Do helmets save your head? - Survey

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Do helmets save your head? - Survey

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:36 pm

A friend of mine put together the following 6 question survey to gather some real world data on our sport. He asked me to share it here. I'll post the study results when he has a large enough sample of responses.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PKQR53N
We know helmets work well for many sports. But, does it help when kiteboarding? Is the benefit of impact injuries offset by the harm of traction injuries? Help us find out. Please take the survey below. It will take less than 30 seconds to complete. I will post the results here on the forum once we have an adequate sample size.
Thanks! :thumb:

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Do helmets save your head? - Survey

Postby knotwindy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:39 pm

Done, we will see I guess but probably won't add up to much. People rarely change their minds because of facts these days!

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:18 pm

Save your head from what? Water? LOL

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:27 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:Save your head from what? Water? LOL
Oh shooshed :D

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:28 pm

Foil, sun, board, bar, and just about everything on land at our beachless rocky treed in exit, roughly in that order.

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:59 pm

Done.

Yes I have had whiplashes on the water which would have been less severe without a helmet.

But I have also been dragged along a rocky/stony beack with a kite out of control. God knows what would have happened without a helmet.

Helmets also keeps your head warm in winter and protects the scalp from the sun in summer.

The only exceptions are on really light wind days and beaches with no visible rocks/stones for kms in all directions.

Seriously wear a helmet.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:09 pm

I started to fill it out but have some serious problems with some of the very few questions (total of 6) in this survey. If the goal is to develop some useful objective information, I think it is going to have to be reworded perhaps even increased slightly in length. I know people have a short attention span but don't kill the intent with too much brevity. Anyway, dealing with specifics:

3. Have you had a traction injury or whiplash injury
yes - while wearing a helmet
yes - without a helmet
no

My answer is yes to both of these but I am unable to answer in that fashion as the survey is designed. I have had whiplash inducing impacts with a helmet on and without in the distant past. Kiting wipeouts cause such injury relatively easily as does wakeboarding for that matter with or without helmets in use (see below).

6. Have you had headaches, concussion symptoms (ie memory loss), within 24 hours of a kiteboarding session?
yes - I was wearing a helmet
yes - I was not wearing a helmet
no

My answer should be "Yes - I was wearing a helmet." The rejoinder is my doctor said I would have died without it? Did the helmet contribute to the concession and related symptoms, no. It acted to reduce them, as designed. Tons of wakeboarders routinely have concussions without helmets, all it takes is a sudden stop from high speed to bounce your brain around in your skull to trigger one after all. Also, I should answer yes-I was not wearing a helmet (headaches are caused by a lot more things than concussion after all). This question makes no sense in short given the range of responses which the wording won't catch.

I appreciate your friend trying to develop some useful information but I would say to go back and have another wack at the survey design to come up with meaningful results.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:53 pm

I wear a helmet for the big hit that I hope never comes, but it prevents me from stitches or at least a good lump on the head once a year due to board and fin hits during wrecks. The situations are all unique to specific conditions, but when I get hit in the head with a fin and get to keep riding like it never happened, I'm real happy to be wearing a helmet!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:59 pm

It would be Pointless for LetsFlyaKite to use a helmet ; there simply is NOT enough
of a brain there , to bother protecting . :lol:

For those of us with actual cognitive resources ; might be a good idea to protect them !! :thumb:

Bille

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:25 pm

Last edited by alamos_kiter on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”