Ozone Zephyr
Cabrinha Spectrum
Cabrinha Tronic
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Modern Type KiteSurfboards

Postby Ozzie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:20 am

I have been using twin-tip for 4 years and quite enjoying it. However, I have seen some people on these kind of boards(attch. pics), and they look so fun. Also, they are light wind day saviors. I have never tried any and dont really have much chance to try.

I would really appreciate to see some comments and recommendations. I consider buying one of these types. What are the main differences, advantages and disadvantages of these boards over conventional pointy tip surfboards?

PS: I live in Thailand and usually go to Hua Hin for kiteboarding.
Attachments
IMG_8831.JPG
IMG_8831.JPG (58.53 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
IMG_8830.JPG
IMG_8829.JPG
IMG_8829.JPG (61.23 KiB) Viewed 2635 times

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Modern Type KiteSurfboards

Postby dylan* » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Tried one that looks similar to the top two. It was great for messing around in light wind. Goes upwind really well. Horrendous for kitesurfing, not enough rocker and too big of a tail. The screamer might be better but it's way too narrow for the conditions here.

Why are you specifically looking for a board with no nose? There are a lot of great kite surfboards out there and you're really limiting yourself just because it looks "cool" (it doesn't).

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:01 pm

dylan* wrote:Tried one that looks similar to the top two. It was great for messing around in light wind. Goes upwind really well. Horrendous for kitesurfing, not enough rocker and too big of a tail. The screamer might be better but it's way too narrow for the conditions here.

Why are you specifically looking for a board with no nose? There are a lot of great kite surfboards out there and you're really limiting yourself just because it looks "cool" (it doesn't).
Why are getting those shapes more and more popular then?

"Similar to the top two".....Yeah. Don't judge so quickly before you've tried a bunch of different boards. You cannot just ride one board "with no nose" and project its characteristics to all boards of that type. Each Board is different and you have to compare them side by side and also with different fin setups if possible. Second, the nose only is probably by far the least important characteristic of a board. Third, Looks are a matter of taste and habituation; For me, those traditionally shape boards do not look cool anymore but kind of old school. I like the modern shapes much more now.

In general (but you still have to test each board individually!), those boards can be ridden much shorter than traditional shapes, allowing the rider to better dominate the board and turn it with minimal input. Furthermore, they are excellent for travelling.

PS on the vanguard now and not going back to one of those traditional shapes any soon.

wardr77
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK Camber , Whitstable. Southcoast in general
Style: Freeride
Gear: Nobile / Slingshot

Postby wardr77 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:04 pm

I ride the screamer 5'2 (last picture). Great board. Ride it strapped mostly as I like to mix things up a bit, surfing, boosting, rolling etc and its great for this.
This is certainly my primary board of choice now, can't remember the last time I used the TT...
Of course if you get any type of surfboard you'll need to learn to gybe the thing if you don't know how to already which can be a bit of a learning curve, but well worth it in the end.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:09 pm

Dylan is fully of crap, modern planning hull surfboards are super rad, and rock for kiting.

I've ridden every Tomo Firewire Kite model (Nano, Vanguard, Vader, Evo) and love them all for kiting and regular surfing (own 3). The North and Slingshot ones are ok but aren't quite the magic of Tomo's actual shapes. Sure they aren't the best for when stuff gets to be bigger than head high but the majority of Kiters aren't messing with waves that size.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Ive never tried one. When I do, I'll go for the true Tomo inspired shapes. A lot in his ideas make sense for kiting. They look like the future, but I would steer clear of bandwagon boards that just take the nose off a traditional shape. Those Slingy's would be near the bottom of my list.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:00 pm

Owned 2 no nose boards (Firewire & HB anti) and frankly there is nothing that can be done with those boards that can't also be done with a classic nose shape.
Just as Cor said, the nose of the board is the least important characteristic of a surfboard and other parameters which are less visible are much more important.
I ride mainly strapless freestyle/wave and for me no nose is more of a fashion trend (due to the popularity of the Tomo shape) or a transport convenience.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:44 pm

I will add that regardless of fashion or designer name, a wider, shorter nose, square,round, or somewhat pointy, reduces swing weight and also makes the board easier to "fly" in airs, compared to an otherwise similar board.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:06 pm

A couple of areas of confusion here. Just because a board does not have a nose does not make it a parallel rail board or modern planing hulls (MPH). Tomo MPH boards are a very radical change, and the squared off nose is more a by-product of other design features than a feature on its own. Here is a good explanation.

There are other kiteboards that have simply squared off the nose of a traditional shape. A pointy nose in kiting is a little less "important" feature since you do not need to paddle in, you are dropping in under power, and you do not have to duck dive either.

handy
Medium Poster
Gear: wave
Brand Affiliation: ahcustoms.ch

Postby handy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:55 pm

dylan* wrote:Tried one that looks similar to the top two.
Great joke, so you tried a quad board with a pretty straight outline in tail an compare it with a thruster board with a much rounder tail outline ?!?!
oohh now I see , they are equal , they have both chopped off noses ;-)
Sorry but can't hear that crap any more
Last edited by handy on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”