Forum for kitesurfers
tallakt
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Survey for an electric skateboard

Postby tallakt » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:40 pm

Nope. The onewheel is not for me. I'm quite sure of it. the leiftech is onto something I believe...

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP

Postby gmb13 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:50 pm

What the world of eskateboards needs is one that has a battery that would comply with Air Traffic rules so that the board can be taken on planes legally. That is a major issue.

I wanted to sell eskateboards in my shop on Fuerteventura, but the problem is that if someone buys one they cannot take it home with them at the end of their holiday.

Make one that is legal on all airlines, and I will be the first to stock them.

--
Gunnar

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:57 pm

gmb13 wrote:What the world of eskateboards needs is one that has a battery that would comply with Air Traffic rules so that the board can be taken on planes legally. That is a major issue.

I wanted to sell eskateboards in my shop on Fuerteventura, but the problem is that if someone buys one they cannot take it home with them at the end of their holiday.

Make one that is legal on all airlines, and I will be the first to stock them.

--
Gunnar
Nor can you use them anywhere except private land as an electric skateboard is a vehicle.

tallakt
Medium Poster

Postby tallakt » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Yeah. Legislation is an issue. I was thinking to use standard battery cells that could be purchased separately (eg tesla cells). Also it would be difficult or impossible to get a skateboard to comply with EU laws - nearest would be as an electric bike. That law requires pedals and a bell/ringer. I can only hope there will be a separate legislation for electric skateboards in the future.

It seems everyone else are selling illegal boards now, so it seems I'll have to work from there also.

Batteries on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Panasonic ... SwFe5XyXZP

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm

The thing that is unique about onewheel is that is the only truly all terrain board. None of the other brands come close to that. I think also the balancing to control is quite unique and intuitive, just like kiting or snowboarding.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:49 pm

yojimbo wrote:Is this kinda what you are talking about designing: http://www.leiftech.com ?

They've taken a Freeboard, http://freebord.com and mounted and electric motor.

Haven't tried either, but it definitely looks like fun. Anyone tried either of these and able to talk about how similar it is to kiting in waves?

The Evolve GT looks sick. $2k for an electric skateboard, holy shit.

One of the challenges with the freeboard is having to climb hills, since there is no chair lift. Kinda kills the endless wave feel. Most electric skateboards max out at a 20% grade. Looking for something that climbs hills and yet is light enough to strap on my back on the descent with the freeboard.

The evolve GT in GT mode will smash 20 percent gradient. But it does suck the juice. Yeh it's expensive but worth it, it's what I do when's there's no wind or swell. Also to work and back 20km away.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:56 pm

make a faster one wheel...lol

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:40 am

I really think the electric skateboard is a dead end. Like kite race boards, they were a great idea until something came along that changed all the parameters. Who the hell wants to be restricted to paved surfaces going forward? Add hands free intuitive balance point control and a bit of natural carving as bonus and its just obvious the future is not a skateboard wheel, any more than its a few 50 cm fins on the bottom of a kiteboard.

You really think the onewheel is not your thing yet haven't tried one? It's a concept that on face value alone is enough to convince most, but maybe try one before you pour your time and resources into an already crowded lemming race off a cliff.

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:57 pm

I had a go on this device about a year or so ago - Mellow electric skateboard . Retrofits to any existing board - has a 10-15 km range and can so 30-40 km hr. and is ligt. uses frictionless motors in the wheels and li ion batteries

fantastic device - not cheap

http://www.mellowboards.com/video/

tallakt
Medium Poster

Postby tallakt » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:52 pm

I have a rather good overview on any boards present on the internet at this point. I've been working with this idea now for more than a year. I'v seen the mellowboard, and if you say it's a fantastic device, that's good news for me. I might end up actually buying one for myself :) (ouch, it's 1700 euro)

Wrt to the onewheel, yeah I'd love to own one, or even try one. But I am not looking for the sweetest ride available. I am building a novel new board to see if I can make it 'click'. I do appreciate that there already are many nice rides out there. Even the Hoverboards deserve some merit... It's just not what I'm trying to do.

Also the onewheel if $1500 - I just don't have the funds for every single board out there. No boards out there are quite similar to what I am going for...

Return to “Kitesurfing”