Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Stormageddon in Seattle

Postby C Johnson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:49 am

Okay so it wasn't nearly as big as they said it was going to be but it still got pretty windy right around sunset. The tree's claimed 3 kites before the day was over but thankfully everyone came back and without injuries.

I know the rest of the world sees much bigger winds than we do but people seriously die here when we have 40mph winds. Its the combo of huge trees and rain soaked ground.

quick video recap of the days activities. Please like,dislike,share or comment if you feel like it 8)

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: STORMAGEDDON IN SEATTLE

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:20 am

Very nice vid. I miss the PNW! :thumb:

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Re: STORMAGEDDON IN SEATTLE

Postby or6 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:21 am

Cool vid, dude.

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Re: Stormageddon in Seattle

Postby Randahl » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:37 pm

I was visiting Seattle this weekend and yeah that had to be the most hyped windstorm in the last decade. We were in Olympic on Saturday at Lake Crescent and the people at the lodge told us to either leave now or plan on staying there through Monday because there WOULD be downed trees everywhere. So we boogied.

I have to say that looks like manly kiting up there, big cold waters. The cold I guess you can manage with enough neoprene. I mind-kited the passage from anacortes to Orcas and imagined being a little speck out there with a downed kite getting run down by a ferry. Though not a whole lot different from kiting off Crissy in that respect.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:20 pm

Nice vid! I was in Normandy Park visiting my sister this summer but we did not get any wind. Had to go south to Hood River where it blew everyday.
Both places are beyond beautiful!

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:13 am

My preference for big wind is to go with a small kite and a big board. Less power in the kite, less chance of getting your ass handed to you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”