Medium Poster
Local Beach: dillon
Style: kite surf
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Action cam tips

Postby yojimbo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 pm

how are you getting such a clear shots in your video? my video quality once i upload to youtube/vimeo is total shit once it goes through compression.

can you post your video settings. thx.

i love the line mount, but i'm mainly interested in improving my down-the-line surfing on a wave.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:04 pm

You're correct, the native version of the movie is always much better than the uploaded/compressed copy.
It can be pretty bad when uploaded to Youtube/Vimeo. Youtube has gained a little in higher frame rates and HD quality. If I'm not mistaken, when you have a subscription to Vimeo it uses less compression and gains quality.

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:12 pm

yojimbo wrote:how are you getting such a clear shots in your video? my video quality once i upload to youtube/vimeo is total shit once it goes through compression.

i love the line mount, but i'm mainly interested in improving my down-the-line surfing on a wave.
Obviously it is important to keep the Original format all the way through the editing and dumping of final edit.

When I have good internet connection, I use the following compression settings to upload:

Description: H.264 video at 8 Mbps with AAC 44.1kHz audio
File Extension: mov
Estimated size: 3.6 GB/hour of source
Audio Encoder
AAC, Stereo (L R), 44,100 kHz
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width and Height: Up to 1280 x 720
Pixel aspect ratio: Default
Crop: None
Padding: Preserve source aspect ratio
(L: 0, T: 0, R: 0, B: 0)
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls: Automatically selected: Off
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 50
Min. Spatial quality: 50
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 50
Average data rate: 8 (Mbps)

ced1
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach

Postby ced1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:57 am

This is my latest video with just a line mount and a mouth Mount. Had to go slow motion to be able to use most of the line mount stuff as otherwise it gets too bumpy.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:54 pm

nice edit, you don't like to up the vibrancy/saturation and blue a bit more when editing the video?
I guess you don't need much of it but on overcast days in new york if I don't play around with colors video looks really flat and sad. Sometimes the clouds are pretty dramatic on gopro footage and you don't need to do much except up contrast a bit.
I usually overdo it and end up with orange hands on footage lol. I crashed my pc and now using an older one so can't really preview rendering much of the correction before rendering the whole thing.

Lately a lot of my footage are a lot blurrier than usual, i don't know whether camera is old (late 2014) or if it's because the water case is scratch a bit.

that's a facebook video, click to play.
https://www.facebook.com/jerome.loman/v ... 250025898/
https://www.facebook.com/jerome.loman/v ... 7250025898

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:14 pm

yojimbo wrote:how are you getting such a clear shots in your video? my video quality once i upload to youtube/vimeo is total shit once it goes through compression.

there are a few "native" formats for youtube and vimeo where their video effects processors won't touch it.

use their specified formats from this link:

youtube:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171

vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/help/compression

If you use the ones they specify your video (at least this is what they claim and it seems to be true) it will not be touched by the compressor and it will look the same as it does on your home computer.

Note that they added 4k to both youtube and vimeo in the last couple of years, so use that if you have it.

I notice that ced1 is using one of the youtube recommended settings.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Ced1 awesome video :thumb:

jeromeL yours too, great video :thumb: But no, I think the colours and blue are exaggerated (just like if you have ever watched CSI Miami, simply too much and not "natural" nomore...)

I know this is impossible to agree on though, as a photographer and many friends, some says "it is just like THEIR minds see the colours" - and I am more boring saying, "It does not look right and natural" :-?

8) Peter

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:27 am

Peter_Frank wrote:Ced1 awesome video :thumb:

jeromeL yours too, great video :thumb: But no, I think the colours and blue are exaggerated (just like if you have ever watched CSI Miami, simply too much and not "natural" nomore...)

I know this is impossible to agree on though, as a photographer and many friends, some says "it is just like THEIR minds see the colours" - and I am more boring saying, "It does not look right and natural" :-?

8) Peter
I agree I did too much, my good computer is dead and as soon as I make an adjustment the preview is awful and I can't tell until I render the whole thing so too much work to get it right... I'll try to do better next time.
Sometimes the water and cloud is pretty flat with a bit of adjustment you can get a bit more details else it looks pretty boring. Like some of the snow kite video where you basically see all while 80% of the screen...

With right light and sun direction you don't need to adjust much.

ced1
Frequent Poster

Postby ced1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:31 am

jeromeL wrote:nice edit, you don't like to up the vibrancy/saturation and blue a bit more when editing the video?
Actually I do sometimes tweak it, as you mentioned, especially on overcast days. But I do try and keep it natural, unless I'm going for a specific effect on the edit.

jeromeL wrote:
Lately a lot of my footage are a lot blurrier than usual, i don't know whether camera is old (late 2014) or if it's because the water case is scratch a bit.
I do find that when the case lens is scratched it gets blurry, I think the water tends to stick to the lens more. You can quite easily buy replacement lens and I've gotten into the habit of putting a protection cap on it when not in use.

edt wrote: Note that they added 4k to both youtube and vimeo in the last couple of years, so use that if you have it.

I notice that ced1 is using one of the youtube recommended settings.
I must say I haven't ventured into editing in 4K, I think maybe when I upgrade to next generation computer. I find it cumbersome to edit.

Peter_Frank wrote:Ced1 awesome video :thumb:
Thanks

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:54 am

Agree jeromeL, generally it is very often necessary to correct the colours a bit sometimes even a lot, as the white balance goes off easy, especially if overcast or darker.

On the other hand, these cams are often set to, or got a, "Vivid" colour by nature, so often it is more than adequate when sunny.

As said, also personal preference - but no cam has a "default" colour that works in all conditions, they can NOT get the whitebalance right in all cases.
So you are not aiming for tweaking something to something "more than reality" - often it is the loss in the cam in some conditions, you simply correct so it looks like what your eye can see :D

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”