Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Aerodynamically better leading edge

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:14 am

Is it worth it for all the extra weight?

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:28 am

Good question Kami ; wouldn't know, unless it was tried ?

I know for absolute sure ; it would create a Lot more lift, (with camber changing)
at a substantial amount LESS drag at speed, (so maybe it would be worth it / maybe Not) .
You would be targeting higher winds ; like 20 to 40-knots.

Bille

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:40 pm

What if you sew in 2ft. long sections of "solid" floatie pool noodle into the front or back of the inside of the LE so it bumps out and creates similar effect as battens on a foil - keeping the shape more aerodynamic, elliptic in this case.

No need to cover ears tips, just sections between middle and first struts.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:06 pm

grigorib wrote:What if you sew in 2ft. long sections of "solid" floatie pool noodle into the front or back of the inside of the LE so it bumps out and creates similar effect as battens on a foil.
In one of the issues of Kiteworld, Naish said that they had been talking about using different materials for the canopy. That had tried using a strong crispy material rather like the stuff they use for windsurf sails, they reported that it worked great, but it was really hard to pack the kite up. You couldn't fold it. This meant it was a no go and they abandoned it.

Kites are really expensive and there is no way I am using mine to 100% of its potential. What's the point of having all these extra tubes and super aerodynamic LE? It isn't going to make me a better kiter and I won't be able to take advantage of it. The price will go up. I'm not sure if it is worth the effort for me. I'll be happy on a 2012 kite for years, upgrading my kit won't upgrade my ability.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:24 pm

I think if you had some smoke in the flow under the LE side of a typical inflatable kite to show the streamlines, you would see that the slight bump from the LE closure seam acts as a trip point causing the lower side flow to separate early and not follow the curvature of the LE tube onto its aft side.

And I'd also suggest that the form drag of a kite LE with its closure seam / trip point is actually quite close to the streamlined shape of the Faction & Gaastra kites and the reason that these aerodynamic-shaped LE kites don't have vastly improved performance.

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Hansen Design » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:15 pm

From 2007 Hansen MS Monostrut Hybrid thread...
Aerodynamic Trip.jpg
Aerodynamic Trip.jpg (49.64 KiB) Viewed 1350 times

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:47 am

Once again and as always, thank you Mr. Hansen.

sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby sabraxas » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:48 am

Puetz wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:Yes, North did in in 2002 or 3 as far as I I remember, an oval two chambered front tube :D
But left it again.

I can not see many advantages, as if you decrease the diameter ever so slight, the double tube added stiffness with two tubes will quickly be "lost".

Meaning, stiffness is proportional to diameter cubed, so if you have the double stifness from two tubes, you can only decrease the diameter about 20% instead of 50%, so the gain is small compared to all the other disadvantages :roll:
But hats off that they tried it :hut:

8) Peter
... nah it was Gaastra that made the double chamber LE, not North,,,, Gaastra Phoenix.
Yeah, you are right. I couldnt remember and you name it.
Gaastra Phoenix in 18 meters had two tubes in the leading edge.
I didnt find advantages in that model side by side with other models with single tube in leading edge.

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Don Monnot » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:06 pm

15 - 20 years ago windsurfing race sails had lots of cambers and a HUGE luff pocket to reduce the turbulence on the inside trailing side of the mast. This made for a very fast sail, very stable at high speed, but super heavy and nearly impossible to raise out of the water to do a waterstart with the huge luff pocket full of water. They quickly went to a much smaller mast diameter and much smaller luff pocket, along with fewer camber inducers to achieve the same effect. The race sails now seem t be just as fast (or faster) and stable without all the extra weight and hassle during a waterstart.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Maybe a lei/ram hybrid is the answer. Inflatable twinskin ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”