Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

body dragging tips please

Postby Oldpeople » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:08 am

While in all other ways I am a pretty experienced kiter, multiple front and back rotations, dark slides etc I confess that I am really crappy at body dragging back to my board after crashing. Sometimes I cruise right back up wind and other times and I never get there. So what works best for you guys? What about body position, kite position etc. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Re: body dragging tips please

Postby edt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:14 am

Best suggestion I ever heard is from Toby. Try body dragging for a minute or so but give up if it's too hard and go body drag straight towards shore. Walk back upwind and then go back out and get your board. Keep an eye on your board when you do this so you remember exactly where it is. Body dragging depends a lot on the current if the sideshore current is bad sometimes it's impossible.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:41 am

Sheet out, let the kite fly forward, make long tacks, extend front hand and body like a rudder upwind, I will also kick with my feet and pull myself with my hands upwind at times. Usually works well but sometimes it just seems impossible to get upwind..

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:20 am

When I lose my board for whatever reason I immediately, without hesitation, make a solid body drag tack in the same I was going prior to the crash. Always completely sheeted out unless I need a little power. After about 10 seconds, I take a look over my shoulder to spot the board and estimate if I need to keep going or I can turn around knowing I'll lose a bit of ground.

The only time I hate body dragging is when I'm overpowered and your stomach is in perpetual flexed mode and I'm bitching the whole time. I think that immediate tack away from the board in the direction you were previously going is important.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:44 am

lovethepirk wrote:When I lose my board for whatever reason I immediately, without hesitation, make a solid body drag tack in the same I was going prior to the crash. Always completely sheeted out unless I need a little power. After about 10 seconds, I take a look over my shoulder to spot the board and estimate if I need to keep going or I can turn around knowing I'll lose a bit of ground.

The only time I hate body dragging is when I'm overpowered and your stomach is in perpetual flexed mode and I'm bitching the whole time. I think that immediate tack away from the board in the direction you were previously going is important.
Lie on your back and pretend to be a boat 8)

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:47 am

:thumb:
edt wrote:Best suggestion I ever heard is from Toby. Try body dragging for a minute or so but give up if it's too hard and go body drag straight towards shore. Walk back upwind and then go back out and get your board. Keep an eye on your board when you do this so you remember exactly where it is. Body dragging depends a lot on the current if the sideshore current is bad sometimes it's impossible.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:53 am

Kamikuza wrote: Lie on your back and pretend to be a boat 8)
Damn, I never thought of that...Thanks for that tip, I look forward to trying that, I owe you a cold one. :thumb:

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:59 am

I just thought of something...like to hear others thoughts as well...

I've been using the Dynabar slider rope basically since I learned and about a month ago I tried the fixed hook to see the difference. I almost completely forgot I had a fixed hook after a while b/c it felt almost identical doing transitions, jumps, backrolls...But then the wind died and I had to walk upwind for a few hundred yards and DAMN was it much more difficult to walk upwind with a fixed hook.

I'm thinking that the rope slider is more efficient and comfortable when walking or dragging upwind.

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70KG
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT
Been thanked: 0

Postby gilana » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:50 am

Hi Bill...
If you have a waist harness you are already set. With a seat harness you should also pull the bar towards your face.
Imagine a stick floating in the water with a line tied around in the exact center. Pull the line and the stick will tend to be dragged side on, with max resistance.
Now move the line to say, 2/3 along, and try again, this time the stick will angle and start tacking across the pull.
When you have your harness low, like a sit harness, the pull is at the center of resistance of your body.
In order to get to slide you must tilt the top half of your body towards the pull of the kite. Easiest way of explaining is to say "pull the bar to your face, only abut half way" You should notice the speed increase. I don't agree about sheeting out, you can pull some power, but not too much as you will start planing, and skipping downwind.

An addition to this technique is to body drag on the board. Sometimes the wind dies, and you know you should not have done that last jump/trick/tack and now you have to get back. Description is for left, so right hand in mid bar, sheet halfway, left forearm across board just left of left binding, left fingers gripping toeside edge, and lifting it, left elbow pressing down. Waist should be lying loosely near right binding. This edges well and you can transfer the energy that would be wasted trying to lift you to standing stance, into an upwind course.

See you in your favorite place next year!!!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:02 am

Oldpeople wrote:While in all other ways I am a pretty experienced kiter, multiple front and back rotations, dark slides etc I confess that I am really crappy at body dragging back to my board after crashing. Sometimes I cruise right back up wind and other times and I never get there. So what works best for you guys? What about body position, kite position etc. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Hi

Body dragging does NOT have anything to do with current at all, thats for sure.

Nor waist or seat harness etc.

You are experienced so no need to waste time on the basics either, as you know "how to" bodydrag and do a superman, your problem is that sometimes it goes fast, other times you fail right ?

Well, IMO the only parameters that changes how fast your board drifts, it whether it is upside down or not, and the water surface.
But this is not the issue here.

The only thing you are doing wrong, is trying to reach your board :o

I have seen several kitesurfers with years of experience not being able to drag consistenly, one was my brother.
Because of this I had the opportunity to take a look and see what was wrong, and it was evident he tried to go at an angle upwind, trying to reach up for the board almost :wink:

DONT try to point upwind when bodydragging - most will try to point up against their board or higher up to the wind with their arm in the water, and this is wrong as you will "stall" your body and not get upwind at all :cry:

Next time out, try bodydragging "thinking" halfwind instead, and VOILA you will go upwind in a jiffy :naughty:

That is all there is to it - for some it comes natural, but for many, well maybe in fact most, it does not come natural to go "sideways" in order to go upwind - as most will point too high so to speak, and they kill the lift.
Because it is so important whether you are pointing just a few degrees too high or not, sometimes you will get to your board just fine and fast, other times you dont go nowhere and it does not work :o

It was such an "AHA" experience when I discovered others having this problem, that it also helped myself when I had difficulties - dont aim too high and you will get there much faster and at least every time, not this sometimes good sometimes not at all, it works amazing :thumb:

Those who had the problem was "cured" immediately when they just went on a lower course, thinking "halfwind" - just try it and you will be fine :rollgrin:

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”