Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pinky toe broken - 5 weeks now and still hearts like hell. Anything to help it?

Forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Pinky toe broken - 5 weeks now and still hearts like hell. Anything to help it?

Postby omg » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:57 pm

So I kicked accidentally my snowboard's binding once it was inside the house on the floor with my pinky toe (the smallest one). It's still really hurting. I was resting it abt completely last week, doing work at home, but need to get back to office and walking starting tomorrow. This is taking ages to heal. It feels like the damage is around the outmost joint in the toe or just behind it, at least when touching it, that's the place where it hurts. In the x-ray (taken 4 weeks after the incident) they were a bit unsure of the damage but looks like it's broken. Should I be worried abt any joint damage which would need something else than resting?

Anything to help this heal, please? Should I ice it as the toe is still swollen? What about infrared lamp to improve the circulation? Anything other? This is killing me!

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Pinky toe broken - 5 weeks now and still hearts like hell. Anything to help it?

Postby dylan* » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:12 pm

I broke one of my toes surfing almost 3 years ago now and it still hurts once in a while, luckily it seems to have healed straight.

Broke another toe on the other foot foiling last summer (missed the footstrap during a gybe) and it only hurts when I manage to kick it against something now. It healed crooked, couldn't tape it against another toe because it's the little one.

I'm not aware of anything you can really do other than tape it to another toe if it's close enough. Maybe make a little splint to keep it straight. But yeah it hurts forever and takes ages for the swelling to go down. The one from 3 years ago still looks a bit fatter than the one on the other foot though.

Good luck

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pinky toe broken - 5 weeks now and still hearts like hell. Anything to help it?

Postby soul19 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:46 pm

As long as you have sensation and the colouring is okay, than no need to worry. Also keep an eye on it for excessive swelling and that the toe doesn't feel hot to the touch. Toes and fingers take longer to heal as we use them excessively. Small splints can minimize movement but won't speed up healing time. If you want it to heal faster than your going to have to utilize crutches and keep all weight off the affected area....not overly practical but is an option.

Jimmy

On a positive note, bump it and watch the new vocabulary that you develop when the pain takes over. Makes great amusement for those around you!

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:00 pm

self medication :thumb:

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:37 am

Done that several times. There's nothing to be done about it. If it ain't crooked it will eventually heal. Vicodin and Bushmills is the only solution. You can't even tape it effectively.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jeromeL » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:31 pm

While restin my snowboard against the wall 2 years ago, I was looking away and it fell guillotine style on my barefeet. It hits my toes really hard.

It was a bloody mess and nail was pretty much broken. I figured I would go see a podiatrist to remove nail but it turned out to be broken as well. It was the toe ring finger...
Basically I wrapped broken toe to the one adjacent not too tight. I tried not to step with that foot too much and used a special boot that takes the weight away from your toes. It helped that I was in the process of switching job so I could stay home for a few weeks. I also iced it first few days.

I think I went back kitesurfing after 3 weeks keeping toe wrapped.

Return to “Kitesurfing”