Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a ram air lover

Forum for kitesurfers
pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a foilkite fan

Postby pikovsg » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:38 am

Tested the new 15m Ultra on the beach in 7-10 mile day. Promising - other than smaller BRM Clouds, it's the only time I've seen an LEI kite flutter for a few seconds, similar to a foil kite when there's a big lull. Lots of power in the kite, may even be a bit grunty. Remains to be seen, just a beach test. It's definitely the fastest turning 15m I've seen. Comparing to BRM Cloud 17m, OR Flite 17m, Flysurfer Lotus, NOrth Mono 15m, Concept Air Pulsion 12m, Contra 15m and Epic Infinity 16m. This may be the kite I was looking for. Looks like enough power in 7, maybe 6 miles for a hydrofoil. Will be testing more this weekend. Psyched about the possibilities!

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Any more reports on this kite ?

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:14 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:38 am
it's the only time I've seen an LEI kite flutter for a few seconds, similar to a foil kite when there's a big lull
All the single strut LEI kites do this, it's what makes them drift so well in on shore wind. A 3-5 strut kite maintains rigidity and nose dives in the same conditions. Down side is there is flutter while looping unless you manage the trailing edge tension exactly.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:44 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:38 am
Tested the new 15m Ultra on the beach in 7-10 mile day. Promising - other than smaller BRM Clouds, it's the only time I've seen an LEI kite flutter for a few seconds, similar to a foil kite when there's a big lull. Lots of power in the kite, may even be a bit grunty. Remains to be seen, just a beach test. It's definitely the fastest turning 15m I've seen. Comparing to BRM Cloud 17m, OR Flite 17m, Flysurfer Lotus, NOrth Mono 15m, Concept Air Pulsion 12m, Contra 15m and Epic Infinity 16m. This may be the kite I was looking for. Looks like enough power in 7, maybe 6 miles for a hydrofoil. Will be testing more this weekend. Psyched about the possibilities!
You're writing 7-10 mile day. Did you mean 7-10 knots day?
Did you have the opportunity to test the 15 Ultra in the water?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 pm

"7-10 mile day" could be slang (incorrect expression but used a lot so many might understand anyways, just not here) for 7-10 mph wind.
Or it could be slang for "Sea Mile Per Hour" which is the same as knots :D

Totally stupid to use the unit mph, as nobody understands what it means, and it is NEVER used for measuring wind speed.

Knots or meter per second is the only worldwide understandable units, and the both unofficial and official units for wind speed :thumb:

Problem is, that some got wind meters where they can choose those useless units like km/h or mph that makes NO SENSE for anyone :(

10 mph = 16.1 km/h = 8.7 knots = 4.5 m/s
or
10 knots = 5.1 m/s = 11.5 mph = 18.5 km/h

8) Peter

Rakky
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rakky » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:23 pm

So ... what about the Airush Ultra 15m water test.
Anybody with reviews?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:05 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 pm
Totally stupid to use the unit mph, as nobody understands what it means, and it is NEVER used for measuring wind speed.
Alas for unknown reasons 350,000,000 people West of the Atlantic refuse to join the rest of the world in adopting SI. Our aviation and nautical weather websites report in knots, but our more common websites and even the NOAA report mph to the public. The chance we move away from SI before the year 2020 is zero, no matter how much I'd like to see that happen. We are too busy getting triggered by the BS on Twitter.

I demoed the Ultra in 9m with a surf board and Force 3-4 winds. It files in light wind, has good grunt and behaves itself with slack lines. It turns fast and is fun to fly. I liked it a lot. Did not intend to test the relaunch but it was good and automatic in waves and light wind. Low end in waves is close to my 10m Lotus Speed 4, the largest kite I fly. But very different feeling from the Lotus as the power generation is similar to a lower aspect LEI it its sheet and go feel, faster turning and lower lift e.g. for jumping. Its light for an LEI but heavy for a foil kite. I suspect even a regular cloth foil kite will stay in the air a little better without sinking as the wind approaches zero or turning in to the kite, and the foil kite makes better speed to windward. Free riders and wave riders who want a light wind tube kite will love the Ultra.

Jake

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:20 am

Amazing, and sad :(

Knots is not an SI unit though, it is the imperial unit used for windspeed and speed in sailing and aviation all over the world.

Here in northern Europe we have adapted to this foreign unit instead of always using SI (m/s) as the imperial knots is so common and people all over the world talk the same language which is great :thumb:

Where it goes really wrong (and the only situation luckily) is when storms or hurricanes are present, then the girly news reporters always use km/h (or in US I would expect mph) as it is a unit everyone knows from driving a car, so understandable this is what most can relate to.
Problem is it is utterly nonsese to understand and converting to something we as surfers/sailors can understand ha haa - but in a news flash it sounds good, also because the "number" in itself is higher which sounds more "uuuuh, scary" :rollgrin:

Again, every wind meter without exception I have seen, have had 4 units you can choose between: knots or m/s or mph or km/h.

Which in itself is fine, but leads many to bad habits too I could imagine, instead of talking about something we all can share locally and internationally like on this forum.

It is good the conversion between Imperial and SI (knots and m/s) is so close to a factor 2 that we can convert without thinking, and even have a "feel" for the other unit so to speak.
Whereas km/h or mph are utterly useless as they are 54 % and 87 % compared to knots, so both off and you can never remember which way, is mph a bit less or a bit more than knots ?

Sorry, this should have had its own thread, I know...

But when saying a 7-10 mile day it is really confusing, as it could be seamiles per hour (or nautical miles per hour same thing) which is knots, and it could be miles per hour which is less than 87 % of knots.

8) Peter

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:08 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:20 am

But when saying a 7-10 mile day it is really confusing, as it could be seamiles per hour (or nautical miles per hour same thing) which is knots, and it could be miles per hour which is less than 87 % of knots.
Except that no one in the history of ever has said "sea miles per hour." :lol:

It'd be nice if this backwards country could just move forward into the 18th century and adopt all SI units, but then again, a loofahfacedshitgibbon managed to get himself installed in the top office. :angryfire:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:12 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:20 am

8) Peter
[pedant]

A mile is 1,760 yards
A nautical mile is 2,000 yards

Thus one mile per hour is 1760/2000 = 0.88 nautical miles per hour (knots)

[/pedant]

Return to “Kitesurfing”