Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot Rally vs. Turbine

Forum for kitesurfers
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Slingshot Rally vs. Turbine

Postby grigorib » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:55 am

I have always considered the Turbine to be a larger, LW extension of Rally line with few differences:
- less Dacron on Turbine wingtips
- 5 points LE bridle on Turbine vs. 3 on Rally
- [edit] supposedly higher AR

Now I saw some material suggesting the smaller sizes of Turbine are about to become available https://www.surffx.com.au/product/2017- ... t-turbine/ and I'm wondering if anyone had a chance to demo these two side by side and point out any further differences in construction or why to pick one or another.

Anyone?
Last edited by grigorib on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Slingshot Rally vs. Turbine

Postby dylan* » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:24 pm

My initial thought was that for foiling, your lightwind kite doesn't need to be big, it just needs to be lightweight and efficient. My lightwind kite for 8-10 kts would be a 12m-14m if it flew well enough in that wind.

But they make them in sizes all the way down to 5m, so I have no idea.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:20 pm

I guess Slingshot saw this thread, because I just got an email:
NEW FOR 2017
SLINGSHOT EXPANDS TURBINE
TO FULL SIZE RANGE

The Turbine has proven to be one of the best light-wind kites ever made. Slingshot is excited to unleash this high-aspect, high-efficiency machine in a full range of sizes for 2017. All the same qualities that make the Turbine such a great light wind kite translate to an aggressive, high-power, high-flying, high-performance weapon as you go down in size and up in wind speed.

* 15, 17, 19 meter- The proven light wind kite of choice for riders of all abilities. The Turbine’s high-aspect, high-efficiency profile gets you out and riding when others watch from the shore hoping for the wind to pick up.

* 11, 13 meter- Perfect for intermediate to advanced riders who want a massive dose of spice on those moderate-wind days, or as a full light-wind kite for smaller riders. This range yields long, lofty airs, aggressive upwind angles and more power than any kite of the same size.

* 5, 7, 9 meter- Massive air, lofty hangtime and aggressive, high-power freeride performance. Described as “a Rally on steroids”, this size range is perfect for experienced riders who are ready to take their riding to the next level, and for foilers looking for competition-level performance out of a LEI kite.
Last edited by dylan* on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:15 pm

WTF?

Suppose it makes sense to have lighter 3 strut kites for those who are never going to go out in waves.

But no 10m so you can't go 7m, 10m, 13m?

Oh dear.

Jonpnw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pacific Northwest
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Quikfin
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jonpnw » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:51 pm

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:35 pm

No need rally no more? If turbine better...why people spend money on rally...

Onthewater860
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy point, napatree, harbor of refuge RI
Style: Free ride
Gear: Slingshot rally 9,12 turbo 17
Placebo 140x43
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Onthewater860 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:26 am

Anyone know what the difference between the 2015 and 2017 kites? Weight? Ar?

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:57 am

kiterocky wrote:No need rally no more? If turbine better...why people spend money on rally...
Just going by looking at the pictures/video, it looks like they're trying to position the turbine as a more performance-oriented kite, which usually means they take a little more skill to fly and require a little more attention to get the most out of them. The rally will still be a good option for an all-around kite.

It seems like slingshot's lineup is starting to get a little cluttered, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw one disappear in the future. We have:

Fuel: High performance freestyle/looping
RPM: Freestyle/freeride
Rally: Freeride
Turbine: Freeride/racing/light wind
Wave SST: Waveriding
Z: Beginner/freeride/price-point

It does make you wonder what the rally's place will be with the overlap between models

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:17 am

dylan, I was wondering the same thing. If you offer someone either a "Rally" or "a kite just like the Rally but better" they're going to choose the latter. :)

I was not sure if the Turbine has longer bridles that would make it more likely to wrap in a wave wreck ? or if it is built of more lightweight materials making it less durable when it gets tumbled. If so, then I could see them keeping the Turbine for performance, racing and foiling.

From the foiling aspect though, I can't see how it'd be better than the SST. That thing just stays in the air with the lightest breeze and very little bar input. Drifts so nice when you ride at it. Maybe the Turbine does as well, but with the addition of mad jumping. :jump:

disclaimer, I have only flown the Turbine once so I'm pretty must speaking out my ass.

Return to “Kitesurfing”