Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Do helmets save your head? - Survey

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:00 am

L0KI wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:Are you done with your grasshopper speech now?
More listening/learning/watching and less shooting your noob mouth off.
Read what Captain (kiting since 2004) just said and try to expand your very limited knowledge/experience base.
Your local conditions (no wind Florida) is not the only place where people kite.

You're right about that, lets see, instead of a being at a florida beach with sand and water, they are kiting in another location, with sand and water....

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:37 am

Last edited by alamos_kiter on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:38 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:You're right about that, lets see, instead of a being at a florida beach with sand and water, they are kiting in another location, with sand and water....
......and more wind, rocks, trees, power poles, bridges, buildings, sea walls, piers, cars, picnic pavilions, jetties, etc.
Are you familiar with the lakes in Texas, all the kite spots near Ocean Rodeo in BC, the Hood River OR area launches, Lake Mohave NV, lake Como Italy, lakes in Michigan, New York, Southern Ontario?
There are forum members who kite in all these locations, a number of them on this thread, ask if it is all sand and water or do some simple searches on past threads.
The closest kiting spot to my home (one mile away) is a lake that is completely surrounded by a shoreline of limestone rock, mistakes can be bloody at this spot.
About 13 years ago, a buddy of mine made a mistake during launch and ended up with 51 stitches across the back of his head, the guy who took him to the hospital is the guy who drown in Hatteras years later.
More listening/reading/watching and less assuming you have it all figured out already.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:01 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote: ...

Are you done with your grasshopper speech now?
I'm not ; you mr --LetsFlyaKite-- are an obnoxious Lill A-((O)) with a really Big EGO
but
Ya ain't got Shit to back it up . :yourock:---------------------------------------------------(Not)!

Bille

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:25 am

Done. I always wear an helmet and a floatation vest, no matter the conditions. In my home spot there aren't only kites, there are motorboats, windsurfers, etc. This means that the hypothetical damage hasn't to be necessary caused by kiteboarding itself.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:07 am

i wear an impact vest too....I was referring to the full pfd that some people wear.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:53 pm

L0KI wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:You're right about that, lets see, instead of a being at a florida beach with sand and water, they are kiting in another location, with sand and water....
......and more wind, rocks, trees, power poles, bridges, buildings, sea walls, piers, cars, picnic pavilions, jetties, etc.
Want to know the best way to avoid hitting your head on these objects? ...... Just don't kite by them.
And you have no idea where the hell in florida I live so how about taking your own advice and doing more listening more learning :roll: You've been kiting for how long? Honestly it sounds like you have never kited in your life...

You can fall and hit your head when you go grocery shopping, but I don't see any of you padding down for that, or even when you drive. When you drive a car you could suffer worse, you could even die, where is your helmet for that?

You don't ever see aaron hadlow padding down before he kites, I shouldn't have to pad down either.

No one on here is going to make me wear a helmet, end of story...

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:29 pm

Helmet use is about informed choice. Get good information, think about it with an open mind and choose. Try not to put fashion considerations ahead of keeping your brain in a functioning state as many are prone to do. As long as an avoidable accident doesn't harm others, shut down access or cause too much pain or hardship to your family and friends, have at it. If you wear a helmet, make certain it fits the tasks at hand well.

Here is a case of a guy who was knocked into coma, paralysis and a state of diminished mental capacity for the rest of his life in summer time South Florida. Sounds cooler than messing your hair up right?
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=743

Speaking of messing your hair up, helmets can do more than potentially reduce head impact trauma, they can also help with abrasion in some cases. Here was a guy in the Bahamas, who survived but with a lot of skin loss and pain.
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=389

Here is another one in summer time South Florida, where the guy came very close to being killed but wasn't thanks to a helmet.
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=10215

There are so many other cases, write ups including fatalities involving very experienced kiters in 11 to 15 kts., these are just a few.

Helmets won't guarantee avoiding injury or even death, but they might make all the difference in the world. Choose well.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:11 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:Save your head from what? Water? LOL
LetsFlyaKite wrote:When you kitesurf, there is water around you. When you fall, you fall in water.... I don't get how falling in water is going to put a dent in your head, unless you're a sensitive man who is afraid of falling. Which in that case, I can see why someone would wear a helmet.
But if you're a tough man like me, and aren't afraid of a little beating, then you will realize that there is nothing out there that is going to hurt your head.
LetsFlyaKite wrote: Want to know the best way to avoid hitting your head on these objects? ...... Just don't kite by them.
And you have no idea where the hell in florida I live so how about taking your own advice and doing more listening more learning.
You don't ever see aaron hadlow padding down before he kites, I shouldn't have to pad down either.
No one on here is going to make me wear a helmet, end of story...
I didn't say you or any kiter had to wear a helmet.
I said you don't know what you are talking about and that you're shooting your inexperienced mouth off....again.
Your first post suggests there is nothing to hit your head on but water. LOL
Then you talk about what a tough man you are, and say again there is nothing out there that is going to hurt a kiters head.
Where you live/kite (on the north gulf coast of Florida) was never the/a question.
I gave you a specific example of a guy I knew who died by cracking his head wide open on Mustang Island in Corpus Christi on the Gulf Coast of Texas which is a physically similar location to yours but with lots more wind.
I pointed out that there are kiters who live/kite in very different places than you do....your only response is that I don't know where the hell you live and that nobody is going to make you wear a helmet.
Don't wear a helmet, but don't assume that it is not a good idea for others in windy locations full of potential head cracking obstacles.

we
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Huguenot, Atlantic Beach Jax
Favorite Beaches: Vieux Fort, St. Lucia

Postby we » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Do kiters who wear helmets have problems hearing and seeing what's going on around them? I've wakeboarded/cabled with a helmet and I found it really disrupted my sense of what's going on around me. I was "stuck" in my own "world". Same thing with snowboarding.

Every time I kite around someone wearing a helmet, I feel like they have no sense of what's going on around themselves. It's not a "right of way" issue, they are just oblivious. I'm thinking they can't hear and have their peripheral vision blocked.

Return to “Kitesurfing”