Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Different bars with different kites ... what impact does a low or high V have ?

Forum for kitesurfers
lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Different bars with different kites ... what impact does a low or high V have ?

Postby lindseym » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:40 am

Greetings all,
I recall hearing that the positioning of the V (or Y) impacts the way a kite will fly. If this is the true, what impact would a high V set bar have on a kite that is designed to work with a bar that has a low V ? Thanks

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Different bars with different kites ... what impact does a low or high V have ?

Postby socommk23 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:24 am

I can't think of anything other than the length of lines and possible aerodynamic change's but they will be virtually imeasurable

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Different bars with different kites ... what impact does a low or high V have ?

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:31 am

The V split changes the pivot point of the turning radius for the kite. Conceptually, think of pulling the steering line with the bridle attached to a point by the steering line vs a point half way up to the kite.
Also, depending on the bridle setup, a very high Y (say the North bars) can change the shape of the kite slightly (make it pinched slightly).

Short answer. You may find you need line extensions (on the rear lines) to balance the kite properly depending on how high the split is in order to stop the kite oversheeting. Fly it on the beach, check for stall and make extensions if you need to apply more than a cm or 2 of trim.

kitesurfvoilier
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Leucate - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force - North
Brand Affiliation: Owner of KSV little brand
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:35 am

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:16 pm

Although that is more the difference of a low v bar with a high Y kite. I think the original question is the reverse. Bear in mind that Ocean rodeo kites previously used a high V bar and only changed to a low V bar a year or two ago. I believe they list the older bar compatible with the new kites using the line extensions provided with the kite.

kitesurfvoilier
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Leucate - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force - North
Brand Affiliation: Owner of KSV little brand
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:21 pm

My mistake, sorry. Not uninteresting anyway :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:36 pm

socommk23 wrote:I can't think of anything other than the length of lines and possible aerodynamic change's but they will be virtually imeasurable
Agree 100% :thumb:

8) Peter

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:44 pm

I recently went to a high V on a kite I'd been flying for years with a regular bar. There was no obvious difference. If you blindfolded me I couldn't tell you what bar I was using.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Two big differnces!

-You cannot self land your 4 line kite easily with a high V kite because you can't reach the upper front line to pull.
-You cannot relauch your 4 line kite in light wind with a high V kite because you can't reach the ooposite front line to pull.

I use both these techniques all the time and so I do not buy a 4 line kites with a high V (like North).

CG

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:22 pm

cglazier wrote:Two big differnces!

-You cannot self land your 4 line kite easily with a high V kite because you can't reach the upper front line to pull.
-You cannot relauch your 4 line kite in light wind with a high V kite because you can't reach the ooposite front line to pull.

I use both these techniques all the time and so I do not buy a 4 line kites with a high V (like North).

CG

Return to “Kitesurfing”