Naish Torch 2017 Problems (No Power)

Forum for kitesurfers
SKYWALKER3D
Rare Poster
Gear: NAISH
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Naish Torch 2017 Problems (No Power)

Postby SKYWALKER3D » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:30 pm

Good luck getting any anyway. I just tried to get a 14m Yellow to cover me under 18knots and they are not making any more until they release 2018 models. Sounds like they only did one production run and that's it if they run out of stock to bad. Im now waiting until August to complete my quiver :(

Octo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dornoch
Favorite Beaches: Dornoch & Cruden bay
Style: My style
Gear: Naish torch

Postby Octo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:55 pm

I guess a team rider will tell you what their boss tells them too so..

This years kite is a game changer with better high end and better low end so you only need one kite and it will last forever but you should buy a quiver! :)

Great pump this year though

ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy

Postby ragzilla » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:18 am

agree with LorenzoS

i always go a size up on my FUELS.....
although its not a Torch, but its still direct connect C-kite, so i guess it counts.
anything above 11m sucks to ride in my opinion.
my 13&15m suck unless they are at the very top of it's wind range..... so bad infact that i swapped them out this week for a 14mRPM just so i can have a tiny bit more low end.

but deff..... when everybody else is on 11m bow kites.... im on a 13m C-kite..

sorta makes you wonder what would turn and loop quicker? 11m bow or 13m C ??

LorenzoS
Rare Poster
Style: Big Air/Wakestyle
Gear: 12-10-8 Naish Torch 2016

Postby LorenzoS » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:24 pm

The Torch hasn't really changed much since 2015; in fact only for 2017 they've made minor changes. This year besides for the new canopy material they've slightly reduced the length of the central struts and slightly lengthened the smallest side struts to be better suited for the new low V bar setup.

I do really think it's the best Torch ever to date and I've been riding Torches since the beginning but just don't expect it to be a puller like a Switchblade or something. It loves to be ridden overpower yet remaining very manageable which is a very hard to find characteristic even w/ modern C shapes.

Yesterday again people at my local spot people were riding 7s including some C shapes and I pumped my 10 knowing I'll be fully powered to send it big and one guy told me he was reluctant to launch my kite thinking I'll be dangerously overpowered :( I told him I'm used to ride like that and he said ok :) I'm not bragging here but just trying to emphasis my point. Obviously I wasn't unhooking but I had crazy fun sending it w/ the nice facing kickers.

we
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Huguenot, Atlantic Beach Jax
Favorite Beaches: Vieux Fort, St. Lucia

Postby we » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Yeah, but the OP doesn't make sense. 12m in 20+knots should be fine. 12m in 15 knots would probably be not too fun but 20knots? All the C kites perform well in the middle of the range and not so good at the bottom.

LorenzoS
Rare Poster
Style: Big Air/Wakestyle
Gear: 12-10-8 Naish Torch 2016

Postby LorenzoS » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:47 pm

That's what I'm saying. You can get away w/ a 12m if you're a lighter rider or fortunate to live in a windy area; otherwise the 14m is a must.

SKYWALKER3D
Rare Poster
Gear: NAISH

Postby SKYWALKER3D » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:11 am

LorenzoS wrote:That's what I'm saying. You can get away w/ a 12m if you're a lighter rider or fortunate to live in a windy area; otherwise the 14m is a must.
LOL yeah if you can get one :-?

Octo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dornoch
Favorite Beaches: Dornoch & Cruden bay
Style: My style
Gear: Naish torch

Postby Octo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:01 am

To make The Torch lacking in power is a backward step in my opinion and a 12mtr of any kite brand is a ball in 20 knots so what is the point in this and how is this better??

You can't sugar coat it! this is inferior to the past two years, the product may look very pretty but come on how is less grunt better & why prat about with the ESP thing it is supposed to be aggressive and if the kite is a bit to much for the average kiter pick another kite i reckon.

Any way fingers crossed for next year and try taking some ideas from other brands or industries in general, like up to date manuals and instead of racing to make a new kite every year just make one good kite. "Could learn a lot from Ozone"

ShredThaGnar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 2nd Ave N.
Wiggins Pass
Tigertail Beach
Big Hickory Island
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Skyway
Curry Hammock
Veterans Beach
Coco Plum
Jetty Island
Style: The Freshest
Gear: 2015 14m FX
2016 11m Chaos
2013 9m RPM

2016 Naish DUB 138X43

Postby ShredThaGnar » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:55 pm

So I had the opportunity to ride the 2017 14m Torch over the last couple days. The wind was 15-23 so I was able to test its upper and low ends. It took me awhile to get use to the kite but once I did I realized the kite is a different machine. I feel this kite was never designed to be a light wind kite. It really excels in unhooking. I was able to stick back mobes, b2b and other tricks first try. Normally it takes a few attempts for me. I rode ESP and regular settings. ESP makes the kite feel like a hybrid c which will definitely help out with someone just getting on a c kite for the first time. I prefer the regular setting.the kite has a huge high end range. I noticed when the wind picked up and everyone was on 10s and 11s I didn't have to go back in. I just pulled the depower a few inches in and I was riding perfectly. I weigh 160lbs and ride the 2016 dub with boots which is pretty rockered.

Even in the higher winds unhooking was super smooth and not over powered. Jumps were big and lofty and the kite turns faster than any 14m I've ever flown. I'd highly recommend this kite for a wakestyle/freestyle rider as it can definitely eliminate the need for a 12m.

ShredThaGnar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 2nd Ave N.
Wiggins Pass
Tigertail Beach
Big Hickory Island
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Skyway
Curry Hammock
Veterans Beach
Coco Plum
Jetty Island
Style: The Freshest
Gear: 2015 14m FX
2016 11m Chaos
2013 9m RPM

2016 Naish DUB 138X43

Postby ShredThaGnar » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Here's some pics from yesterday's session on the 14m torch
Attachments
IMG_6100.PNG
IMG_6097.JPG
IMG_6095.JPG
IMG_6092.PNG

Return to “Kitesurfing”