion below shallow depth."

So, If I get this right: this watch is definitely suitable and even pretty great for kitesurfing, and actually implicitly advertised for it, but if anything happens, you won't get a replacement unless you got apple care.

Would you agree, or not?

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RadDrDuke » Mon May 11, 2020 2:55 pm

I kite more than most people (3-4x week all year long) and I always wear my apple watch series 3. I also surf several days weekly, shallow freedive, and fish (and do whatever else I want) with it on. You do not have to worry about water coming in, it is fully waterproof and very impact resistant. If you hit the face on a rock you will crack it though as expected.

extremenomads
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Pak Nam Pran - Thailand
Style: newschool
Gear: Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: Extreme Nomads

Postby extremenomads » Mon May 11, 2020 6:07 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:55 pm
I kite more than most people (3-4x week all year long) and I always wear my apple watch series 3. I also surf several days weekly, shallow freedive, and fish (and do whatever else I want) with it on. You do not have to worry about water coming in, it is fully waterproof and very impact resistant. If you hit the face on a rock you will crack it though as expected.
Thank you for your input. Indeed I understand that it seems perfectly fine for kitesurfing and most other watersports, in fact we included it because some of our friends were really satisfied with it, as you are, but since this is a product we recommend to our readers, I feel we have a responsibility to notify what the warranty covers or not. It's important to know exactly what the situation would be if there's ever an issue. Could even be a faulty model that would have leaked at the first shower, but if it happens while kitesurfing, chances are Apple won't agree to a replacement, citing the high velocity water paragraph of their website.

My best guess is that either they're just waiting to hear enough feedback (or the absence of it, as in no claims of damage from this sport in particular), or they're actually happy about the status quo as it might help sell more Apple Care subscriptions.

In any case, I think we'll add a disclaimer noting that any water damage on this watch resulting from kiting would not be valid for a warranty claim. I've also tried to contact Garmin to see what their stance on the topic is, will update here if I get an answer.

Return to “Kitesurfing”