Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

CRX - One Design Racing - Opinion

Postby JON MODICA » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:08 pm

Hey everyone!

I wanted to take a few minutes to write down my thoughts after the first one-design racing event we had in Miami, FL lat weekend. As you know Neilpryde just launched the CRX class and it has been at the center of some debate whether we should be moving towards a one-design class or keep it open.

Firstly, let me start with saying my opinion here is based on the one-design versus open class debate; I'm not going to get into the issues with World Sailing, IKA, IFKO...etc. I realize these issues are inherently intertwined but for now I'm keeping them separate and If you want to post about those issues, please use another thread. I'd personally just like to discuss the merits of the one-design vs. open class.

I personally love the open class of racing as I'm a gear nut and love tinkering. I also love working with awesome people to push the limits for kiteboarding. With that said, I've become frustrated, like many people, with how difficult it is to keep up with gear and sometimes I wish I could just go race and have fun.

I will ALWAYS race in the open class but I am definitely also going to attend future CRX events. It was great to focus on racing, having fun, and not freaking out about gear. To be able to just show up at an event and have everything ready to go for you is a nice perk as well. Something I wasn't expected was the atmosphere around the CRX event and how it reminded me of the fun times we had at kiteboarding events years ago when their wasn't much of a focus on gear but rather the people (characters) at events. I spend more time at those events getting to know people and having fun. It's been a long time since I felt that way about kiteboarding. I really hope the CRX continues, if for nothing else, to help perpetuate the comradery that's been lacking at events in the last 5 years.

Regarding the gear itself.... Definitely a simple package well put together. Everything is easily assembled (even comes with a fancy tool to put everything together) and fits nicely into a golf bag provided. Is it the fastest? Nope, but it's fun to ride and just about anyone can do it.

I could ramble all day so I really want to end this with just one request... don't knock it till you try it.

Have fun everyone!

-Jon Modica

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: CRX- One Design Racing- Opinion

Postby socommk23 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:38 pm

Been wishing for a class of racing like this in UK kite buggy scene. becomes about the people and skills rather than the money and gear.
Good to see this class of racing existing In a world of more money = fastest person.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:11 pm

Jon, I'm sure we'll talk more this weekend at the Florida Kite Racing League Fall Foil Regatta, but I'm curious if you think the CRX fleet is going to drive changes to the racing rules of sailing that are different from what we've seen in the open class by virtue of the differences in performance and handling attributes of an all-tube/slower class?

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:13 pm

There shouldn't be a debate. One-design and open class can co-exist.
Oh. BTW: Forget Olympics!

Ian
Medium Poster
Gear: Luxe Surf
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ian » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:58 pm

ir s pretty amazing that people feel so threatened by this new class. It seems that there is a mis-perception that NP is trying to exclude the Open class and monopolize kite racing as a whole.

1d is there to level the playing field and provide a cost effective platform to let people get on the racetrack.

Watching the fleet this weekend affirmed that there is room for 1d in kite racing. The fleet had a full gamut of experience with some riders having zero experience to pro riders. The races started with big deltas first to last and ended with a tight pack at every mark.

This proves that the CR:X class can be a fun competitive avenue to introduce racing to an otherwise intimidated public.

zig zag
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby zig zag » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:18 pm

Windfest at Nitinat Lake in BC Canada hosted a one design class (Flite kites and Mako Duke boards) with the help of Ocean Rodeo, our local kite company. It was well received with a small series of races with people of all levels racing.(some who've never ridden strapless boards) We also hosted the Twin Tip nationals.
both event were all about the fun!! racing seems to have taken off recently but everyone is on a foil now and the costs for that is ridiculous... in the open class people could pick whatever they wanted or owned and the racing was tight and super fun. the one design was fair and made a good demo day for OR and sales after the event.
We had a simple course on the lake with a beach start (one foot rule in the water on the ground) to a reaching mark on the far side of the lake then returning to the beach with a slalom section in front of the crowd. some tough conditions and tight racing lead to kite tangles, missed marks, over taking in the slalom etc... fun was the main goal and everyone really enjoyed both events! Kite boarding is a solo sport and a little race added to the competitive nature of some and for others it was just fun chasing your buddies down!

one thing we'd like to add next year is some obstacles.. like small jump marks or more windward leeward courses but some of that seemed to confuse people.. reaching was the easiest with a slalom section downwind worked great.. races were about 8-12 mins

https://vimeo.com/179136505

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: CRX - One Design Racing - Opinion

Postby Toby » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:14 pm

Jon: which type of boards did you ride? Directional or TT ?

In general, everything new is great!
For sure I vote to have both classes co existing...since there is just one more option for us.

Then Olympics or whoever can decide if they want open or a class like this.

BTW - smart move by NP...

And if gear stays cheap and accessible also for poor people to be able to race, then it is a good thing.

Let's see where it goes.

JON MODICA
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby JON MODICA » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:27 pm

Toby wrote:Jon: which type of boards did you ride? Directional or TT ?

In general, everything new is great!
For sure I vote to have both classes co existing...since there is just one more option for us.

Then Olympics or whoever can decide if they want open or a class like this.

BTW - smart move by NP...

And if gear stays cheap and accessible also for poor people to be able to race, then it is a good thing.

Let's see where it goes.
Hey Toby,

We did 6 TT races and 7 foil races. I enjoyed both! Not sure what I liked more. The TT races had more reaches and obstacles to jump so that was fun... but I love foiling!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:21 pm

One design makes sense to me. One design in the style of Optimists... Make your own boards and measure it in like they $do$

The only threat I see is selling kiteboarding out as sailing. #sellout

No way that kiteboarders want some kind of clueless sailing body. Horrifies me that countries could end up having sailing organisations telling them what they can and cannot do. I know the french don't want a bar of it... Nor do I.

By Kiteboarders for kiteboarders. Kiteboarding is not a sailing discipline regardless of $potential$

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi Jon,

Will the format be run like that in the future too in regards to equipment being provided at the regatta like the RS:X?

--
Gunnar

Return to “Kitesurfing”