Favorite Beaches: World
Style: Everything
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: www.ComeKiteWithUs.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

India Kitesurf! Review & Guide

Postby ComeKiteWithUs » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:11 pm

Myself and Ryan Curtright from ComeKiteWithUs recently this summer had the chance to visit, explore and kitesurf INDIA. Imagine being far away from home in a land so foreign that it takes the feeling of wind to remind you that you are still on the same planet, that is India. I have written an article recently in KiteWorld Magazine "Indian Summer" over my wanderlust with a kite. You can read this and a quick guide that I made on this amazingly unknown and uncharted land for kiting. Hope you enjoy and this might inspire you to travel more!! Any feedback on more spots is totally welcomed...

http://www.comekitewithus.com/blog

Jruffing
Rare Poster
Local Beach: El Cuyo, Mexico
Style: All
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: India Kitesurf! Review & Guide

Postby Jruffing » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:53 pm

:)

RyanTheory
Rare Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: 2016 naish park 10m
2016 naish pivot 8m, 12m
2015 naish skater 5'2
2015 naigh dub 138
2014 ronix park boots

Postby RyanTheory » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:27 am

It was such an epic time traveling with you bro! Nice write ups!!!

Any of the readers here on kite forum ever been to India....or even better kite it? We would love to hear about it if you have. Or if you have any other questions, let us know.
-Ryan

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:55 am

Done it, stepped in the human shit. Here's a video of me kiting in Mahabs, just south of Chennai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyGcn6-WAo8

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:04 pm

After 2+ weeks cycling across southern India I looked forward to a ocean swim. I found the same as Adventure Logs ,SHIT all along the beach .

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:10 pm

I lived in India for 3 years. Nothing surprises me or grosses me out anymore. There is beauty in India, but you gotta look for it.

=Jason-

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Been living in Chennai for more than two years and kite there frequently... winds are not too bad, but regular size is 15 or my 17m turbine!

To avoid shit:
- go to the beach of the Fishermans Cove hotel and "bribe" The Beach Boys with some tips! The beach is not accessible to locals so they can not shit there... also, we trained the boys to start and land
- go to the newly opened Intercontinental! They allow kiters to use the beach and u can do a downwinder to Fishcove...
- go further south to Ideal Beach and do a 30km downwinder to Fishcove... this was my regular kite session... once had a school of dolphins further out...

Don't come close to shore at fisher villages, it's basically kiting in a sewage ;)

Best place in Chennai is the airport - in 45 mins u are in SriLanka which has perfect conditions!

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:28 pm

There is beauty there, and plenty of other things to do. Travel is a great thing ...much better places to kite.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:44 pm

heinzbush wrote:Been living in Chennai for more than two years and kite there frequently... winds are not too bad, but regular size is 15 or my 17m turbine!

To avoid shit:
- go to the beach of the Fishermans Cove hotel and "bribe" The Beach Boys with some tips! The beach is not accessible to locals so they can not shit there... also, we trained the boys to start and land
- go to the newly opened Intercontinental! They allow kiters to use the beach and u can do a downwinder to Fishcove...
- go further south to Ideal Beach and do a 30km downwinder to Fishcove... this was my regular kite session... once had a school of dolphins further out...

Don't come close to shore at fisher villages, it's basically kiting in a sewage ;)

Best place in Chennai is the airport - in 45 mins u are in SriLanka which has perfect conditions!
International teacher or work in textile? I did 3 years there, got out in 2011. Learned to kite after which kinda blows because I think I would have enjoyed it more. They finish the metro yet? I agree, 100 bucks round trip to Sri Lanka is the way to go.

RyanTheory
Rare Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: 2016 naish park 10m
2016 naish pivot 8m, 12m
2015 naish skater 5'2
2015 naigh dub 138
2014 ronix park boots

Postby RyanTheory » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:59 am

Awesome reading your replies!

We were lucky. Ramashwaram has pristine waters. Clear blue to such an extent that sometimes you forget you are in India and feel like you could be in the Caribbean somewhere. Winds nuke there, so 9-10m every day during the summer months. Often times we were kiting with no one anywhere in site. It is an adventure to get there, but a rewarding place to kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”