Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Strapless board for a big guy

Postby BrianMaiden » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Can anyone recommend a good board for a big guy. I'm 6'5" and 215 pounds (195 cm and 98kg)?

Just spent a lot of money on a reputable brand that i though would be good. The board behaves so well and flexes perfectly wave-riding but, Whilst i haven't snapped it, after only one session there are huge pressure dents in the board (without doing any jumps or tricks) and i have a feeling it wont be long before i snap yet another board.

I'm looking for something OVER 6 foot in length but something that flexes and behaves like a surfboard not a corky, stiff board. Happy to pay $$$ for the right one if it'll last. I mainly use the board for waves but am learning strapless tricks . I prefer the surfboard shape to the shorter style with a flat nose.

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Has thanked: 0

Re: Strapless board for a big guy

Postby baxterbradford » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Unless you go custom, I don't think anything like that exists. I looked for something similar as my first surfboard & ended up with Slingshot Celeritas 5'11". It is corky and didn't behave well in Calshot chop for waterstarting etc. I've had an Axis New Wave 5'8" for over a year and love it. Have put some bigger fins in. Sits lower in the water, has a wood core and flexes wonderfully over/through chop. I'm 6' but much heavier than you, over 120kg. I've only had one session at Gwithian in strong onshore conditions, but was v happy in the waves, as it is on the wind waves in the Solent. I spent ages looking for one 2nd hand, but they don't seem to come up. I took this as vote of approval. Tom Beaton imports Axis into UK, you might be able to get a demo since he also imports Ozone.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:01 pm

You might want to talk with Doyle in the Gorge, makes a board that is a great balance between ride and durability. Not sure if he does total custom though.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:12 pm

I think you need a board with a strong wood sandwich deck. Probably a custom board.
The wood sandwich won't make it corky, but it will make it stiff. Boards are corky when they have a lot of volume in the rails, it doesn't matter if you gave volume on the deck, it's not displacing water.
A thicker board generally has thicker rails, but not necessarily. A thicker board will be stiffer, but not more resistant to heel dents.

I've not seen the axis new wave, but the idea of having very thin board with rail volume, using high density foam and reinforced deck can give magic of flex ( thin board) and strong deck. I build my boards this way and they have flex because they are 10-20mm thick and have wood sandwich deck.

zig zag
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby zig zag » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Gotta give the Mako Duke a try man!! its a great board for any conditions

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:36 pm

BrianMaiden wrote:I'm looking for something OVER 6 foot in length but something that flexes and behaves like a surfboard not a corky, stiff board. Happy to pay $$$ for the right one if it'll last. I mainly use the board for waves but am learning strapless tricks . I prefer the surfboard shape to the shorter style with a flat nose.
:
Take a look at the Litewave DV8-G2 6'1. It has exactly everything you requested above.
https://www.litewavedesigns.com/product ... board.html
Dave (guy in video) is about the same size as you.

The next best option would be the Axis New Wave 5'8. If the tip was pointed it would measure at about 5'11-6'. It rides very similar to the DV8.
http://axiskiteboarding.com/product/axi ... L3W9xiZOi5

NathanG
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, Sydney
Australia
Gear: LF Kites

Postby NathanG » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:57 am

I am the same dimensions as you and have had great durability from my Sunova surfboard. Mine was made in Australia, but they now make them in Thailand.

Bert Burger is the man to talk to...

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone

Postby BrianMaiden » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:34 pm

thanks for all the replies. it's interesting that the Axis and Lightwave boards are mentioned. I actually have the Underground Kipuna 5'8" ( http://www.undergroundkiteboards.com/product/kipuna/) Its identical to the Axis and Lightwave boards and i love it for small waves and chop but want something longer for bigger waves

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:40 pm

have a look or if possible an test with an Airush Cypher in the carbon version, great board !!

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:02 pm

PM sent.

Return to “Kitesurfing”