ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Boosting in the unnatural direction!

Postby ragzilla » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Exactly what brunoC said.

Go get a skateboard (only if you're not 35yo+ ) .. And go ride it everywhere you can on the opposite stance.
And I mean everywhere.
Learn to Olli opposite stance, learn to carve opposite.....
After a month solid, you will easily get your 35ft on a kite.

I did this exact method when I was younger to learn how to ride switch & blind on a wakeboard.
I'm just way too old to be riding a skateboard around the streets now.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:11 pm

dont expect too much from learning to skate switch. The thing about the human body is that muscle memory skills don't really transfer. Every time you learn a new trick you have to learn it twice. Once riding regular once riding switch. There's a nice little viddy that Progression has where they show Aaron Hadlow crashing time after time and looking like an ordinary mortal. Some kind of low mobe, something he can do in his sleep. Then they explain they got this footage because he was learning this particular trick switch.

Some don't want to waste time learning things switch I think but it's nice to learn things both regular and switch. Takes about twice as long of course because you have to teach your body how to do it both ways.

bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas

Postby bc-sf » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:18 pm

I suffer from the same affliction. (50% less capable on one side) It's a head furk for sure. Often I would start rotating forward, and more often pearl on landing. I've found that doing a front hand grab and holding has helped both of those issues. I also visualize and practice the motion of shoulder/hip/backfoot liftoff that is less conscious on my good side, and flatout wrong on my awkward side. I think i've gotten the ratio closer to 40% less capable :-?

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby corbett » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:50 pm

Last year, I attended a kiting festival/competition and they had a ramp jump competition.
To my dismay, the ramp was the wrong way around for me. I had to decline the use of it as no way could I jump in that direction:). Gutted.

Return to “Kitesurfing”