Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Effect of split point on bar trim

Forum for kitesurfers
sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Effect of split point on bar trim

Postby sarc » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:38 am

All I can say is that my 2012 and 2014 rebels (5, 8, 12m) work awesome with the Y as low as possible (same hi end, more low end, bigger jumps). I put the Y at 7m from the bar (more than enough to depower my 12m Rebel when going to 5th). I posted on this a while back, you can search it

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:28 am

Pinching can have an effect, both ways kite flying better or worse, a bit different.
This is not the topic of this thread though, as I understand it ?

But not looking at the pinching but only the lines, sensitivity is not changed whatsoever.

One could also say, that the difference in "length" that is calculated is only present if you make a bar yourself and measure the lines for equal length (wrong), but this will not be an issue on existing bars :wink:

Whereas the pinching effect, what it "does" for the kite, might be solely isolated to each individual kite so no common guidelines IMO.

Personally I have never trimmed any bar/kite on "equal" line length, as I find the kites and my personal preferences are of much bigger magnitude :naughty:

8) Peter

Sandras
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sandras » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:12 am

Sandras wrote:
What I say / mean as sensitivity is that if you move the V from 2 to 3 meters trim changes very little, but if you move the V from 14 to 15 meters the trim changes significantly ( so much that you may not be able to adjust it). Check the matrix

Therefore, bars with a high Y are more "sensitive". i.e. can get de-adjusted (with line extensions, stretch etc) more easily.
Peter,
I defined sensitivity in my previous post. I have the impression that you are commenting on another sensitivity. Are we singing from the same book?

Peter_Frank wrote: Personally I have never trimmed any bar/kite on "equal" line length, as I find the kites and my personal preferences are of much bigger magnitude :naughty:
Most people if/when they trim, they do as all manufactures suggest = Equal lines length. This is where the calculation is based and it's clearly stated.
If you do an alternative adjusted tuning, of-course you accommodate the "sensitivity" effect.
This calculation more or less proves that hat you re doing is the right thing (If you've mixed bars, tuning the bars on equal weights is not necessarily what your manufacturer suggested). Substantially we agree.

davedej
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Table view Capetown
Canos de meca Spain
Style: freestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016 5/7/9/11 m
Ride clash 140 2.1
Brand Affiliation: We Test Kites

Postby davedej » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:47 pm

It all gets quite confusing. What would you advice a good friend when he wants to use his low V bar on his North kite....?
vote on it!
http://poll.fm/5q9ap
Dave
We Test Kites
http://www.wetestkites.com/2017/01/02/p ... orth-dice/

kiterocky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:02 pm

I use a 5 line bar with V line(25m line) close to the depower line.. On 14 m rebel.... I think its more fast and Direct feeling.. But maybe a bit more bar pressure..

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Naish Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2014 8m,10m Naish Torch
2014 11m SS RPM
2015 17m Blade Fat Lady v3
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2014 Naish Antic 142, 2017 Core Choice 2 142
Been thanked: 0

Postby dracop » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:23 pm

great thread.

I like setting my Naish Torch Bar so that all lines are equal when 2 inches above the QR head. This means the final 2 inches cause oversheeting, which has interesting flight charactersitics on a Naish Torch. For other kites, I tend to prefer leaving only 1/2" at full power above the QR or even setting it to fully sheeted in being all lines equal.

FOcusing on the pinching of the kite, especially when playing with direct connect C kites that are only attached to the corners of the wingtip and a fifth in the middle, the effects are very apparent. Less so on bridled kites that distribute the load across the LE.

Overall I would expect kites that have a more distributed load on the LE (from the bridles) or from a mega thick/heavy/reinforced LE to be less sensitive to the high Y vs low V split issue. I am thinking of a Slingshot Fuel vs a Naish Torch here (two extremes,e specially with the optional bridle on the Fuel; the Torch runs a high Y or low V and the Fuel runs a low V). For bridled kites, you would have to look at how the bridle spreads the load.

nick14
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly
Been thanked: 0

Postby nick14 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:04 am

I was actually fortunate enough to have a malfunction when I was testing a new North Evo and click bar. I had an 8m out in 15-20knt with a twintip 75kg. I was using the settings that were given to me off this forum which was on the lower red "Y" split as the lines were 22m. I found on this setting the kite didn't feel like it would pull me but it did. It was very light bar pressure and boosted amazingly well. Then I looped it and the plastic connection loop that you set the "Y" position with snapped so it went to the lowest "V" position. All of a sudden the bar pressure was heavier as I guess the front of the kite was further away from the bar and the kite sat further back in the window. It still flew well and for that lighter wind session I actually preferred the lower V.
I ended up buying an 11 and 8 Evo but with the 22m trust bar and 2m extensions. I am interested to see how these extensions change the characterisyics of the kites (or if 2m extensions will do anything at all). I was on pivots before these.

merl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: RL kitefoil
Newind split wave

CA Pulsion 12m
FS Peak 4 5m
Gong strutted 9m
Slingshot SST 7m
Gong strutwave 5m
OR Razor 4m

Postby merl » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:28 pm

Just did some similar calculations to this to work out why I was not getting enough trim range on a North Dice with a low V bar. You set b at 1.5. I was guessing at 2.5. I think I need to measure that!

EDIT: Your delta calculation is wrong. The shortening delta is not relative to La + Lb, but SQRT((La+Lb)^2 - b^2). I.e. Just use the same formula with La = 0.

In any case we can summarise this as: if you move the V closer to to the bar from the manufacturers spec, you need to lengthen the rear pigtails (or shorten the front pigtails) to compensate and get back the original trim range of the kite. I think many people forget to take this into account when comparing the behaviour of kites across different bars.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:10 pm

That seems backwards to me. As you move the V down towards the bar the front lines get effectively shorter, right?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; SPI; La Ventana
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/105cm masts 590/683s wings, Tim's 36" "woody", Slingshot Micro 3'6", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 5m 2018 $500, Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $600, Slingshot SST 10m 2017 $500, Core XR4 10m $840, Core XR4 13.5m $970, Core XR4 17m $1060, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, Slingshot Turbine 15m 2018 like new $1100, BROkite carbon board 140x44 like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530, Slingshot Guardian 20" brand new $290

Postby grigorib » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:30 pm

I think the line length affected by geometry change is neglectible and could be trimmed.

The only major plus I'm aware of for high-Y setup is ability to get wider view from the line-mounted camera and it will catch way less by rear lines when looping or back/front rolling.

The negatives are more serious:
- proprietary line lengths (center and brake lines are not same length) if you have to replace your lines (but even Slingshot is guilty of same with low-Y bars)
- a major safety loss of not being able to flag your kite on any front line, but only on one. Self landing I need to be able to yank on top center line (having kite on one or another side of the wind window) but high-Y allows you to do it only on one side and you just cannon grab the other center line.

Return to “Kitesurfing”