Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: Belgian kiter (64) found dead after a night long search - Netherlands

Postby Bille » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:45 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Bille wrote:A Satellite gps tracker , might have saved his life, in a scenario like this .
You'd be way better served with an emergency PLB than that Spot thingy:

http://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/
I agree --- the PLB1 looks to be a better devise than SPOT, (for emergency rescue) !! :thumb:
edt wrote:You don't need a satellite tracker. all he had to do is not release the kite. from the plane you can see a kite for many miles a swimmer you can't see.
Doesn't make any sense, that a guy would avoid using current technology to save his own
life ; is this like male EGO or something ? Why depend on a kites visibility to be saved ; when
the emergency crew cold have your exact position within 30-ft if Ya had a tracker ?

Like i already said : "A Satellite gps tracker , might have saved his life, in a scenario like this" .

Bille

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:56 pm

trackers are fine. It's just learning that you can climb on top of your kite when you get blown out to sea is a more primitive rescue skill everyone should have. So for instance everyone first needs to learn how to use the QR everyone needs to learn how to body drag then after they master that you buy a tracker. You don't buy a tracker because you decided you didn't feel like learning how to body drag. Nobody teaches that you can climb on top of your kite to save yourself! I mean I have a lot of examples. Another example a friend of mine almost died, she got caught in her lines offshore conditions. Was about 5 minutes from drowning when she got picked up by a boat (lucky). I asked her when you found out you were tangled up in your lines why didn't you climb on top of your kite? Even if you can't swim if you are on top of your kite you wouldn't be in danger of drowning. Her answer? "I never really thought of that." What if your tracker is out of batteries for goodness sake? What if you buy it and 5 years pass you forget to check the batteries what then? Basic skills are always important. Climbing on top of the kite is a skill kite instructors don't seem to teach. It's not much of a skill, just something you have to remember.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby corbett » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:02 pm

I have one of these proper GBP PLB things. Problem is, I never found out how reliable it is. Is it 40% or is it 100% reliable?

If one is from Belgium and he's in another country, does that complicate matters? If I am in Russia and the thing is registered in Britain, then WTF?

Billie, my kiter paraglider friend of mine who kites and paraglides alone never even heard of a PLB when I showed it to him last month! crazy.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:26 pm

corbett wrote: ...

Billie, my kiter paraglider friend of mine who kites and paraglides alone never even heard of a PLB when I showed it to him last month! crazy.
What did he say when Ya showed it to him ?

Some people say there a waist of money ; but i know people who actually got rescued
because they had one.

I first learned about SPOT when i entered the 2010 nationals for HG ; the SPOT was used
to confirm that the user had actually completed all the tasks for the day, without cutting
out one of the turn-points. The SPOT leaves a cookie on a Google map every :15-min. The
devise is also great to follow a person, if your the driver who is suppose to pick-up the guy.

Bille

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:35 pm

This Thread is about a dead-guy ; so i deleted my last post out of respect .

Bille

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:03 am

corbett wrote:I have one of these proper GBP PLB things. Problem is, I never found out how reliable it is. Is it 40% or is it 100% reliable?

If one is from Belgium and he's in another country, does that complicate matters? If I am in Russia and the thing is registered in Britain, then WTF?
A good PLB works all over the world, but keep in mind the country you are in might not participate in Sarsat, which is the body that runs the system and handles the notifications. I would imagine they would notify the nearest participating country as well as your home country though.

PLBs use a GPS receiver to triangulate your position and then transmit that position to a satellite network that relays it to Sarsat. If you are in a steep valley or Fjord it might not be able to acquire the 4 GPS signals needed to triangulate your position. In that case they will not be able to transmit your location to Sarsat. Newer beacons use doppler shift to measure your position within 2 km and can fall back to that.

PLBs also transmit a signal on 121.5 MHz designed to find crashed planes, it does not use satellites at all.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby alamos_kiter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:09 am

Wouldn't it be wise to be well trained, able to read a weather forecast, ask the local crew, and adjust your decisions properly before starting to fumble around with technical toys? What kind of approach is this, "a yeah I probably get in trouble kiting today, but they will fish me out with a 100.000$ operation the taxpayer pays for, because I wear that PLB!"

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:54 am

Sure Alamos. Break one of the golden rules then be prepared for your final session.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:34 pm

alamos_kiter wrote:Wouldn't it be wise to be well trained, able to read a weather forecast, ask the local crew, and adjust your decisions properly before starting to fumble around with technical toys? What kind of approach is this, "a yeah I probably get in trouble kiting today, but they will fish me out with a 100.000$ operation the taxpayer pays for, because I wear that PLB!"
Exactly, we had the same thing happen recently here in Boston. I bunch of Noobs ignored the forecast that predicted a midday shift in the wind and several had to be rescued.. :angryfire: :angryfire:

My response was more gear towards the other thread about all the kiters getting stuck offshore, not this one..
Last edited by matth on Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:30 pm

matth wrote:
alamos_kiter wrote:Wouldn't it be wise to be well trained, able to read a weather forecast, ask the local crew, and adjust your decisions properly before starting to fumble around with technical toys? What kind of approach is this, "a yeah I probably get in trouble kiting today, but they will fish me out with a 100.000$ operation the taxpayer pays for, because I wear that PLB!"
Exactly, we had the same thing happen recently here in Boston. I bunch of Noobs ignored the forecast that predicted a midday shift in the wind and several had to be rescued.. :angryfire: :angryfire:
At matth and alamos :

do you guys use a seatbelt , when you drive in a car ?
How many times have you actually needed a seatbelt in the past ?

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”