Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Safety System. F-One Bandit X 2017 ?

Forum for kitesurfers
sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Safety System. F-One Bandit X 2017 ?

Postby sabraxas » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:09 pm

knotwindy wrote:that is a long post to say the QR does not work well. Get a different one that works better, like all the time. Only If your life is worth it, of course. Maybe you like the extra risk for no gain...

He is beginning and bought a 2017 kite with obsolete security system.

In his place i would have a lot of questions too, to avoid buying another kite that is unsecure when ejected.

Sellers sells kites no matter what. Without "long posts" there is no information available and things like this happens.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:34 pm

I know nothing about F-One kites, but on reading this thread I am genuinely appalled that the safety system is so dangerous! Image

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:23 pm

windmaker wrote: This comment seriously questions your knowledge of this kite...
Fair enough.

Why don't you enlighten the audience - B6 to B10 - what were the actual advancements and improvements besides flashy colors for Instagram team babes? And how hard was it for F-One to actually update the safety system and inflate valve to something more - you know - up to speed with the competition and the year we live in?

More concrete example: Trax HRD boards - same exact shape, construction and materials from 2014 to the current generation, the only thing that has been changing - are colors. Yes - I'm aware that they've updated the pads, straps and the handle. And I'm also aware that the carbon version of the TRAX 2015 was - in fact - lighter than 2014. Anything else worthy of big marketing claims?

B.t.w. nobody's saying that Bandits are bad kites, but it's this whole attitude of F-One towards their end customers - sorry, but I'm not paying anymore for this ENDLESS horse $H1T!!!

justkite100 wrote: I keep hearing that it isnt a good idea to use a single line safety bar system with the Bandit due to the length of the bridles and risk of them getting tangled and then kite looping.... ??
You should be perfectly fine, Bandit's bridle isn't that long actually. Airush kites tend to have a reeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy long bridle, one that actually requires rolling it (to avoid tangles) when packing the kite, but the safety works absolutely fine.
Last edited by alexeyga on Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:49 pm

I have 2015 and 2016 Bandits.
(sizes: 7,9,11,12)

When I first got them I tried the safety system in waist deep water and low wind. (aprox.12 knots)
The kite did not turn into safety position reliable.
However when the wind was 15 knots or more it did much better.
Over 20 knots always when needed.

With the "low wind" situation, try to move towards the kite quickly for a few yards, the kite turns into safety position (LE down and tips pointing away from you)

Hope it helps
cheers

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:24 pm

I would buy a new control bar, keep the kite. Pretty much any other control bar that is not too old that is in the last two years will work, ozone, liquid force, north, wainman, switch, slingshot, core, cabrinha, best, blade, airush.

Only RRD and f-one still use the mini-5th but they will probably convert to single line flagging next year.

image from user "wetdog"

justkite100
Rare Poster
Gear: ELEVEIGHT WS

Postby justkite100 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks for all the details everyone!..
I'm the local shop I bought them from are going to have a look at the setup for me
Having done lots of research over the last couple of days, Its safe to say I now feel up to speed on the various systems available on the market and think that the single line safety system is the way forward for my situation as a new kiter... I might be wrong but the single line system looks good as:
1. When the chicken loop is released there is no power
2. They use the standard packdown and self rescue technique as instructed on lessons
3. You can easily drift launch the kites as they sit with the canopy spilling the wind over the top
4. You can use the safety to end your session and recover the kite on your own

justkite100
Rare Poster
Gear: ELEVEIGHT WS

Postby justkite100 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks for all the details everyone!..
The local shop I bought them from are going to have a look at the setup for me
Having done lots of research over the last couple of days, Its safe to say I now feel up to speed on the various systems available on the market and think that the single line safety system is the way forward for my situation as a new kiter... I might be wrong but the single line system looks good as:
2. They use the standard packdown and self rescue technique as instructed on lessons
3. You can easily drift launch the kites as they sit with the canopy spilling the wind over the top

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:12 pm

justkite100 wrote:... the single line safety system is the way forward
Yes, it is.
Yes, don't be fobbed off, OK? :-)

Matt Air
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lakes in Dallas, TX
USA
Favorite Beaches: Have kited in Southern Brazil, Greece, Texas coasts, and Hawaii
Style: Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab Fx 9,12, Kitech foil kites 9m, 12m, Alpine foil, Xenon La Luz TT, cloud kite 5.5, 9m Ozone Edge

