Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

gear for micro weight

Postby ragzilla » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:44 am

howdy folks.

im building a little quiver for a niece who is a foster kid.
i think i know what she needs to get started, but she & I are at completely different weight spectrum, so i just want to get some opinions about setting her up.
Knowing what's best for my kiting, does not mean i know what is best for her riding.
When i started out, i bought cheap 2011 5line C, and a high rocker 138x43 ...... it was terrible gear for a 120kg / 265lb rider to learn on..... it held me back so much for the first 12 months until i bought the right gear and it all clicked within 2 sessions.
i dont want the same thing to happen to her, coz being young and easily distracted, i just believe that if it doesnt all click for her withing 4/5 sessions, then she wont take to kiting.

she has been begging me for a while for me to teach her, and i would really like to see her take to it. She has a troubled upbringing, so im hoping kiting will do for her, what it has done for me.
I purposely procrastinated through winter, coz nobody is going to get pumped and take to the sport in the middle of winter.
but now, suns out & guns out, time to get her out there.

so she's a 15yo girl, and she is a tiny little thing weighing 45-50Kg (100-110pound)
ive organized her a good cond 09 SS rev2 7m , and i can put her on my 9m RPM if needed.
for a board i will throw her on my old 141x41, she could probably get something like a 128 -132, but start her big and see if she takes to it first.

harness-
im really stuck on a harness.
whats the difference between womans & mens harness?
is it just the sizing & pretty color?
or do they have a different shape or something
im stumped on getting her a seat or a waist.
she is a tall girl, so wont struggle with the reach, but will a seat harness give her more weight because she is so light? (lower center of gravity)
have any light weights tried both seat & waist and found pro's vs con's ??

kite-
just interested on advice from other light weights quiver sizes?
what quiver do your kids have??
kiting local lake waters, mostly flat water & rolling swell & very light white water
anywhere from 13-25knots..... i dont want her out in anymore while starting out.
7 & 9 ??
or
7 & 11 ??

advice?

RETZ
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: gear for micro weight

Postby RETZ » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:40 am

7 and 9 should be fine for her weight. 9 at the low end and 7 for the upper half is about right.

I have my daughter on a dakine chameleon and its working great. its a waist harness with leg straps to keep it from riding up.

good luck!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”