new type of bar suggestion?

Forum for kitesurfers
johnm
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

new type of bar suggestion?

Postby johnm » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:02 am

quite a few changes to kitebars this year particularly North and Cabrinha...

Personally - what i would like to see (and would buy) - is a bar that DESIGNS OUT line snags / leash snags on those stupidly large bullhorn linewinders on the end of most bars.

This one design fault has landed kiters of all skill levels in serious shit over the years...

Would it be relatively easy to have bar ends with smooth, tapering curves that a snagged leash / line would automatically slide off?

Then maybe have a couple of little 'pop-out' tabs that you flick out at the end of the session when you want to wind your lines up on the bar?

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Re: new type of bar suggestion?

Postby Lokihel » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:39 pm

The bar that comes with rounded edges must come with a plastic bottle for you to wind your lines around...

With the North bars it is quite difficult to properly snag a line on the bar. I think many other brands have understood the problem and avoid placing hard & pointy things at each end of the bar.

Go to a few different shops and have a careful look at their bars. I don't know what bar you use, but I don't think it is one of the better ones out there.

johnm
Frequent Poster

Postby johnm » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:04 pm

pretty much every bar has that 'design-fault'

what i'm suggesting are pop-out tabs that enable the bar ends to be smooth / curved / snag-free while you're kiting

then when you finish - you pop out the tabs on each end of the bar and wind up as normal...

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:44 pm

BRM bar. No bull horns, no snags. You just have to wind your lines a bit different but it's not hard. Personally I don't have any issue with snags on the ends of my Caution bar.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:14 pm

johnm wrote:pretty much every bar has that 'design-fault'

what i'm suggesting are pop-out tabs that enable the bar ends to be smooth / curved / snag-free while you're kiting

then when you finish - you pop out the tabs on each end of the bar and wind up as normal...

Great idea. Another idea instead of pop out tabs is to have an additional snap on plastic piece. After you unwind your lines, you grab this plastic part and hit the latch and it exactly matches where the bar winders are, with an elastic or velcro part to hold it in this place. The advantage of this type of modification is that you can add it to existing control bars, in fact you could add it to your own control bar. The problem is that it would be so easy to loose the plastic part, so the tab idea is better. But it's a way to mod a bar if the kite manufacturers don't want to fix this problem.

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil

Postby Lokihel » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:35 pm

Funny how there are some people that keep on complaining that kite bars are way too complicated, and just want a stick with a bit of string.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are those who want it with as many options as possible. If possible with add-ons that can be removed (and lost).

If you manage to get your line snagged on the end of a modern well-designed kite bar, you are going to lose all those tiny pieces of plastic that come with your special bar. And let's not get started with the sand.

johnm
Frequent Poster

Postby johnm » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:31 am

or you could just have smooth, curved bar ends all the time - and just learn to wind up your lines the 'old' way - figure of 8's around the middle.

That's the way we all used to do it and honestly doesn't take that much longer :wink:

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:37 am

With most of my bars (North, Zeeko, Naish) you have elastic bungee straps that are used to keep the lines wound when not in use. If you were to put them on whilst riding it would stop (reduce?) the chance of tangles because the gap to wind the lines up wouldn't be there any more?

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:55 am

Sk shapes make a bar that is very plain and may be less likily to snag. but still has line leaders to wind line around.

johnm
Frequent Poster

Postby johnm » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 am

nothing2seehere wrote:With most of my bars (North, Zeeko, Naish) you have elastic bungee straps that are used to keep the lines wound when not in use. If you were to put them on whilst riding it would stop (reduce?) the chance of tangles because the gap to wind the lines up wouldn't be there any more?
not sure that would help enough to be honest...

most line / leash snags - leading into deathloops are following a failed trick or big wipeout - really need something that's DESIGNED to let that line slide right off automatically...

you want smooth, curved and slippy i reckon

Return to “Kitesurfing”