Do helmets save your head? - Survey

Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Do helmets save your head? - Survey

Postby L0KI » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:04 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:Nah, you have no idea how any of the beaches are here, and you think the wind blows at a consistant lightwind breeze all the time.
Smart people like me don't need a helmet is because I stay far away from rocks and poles, you know, anything that I could possibly hit my head on.
Launching at a beach with rocks and poles? No problem, just take the kite in the water.
See when you play it safe, there is no need for all the protective gear. Kiteboarding is not rocket science, all you have to do is think smart.
But I understand, you want your helmet.
My parents retired about an hour north of Orlando 30 years ago, and two of my brothers live in Florida, I've been to a good number of beaches between Texas and New Smyrna.
In 30-40 knots of wind the launches up and down the Hood River area are nothing like your local.
That is one example among a thousand places you've never kited, do you comprehend?
90% of the time I do not wear my helmet because it can be hard on my broke as fuk neck, but I do 10% of the time when the launch is fukt and the wind is really up.
As Alamos said about you... "Kiting since 2015" ..."Reminds me of my 11yo when she explains to me how the world as a whole works."
All your posts on this thread are about your one year kiting the gulf coast of north Florida.
Big kiting world out there, and you can't see past the end of your nose.
If you had a half a brain you would acknowledge there are other places and other people having very different kiting experiences than yours.
Last edited by L0KI on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:43 pm

L0KI wrote:You still don't understand that this subject/thread is not about only you?....geez you're a slow learner.

Then quit talking to me you stupid idiot. That's what happens when you talk to someone, they respond back.
L0KI wrote:90% of the time I do not wear my helmet because it can be hard on my broke as fuk neck
Now you're telling me that comfort is more important than surviving a hard impact to the head. That is amazing, but hey, this thread isn't about you now is it???

Looks like I have won this dispute, next time when someone makes a knowlegable posting, you will know not to argue with them like a jackass. Now do us all a favor and take a good look at yourself in the mirror, and I want you to put a dumbass stamp on your forehead...

I'm done.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:36 am

As usual, you missed the point completely, posting and responding is not a problem.
Unfortunately, after 22 kiters have posted 6 pages you've still absorbed nothing...so you are right, my expecting you might eventually comprehend is stupid.
A half dozen people have pointed out that you're saying ignorant things and you still think your posts have been knowledgeable, there is no dispute.
As I said all along, my choice to wear/not wear a helmet is individual and based on what dangers are in a given location.
You can't seem to grasp that a helmet is smart in some situations for some people and no helmet can be right for others.
My problem with you is your shooting your LOL mouth off when you've so obviously experienced so little.
Last edited by L0KI on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:46 am

corbett wrote:I've never found a watersports helmet which is fully compatible with any of my decent coverage sunglasses. This is my problem with helmets:).
Hey is that you ? :D

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:38 am

PullStrings wrote:
corbett wrote:I've never found a watersports helmet which is fully compatible with any of my decent coverage sunglasses. This is my problem with helmets:).
Hey is that you ? :D

To be honest, I wear a bloody bicycle helmet at the minute :D It looks bad but I have no problems with my sunglasses.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:33 am

It's an extreme sport even if you ride in a mils manner.

But there is a test you can do. If you pass you go ahead and don't wear a helmet.

1)Get a nice big strong friend to smack you as hard as he and on the top of your head with the rail of your board.of a
2) have him do the same with your board, but this time with the composite fin.

If you enjoyed that and don't have lacerations and blood running down your head then go ahead and don't wear a helmet.

With a really good snug kayaking helmet you can barely tell you have it on.

The whole whiplash because of a helmet is complete bullshit. Hair will cause more resistance and more deceleration than the glossy smooth surface
of a sun helmet.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 8 10 12 13 15. Foilboard ( Masts 75 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:39 am

"The whole whiplash because of a helmet is complete bullshit. Hair will cause more resistance and more deceleration than the glossy smooth surface
of a sun helmet."

its not due to surface finish... its surface area - simplified in 2d - any extra diameter due to helmet you need to multiply by 3.14.

Jump off a cliff just 10ft high and land off centre - you know about! huge increases forces.

Everyone wear what they want i reckon. So many factors - one i know of is heat - but if you ride somewhere cold..... keeps ya head warm...

RobH
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver, BC
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Island
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Maui Boardriding Cloud .5 with CCS bar
Alex Aguera Freeride board and foil
Ride Engine Harness
Kurtis Surf Goggles

Postby RobH » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:53 am

FredBGG wrote:The whole whiplash because of a helmet is complete bullshit. Hair will cause more resistance and more deceleration than the glossy smooth surface of a sun helmet.
I liked what you said about deciding to wear a helmet or not, but unfortunately you lost me on this incorrect statement. Deceleration is the major drawback of wearing a helmet in kiting.
I don't have much hair as it is, but add another 2-3" diameter to my head with a helmet is a huge difference! If someone made a thin skullcap style helmet for kiting that could keep the increase in diameter to a minimum, I would gladly buy it.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 8 10 12 13 15. Foilboard ( Masts 75 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:41 am

i gonna ask an ex world champion wakeboarder what they think and get back here....

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride
Gear: AGAMA KOMODO board, Affinis 12m kite
Brand Affiliation: AGAMA EXTREME

Postby abel » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:09 am

RobH wrote:
FredBGG wrote:The whole whiplash because of a helmet is complete bullshit. Hair will cause more resistance and more deceleration than the glossy smooth surface of a sun helmet.
I liked what you said about deciding to wear a helmet or not, but unfortunately you lost me on this incorrect statement. Deceleration is the major drawback of wearing a helmet in kiting.
I don't have much hair as it is, but add another 2-3" diameter to my head with a helmet is a huge difference! If someone made a thin skullcap style helmet for kiting that could keep the increase in diameter to a minimum, I would gladly buy it.
Did you test Gath helmets?

Return to “Kitesurfing”