Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Snake Attack Kiter

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1982
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: SNAKE ATTACK KITER

Postby matth » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:31 pm

L0KI wrote:I was retrieving my lost board once and was about shoulder deep in water, then I realized I was about ten feet from a water moccasin.
When he disappeared under the surface, I was really hoping he was not coming to bite...didn't see him again thankfully.
Where was this? OB, FLA

User avatar
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Snake Attack Kiter

Postby Bille » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:14 pm

Good one Dimitri !!! :thumb:

A kiter at Mohave saw a 6-ft rattlesnake swimming about 150' off-shore , a few years back ; I
only ever seen a rattler on land in that aria, (but they can and Do swim) if needed . :o

Bille

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 984
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:17 pm
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider
Location: jackson WY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Snake Attack Kiter

Postby waynepjh » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:10 pm

Omg! that is frightening! Can't believe you have a video of a kite loop with a snake hanging from your chin. Did you need Antivenom?

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1324
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:38 pm
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Snake Attack Kiter

Postby Do-it » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:19 pm

damn Dimitri. ...really like your style of riding....pretty bad ass.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2817
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:17 am
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: SNAKE ATTACK KITER

Postby L0KI » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:51 am

matth wrote:
L0KI wrote:I was retrieving my lost board once and was about shoulder deep in water, then I realized I was about ten feet from a water moccasin.
When he disappeared under the surface, I was really hoping he was not coming to bite...didn't see him again thankfully.
Where was this? OB, FLA
No Matt, I am in Austin Texas.
We've got water moccasins, rattlesnakes, coral snakes and copperhead's here, but in 20 years living here I've never had a problem.
The State of Texas is home to 15 potentially dangerous snake species or subspecies, with six different species of rattlesnakes.
I had to kill a rattlesnake in my back yard two weeks ago.
My dog was circling it and barking at it and it was dark outside, so the rattler had to die, don't want the dogs getting bitten, anti venom is really expensive.
I catch the smaller ones and take them to a spot further off into the woods about a half mile away.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1982
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: SNAKE ATTACK KITER

Postby matth » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:32 am

L0KI wrote:
matth wrote:
L0KI wrote:I was retrieving my lost board once and was about shoulder deep in water, then I realized I was about ten feet from a water moccasin.
When he disappeared under the surface, I was really hoping he was not coming to bite...didn't see him again thankfully.
Where was this? OB, FLA
No Matt, I am in Austin Texas.
We've got water moccasins, rattlesnakes, coral snakes and copperhead's here, but in 20 years living here I've never had a problem.
The State of Texas is home to 15 potentially dangerous snake species or subspecies, with six different species of rattlesnakes.
I had to kill a rattlesnake in my back yard two weeks ago.
My dog was circling it and barking at it and it was dark outside, so the rattler had to die, don't want the dogs getting bitten, anti venom is really expensive.
I catch the smaller ones and take them to a spot further off into the woods about a half mile away.
Interesting, I have a little bit of a snake phobia. I was at the orlando wake board park this spring and was hoping not to run into a snake, thankfully i didn't. I think I would rather deal with a shark :lol: :lol:

We actually have rattle snakes and copperheads in Mass, but they are not seen very often..

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2817
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:17 am
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Snake Attack Kiter

Postby L0KI » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:06 am

Yup, those snakes exist there ...but lucky for you, pretty rare to ever see one.
I've killed four rattlers in my yard and caught another three, the biggest one measured at 60 inches long and was as fat as a navel orange.
Found a baby (about a foot long) in my garage.
Had a two footer fall in to my kitchen floor when I opened my back door one morning...it was laying on the sill catching some morning sun.
We find scorpions in the house a 3-4 times a year.
Have had tarantulas crawling on the side of the house & garage, one night my son filmed one on the house for an hour or so.
I caught a neighbor's cat playing with a coral snake one day, of course that cat got taken one night...coyote food.
Coyotes pass along my back fence almost every day/night as they travel looking to catch rabbits and stuff, my dog goes nuts, he hates the coyotes.
He almost caught one on a hike one day, he chased a pack of three and almost got one of them.
They have killed all the outdoor cats in our area, they've taken a couple small dogs as well.
We have small bobcats in the woods too, but you just never see them without a tree cam to record.
We have mountain lions moving back into the area as well, there has been so much construction further out that some of the bigger cats are moving around.
It's a fun place to live for someone from the northeast.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1982
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Snake Attack Kiter

Postby matth » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:29 pm

L0KI wrote:Yup, those snakes exist there ...but lucky for you, pretty rare to ever see one.
I've killed four rattlers in my yard and caught another three, the biggest one measured at 60 inches long and was as fat as a navel orange.
Found a baby (about a foot long) in my garage.
Had a two footer fall in to my kitchen floor when I opened my back door one morning...it was laying on the sill catching some morning sun.
We find scorpions in the house a 3-4 times a year.
Have had tarantulas crawling on the side of the house & garage, one night my son filmed one on the house for an hour or so.
I caught a neighbor's cat playing with a coral snake one day, of course that cat got taken one night...coyote food.
Coyotes pass along my back fence almost every day/night as they travel looking to catch rabbits and stuff, my dog goes nuts, he hates the coyotes.
He almost caught one on a hike one day, he chased a pack of three and almost got one of them.
They have killed all the outdoor cats in our area, they've taken a couple small dogs as well.
We have small bobcats in the woods too, but you just never see them without a tree cam to record.
We have mountain lions moving back into the area as well, there has been so much construction further out that some of the bigger cats are moving around.
It's a fun place to live for someone from the northeast.
Sounds like you need a Mongoose and a Dog.

Now I feel better about freezing my nuts off 4 months of the year. :lol: :lol:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2817
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:17 am
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Snake Attack Kiter

Postby L0KI » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:54 pm

matth wrote:Sounds like you need a Mongoose and a Dog.
Now I feel better about freezing my nuts off 4 months of the year.
Yeah, that might be a good idea. :wink:
I love Austin, I would never consider moving back to Western New York.

User avatar
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3660
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Snake Attack Kiter

Postby Bille » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:58 pm

matth wrote: ...

Now I feel better about freezing my nuts off 4 months of the year. :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't wait till a snake tries to bite my carbon & SS legs !! :D

Bille


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], toyletbowl, Yahoo [Bot] and 142 guests