Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

Postby iriejohn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:39 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: It is simply a VERY very bad habit that many has gotten - rigging down/upwind :(
Habits can be difficult to change, no matter how bad they are - so many die from smoking, eventhough they know it is the worst thing they can do, they dont change :cry:

8) Peter
I know what we need, it's an EU regulation from Brussels to tell us that we must side-rig our kites! Yep, that'll fix it! :lol:

Sorry Peter, you rig for the conditions on the beach you're on - there is not any one right way. :roll:

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8919
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:17 pm

iriejohn wrote: I know what we need! It's an EU regulation from Brussels to tell us that we must side-rig our kites. Yep, that'll fix it! :lol:

Sorry Peter, you rig for the conditions on the beach you're on - there is not any one right way. :roll:
So you say you also shit on all others and still rig down/upwind when crowded and space ?

Which is what this (Plummets) thread is about.

You rig for the conditions yes, we all know and do that - but this thread was with the given that you got sufficient space for rigging sideways, but still opt to rig in your own "ego" way, thus being a pain in the ass for everybody coming in or starting or starting to rig :x

Can you give me an example where rigging sideways would not be the best option, when sufficient space and other kites around ?

This thread seems to be more and more important, since it goes wrong so often and so many do it their own way, and dont care (or dont know ?) that they get in the way for all the other kitesurfers :roll:

It seems like many are trying to defend their bad habits by saying "you rig for the conditions", when it might really mean they wont change a thing and still be a nuisance for everybody else very often :(

You should rig for the conditions so often alternative angles are used, yes we all agree, but if space allows, only sideways will not disturb other kitesurfers :thumb:

8) Peter

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Noviomagus Reginorum
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

Postby iriejohn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:30 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
iriejohn wrote: I know what we need! It's an EU regulation from Brussels to tell us that we must side-rig our kites. Yep, that'll fix it! :lol:

Sorry Peter, you rig for the conditions on the beach you're on - there is not any one right way. :roll:
So you say you also shit on all others and still rig down/upwind when crowded and space ?

Which is what this (Plummets) thread is about.

You rig for the conditions yes, we all know and do that - but this thread was with the given that you got sufficient space for rigging sideways, but still opt to rig in your own "ego" way, thus being a pain in the ass for everybody coming in or starting or starting to rig :x

Can you give me an example where rigging sideways would not be the best option, when sufficient space and other kites around ?

This thread seems to be more and more important, since it goes wrong so often and so many do it their own way, and dont care (or dont know ?) that they get in the way for all the other kitesurfers :roll:

It seems like many are trying to defend their bad habits by saying "you rig for the conditions", when it might really mean they wont change a thing and still be a nuisance for everybody else very often :(

You should rig for the conditions so often alternative angles are used, yes we all agree, but if space allows, only sideways will not disturb other kitesurfers :thumb:

8) Peter
What is it about ...
you rig for the conditions on the beach you're on - there is not any one right way.
... that you do not understand?

User avatar
alkiter
Frequent Poster
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:49 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Gear: Whatever works
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South Florida
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

Postby alkiter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:56 pm

It's 2017. Can't believe people still walk their lines! Haven't done that in over 3 years.
https://youtu.be/9_FxYkg1vZc

User avatar
Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:07 pm
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

Postby Beardytello » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:22 pm

ozonelevel wrote:It's 2017. Can't believe people still walk their lines! Haven't done that in over 3 years.
https://youtu.be/9_FxYkg1vZc
Ok, so I'm still wet behind the ears but that looks well complicated!

In the time that guys messed about one handedly tying lines while not letting the other ones go I could have unwrapped my standardly wrapped lines walked them and been happy they are cool. Maybe I'm missing something though.

User avatar
mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 pm
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Location: Japan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

Postby mr_daruman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:38 pm

After landing to take a brake you don't slide your bar back upwind lol.
You wind-up your lines a little to keep things clean around your area and later launch again from the side. right?
Also guys rigging upwind how do you self launch? Seems pretty dangerous.
Do whatever feels rights but I think side rigging is a lot safer than anything else, and as mentioned makes it easier when in crowded areas.

I think its that FLIP THE BAR thing people have a hard time getting their head over :rollgrin: Dont really need to flip it. You can just FLIP THE COLORS in your head :roll:

User avatar
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2889
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Gen4 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Galaxy board
Engine Harness and sliding
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

Postby Laughingman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:05 pm

ozonelevel wrote:It's 2017. Can't believe people still walk their lines! Haven't done that in over 3 years.
https://youtu.be/9_FxYkg1vZc
I know eh? I haven't walked my lines except in rare cases for years as well... coming up on 5 years me thinks.
You only take up the size of your kite at the launch, and I usually don't even unwind my lines until my assistant is holding the kite, whom I conveniently carried my kite over and handed it to.
Walk up to guys standing on the launch chatting... say hey, hold this for a minute please, walk to launch position while unwinding lines... thumbs up.
It is the fastest, most courtesy way to launch.... but apparently it is very complicated... because everyone is so adverse to it. I have even offered to walk people through it and still they go back to taking up space, getting people to run all over the place to flip their kite, laying lines over lines, getting caught on other kites wing tips and struts etc...
Oh well, at least my wife and I know the way.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:49 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

Postby knotwindy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Yea, I mean who would want to walk their lines out to check for nicks or knots anyway? I mean, why be safe if you can save 25 seconds?

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 984
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:17 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider
Location: jackson WY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

Postby waynepjh » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:42 pm

knotwindy wrote:Yea, I mean who would want to walk their lines out to check for nicks or knots anyway? I mean, why be safe if you can save 25 seconds?

Im checking my lines as i wind them up at end of session. 25 seconds to walk lines is fast! That would be cool to see.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:47 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

Postby topmick » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:24 pm

https://youtu.be/9_FxYkg1vZc

Great idea, I'm going to try this today


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bladesurfer, Google [Bot] and 11 guests

cron