Postby Matt Air » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:16 am

Just adding my two cents

I had bandit 5s. Looks like they have made some changes since then but overall design similar. Very nice all-round kites. I have since gone to more specific kites for my needs/desires, but these kites will carry you far into your progression. I also see you had another post with comments. I had the f-one bar initially. I had previous had the cabrinha IDS so was familiar with kites that flag to 2 front lines. I did find the issue of the kite not flipping over at times after pulling safety. I found this occurred more so in lighter winds, which would make wrapping the lines more difficult as the kite sometimes would power up. I did find tugging on front lines would help nudge the kite to flip over. Jerome went into better detail in his post.

I ended up switching to a Liquid Force bar and lines with single line depower for flying my f-ones. My reason actually was more the amount of throw. I prefer bars with a longer throw, so I can sheet out more during gusts. I didn't like having to adjust the depower strap constantly. Perhaps if I kited in an area with less gusty winds than I wouldn't have this issue. Experience and skill also a factor, as I am better at spilling extra power than I used to be, as will you. I also prefer the one line safety if given a choice. This also makes it easier to use other kites, as most anything will work with one line safety. I did test on land several times, and do not recall any looping kite after I pulled the safety while in the water. There can be other safety failures that can cause a looping kite. Always best to test before riding though. Just keep in mind that F-one kites have 4 knots, not the kook-proof method (or at least did, haven't seen recent kites/bar). So for lines with knots on the center lines, you will need a loop to loop connector (which does alter line lengths slightly). There are other work arounds. Liquid Force Bar and Lines have both loop and knot at the end pigtails, so they will not need a connector. Also, the lines and loops on the F-one bar are made from thinner braid, so I made the knots bigger on the inside bridle so there would be any slippage (yes it happened). In the end, bar/lines come down to personal preference and experience. Hope this helps and good luck!

- Matt

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:42 am

alexeyga wrote:
windmaker wrote: This comment seriously questions your knowledge of this kite...
Fair enough.

Why don't you enlighten the audience - B6 to B10 - what were the actual advancements and improvements besides flashy colors for Instagram team babes? And how hard was it for F-One to actually update the safety system and inflate valve to something more - you know - up to speed with the competition and the year we live in?

More concrete example: Trax HRD boards - same exact shape, construction and materials from 2014 to the current generation, the only thing that has been changing - are colors. Yes - I'm aware that they've updated the pads, straps and the handle. And I'm also aware that the carbon version of the TRAX 2015 was - in fact - lighter than 2014. Anything else worthy of big marketing claims?

B.t.w. nobody's saying that Bandits are bad kites, but it's this whole attitude of F-One towards their end customers - sorry, but I'm not paying anymore for this ENDLESS horse $H1T!!!

justkite100 wrote: I keep hearing that it isnt a good idea to use a single line safety bar system with the Bandit due to the length of the bridles and risk of them getting tangled and then kite looping.... ??
You should be perfectly fine, Bandit's bridle isn't that long actually. Airush kites tend to have a reeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy long bridle, one that actually requires rolling it (to avoid tangles) when packing the kite, but the safety works absolutely fine.
Most of your arguments are correct. Don't know much about their TT as I only ride surf and foil but from my point of view there only so many changes you can make on a square board year after year. Have any other manufacturers made any real improvements on their TT other than changes for the sake of it?

About Bandit kite, I must admit often sailing underpowered (surf/foil) hardly ever crash my kite and can't remember the last time I used the quick release. BTW changing the Bandit from 2 line to one line flagging is really easy, their new Furtive and Diablo kite flag on one line so clearly their choice to have a 2 line flagging on Bandit.
F-One a bit like Slingshot (that I know well) is a brand that evolves step by step their products rather that brands like example Naish that "revolutionizes" releasing new models constantly. Improvements on the Bandit over the past few years have been subtle (just like SS RPM) and mostly focused on it's flight characteristics which are undeniable and materials used for it's construction. True F-one lacks a fast inflation valve (I hear they will have it next year) but that is a very superficial improvement and never changed the performance of any kite.

Anyway I truly believe that their are very few bad kites on the market now days and that each one of us sees what they like and don't like in each brand/model. Kitesurfing is a sport where 90% of the performance comes from the rider and therefore is very personal on what is good or works best for each on of us!

Return to “Kitesurfing”