Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a ram air lover

Forum for kitesurfers
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a ram air lover

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:18 am

For 8-12 knots at your weight I'd also consider the 12m though I haven't tried the 10m to know how close it feels in power.

For context, at about 175lbs (80kg) I find with the P Foil that I start to feel overpowered on the 12 Ultra at about 15/16knots - though I think this is partly the slow speed of the foil.
I find my 9m Ultra feels comfortable from 10/11knots. Below that I can ride but my skills in gybing mean it gets a bit sketchy as there is very little lift for the foot switch

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:20 am

Has anyone with experience of first generation Ultra, tried the V2? If so, is there a significant improvement in terms of weight, handling etc...?

kaioe
Rare Poster
Local Beach: capetown
Style: wave
Gear: 7m

Postby kaioe » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:13 pm

Hey guys with 80kg and 6,2 33l board what wind range can I expect from the ultra10m ?

caduo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby caduo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:08 am

probably 10-11 to 20,you may go to 25,but this kite does not like to be overpowered ),at least from what i saw from the first version 8,9,12 that i was using last year.
These users thanked the author caduo for the post:
kaioe (Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

HendrikVdP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cadzand-bad Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: kitebeach el gouna Egypt
Style: freestyle
Gear: north vegas '10 7m
north vegas '08 9&12m²
undergound flx 132

Postby HendrikVdP » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:41 am

yes i got good experience on both V1 and V2.

We teach on them in the school since we have mostly light wind, last year we had 7-15m , this year 7-17m.
For me the main difference is how much better the V2 handles stronger wind in its high end. the low end is nearly the same.

The V1 suffered from the traditional one strut problem where they become hard to control when they are too depowered ( we are in a tropical location where squalls come through every so often)

The V2 does this a lot better and has a lot more depower + control in the high end, you can dump the power more on the V2, and maintain control easier.
Even though i own a North Mono 15sqm myself, and am very happy with it, the Ultra V2 is hands down the best one strut kite i have used.

For teaching as well, it is such a easy kite for any beginner to learn to fly, and handles very well on the edge of the wind window, even in light conditions.
would not want to go back to 3 or 5 strut kites for teaching in light weather ever again !
These users thanked the author HendrikVdP for the post:
kaioe (Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:04 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:32 am

How does boosting on the Ultra compare to the Mono? I currently own a 12m Mono and love boosting on a foil but I'm underwhelmed with the boosting ability of it. Would the Ultra provide better height and hangtime in 12m winds?

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Anyone with experience with the new Ultra 10m to understand better what to expect from the new shape behavior compared to the 9m proven design.

roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.

Postby roninXpl » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Osprey1 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:32 am
How does boosting on the Ultra compare to the Mono? I currently own a 12m Mono and love boosting on a foil but I'm underwhelmed with the boosting ability of it. Would the Ultra provide better height and hangtime in 12m winds?
I did a TT session on 12m v2 and can confirm what I read - the jumps are long but not overly high (I normally ride XRs with TT).

kiste
Rare Poster
Style: Freestyle, Wakestyle
Gear: Naish Boxer 12m, SS SST 9m, 7m, Duotone Whip CSC, Core SLC Foil, Wingdings...

Postby kiste » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:36 pm

From what I have read so far, the low end from 12m and 14m should be almost the same when on foil, because of the weight / projected area. My next kite is a 10m Nexus, so I think the 14m could suit me better, just to have also some fun on the 5.2 CSC in maybe 12 knots. D1 could also be an option, but out of stock as it seems. I have a Space Skate (with 82kg) and want to be on the foil (and be able to water relaunch) at around 7 knots... but I am still struggling with the idea of getting a foil kite ;)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:31 pm

kiste wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:36 pm
From what I have read so far, the low end from 12m and 14m should be almost the same when on foil, because of the weight / projected area. My next kite is a 10m Nexus, so I think the 14m could suit me better, just to have also some fun on the 5.2 CSC in maybe 12 knots. D1 could also be an option, but out of stock as it seems. I have a Space Skate (with 82kg) and want to be on the foil (and be able to water relaunch) at around 7 knots... but I am still struggling with the idea of getting a foil kite ;)

Just one note: Forget about water relaunch in 7 knots with the 14 m2 :roll:

When there is 7 knots of wind, there is even less down at the water, so you should not rely on being able to waterstart.

Just so you dont get tricked into believing this is possible - ride like it is a oneshot, IF the kite goes down, you have to drift to shore to launch the kite :naughty:

Of course you might be lucky to get it up in a gust if everything goes your way, but dont count on it...

I've seen so many kites, even lighter than the Ultra, and a relaunch is not to be expected unfortunately in this wind - with a foil kite indeed it can usually be done, but that is another ballpark.

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”