Local Beach: Furwait QATAR
Favorite Beaches: To Many to List
Style: Go Out And Ride
Gear: Shinn, Cabrinha, Airush
Brand Affiliation: Shinn, Cabrinha, Airush
Has thanked: 0

Re: Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a ram air lover

Postby bluepearlqatar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Airush Ultra 2s have arrived in Qatar and doing up a Video review covering the 9/ 12 and 14 Metre, this will come in the coming days, so far ridden the 9 and 12 with both twin tip and foil board and very happy.

Below are some quick action shots of the 9 Metre.

https://vimeo.com/279233339

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 pm

We've had the V2's in the UK for a 10 days.
Plenty of sessions on the 10, 9, 7m..
First delivery sold out, waiting for the second.

10 is an interesting kite. This and the sizes above have new shaping. As I understand the 9 and below are virtually identical.
Look lovely in the air. Visually a big improvement..

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby alfredo68 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 am

MikeBirt wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 pm
We've had the V2's in the UK for a 10 days.
Plenty of sessions on the 10, 9, 7m..
First delivery sold out, waiting for the second.

10 is an interesting kite. This and the sizes above have new shaping. As I understand the 9 and below are virtually identical.
Look lovely in the air. Visually a big improvement..
Ultra I ve heard is very powerfull. Should the 10 be powerfull enough to replace a 12 meter inefficient wave kite ( all of them )??

bluepearlqatar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Furwait QATAR
Favorite Beaches: To Many to List
Style: Go Out And Ride
Gear: Shinn, Cabrinha, Airush
Brand Affiliation: Shinn, Cabrinha, Airush

Postby bluepearlqatar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 pm

8 Knots with a 12 Metre Airush Ultra 2 and Shinn Jackson 130 with Mega K. First Impressions.

https://youtu.be/Fqd997OVxps

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:47 pm

9m Naish boxer '17/'18 for 620€ new or Ultra V2 in 9m for 830€ also new. What is the better deal?

Based on enthusiasm on this forum I would say Ultra is the better kite in this one strut segment. But is it 33% better?

I would use it for 55% foil, 25% surf (more often onshore than sideshore) and 20% TT.

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Weight: 188
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT

Postby DSZ » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:45 pm

Can any of the Airush users out there compare a 2012 Lithium 14 LW kite to a current Ultra V2 12 or 14m? I am wondering if I can get the same low end out of the new Ultra 12 or should I get the 14? I assume the ULTRAs have better high end. I always the thought the 14 LW turned well for a kite that size, how would it compare to an ULTRA?

Thank you!

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:18 pm

DSZ wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:45 pm
Can any of the Airush users out there compare a 2012 Lithium 14 LW kite to a current Ultra V2 12 or 14m? I am wondering if I can get the same low end out of the new Ultra 12 or should I get the 14? I assume the ULTRAs have better high end. I always the thought the 14 LW turned well for a kite that size, how would it compare to an ULTRA?

Thank you!
It's a bit of a loaded question.
Lightwind ability comes in different forms, much like power from engines comes in different forms... (torque and hp)

Lithium will go earlier if you are heavy and have an inefficient board
Ultra will go earlier if you are lighter and have a very efficient board (the ultimate of which is a foil - but in which case 12 Ultra is most people's upper limit for a foil)

so it depends how it is used.
One thing for certain, Ultra is faster and more fun to fly....

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT

Postby DSZ » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanks Mike. I have 145 lightwind Crazyfly TT but mostly ride surfboards in the 5'8 size fairly wide with smaller kites 185 lbs. The 14 can be a bit much in the surf sometimes. The idea here is to replace the older 14 with something newer for those marginal days when I just want to get out and ride around, even with the TT. I like the general idea of the Ultra but a bit concerned about the stability of a single strut kite in gustier conditions.

Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip

Postby Seabizzle » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:55 pm

DSZ wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:52 pm
Thanks Mike. I have 145 lightwind Crazyfly TT but mostly ride surfboards in the 5'8 size fairly wide with smaller kites 185 lbs. The 14 can be a bit much in the surf sometimes. The idea here is to replace the older 14 with something newer for those marginal days when I just want to get out and ride around, even with the TT. I like the general idea of the Ultra but a bit concerned about the stability of a single strut kite in gustier conditions.
I have used my 9m ultra in gusty conditions quite a bit over our winter here in Perth. Overall it is solid in gusts, the kite points really forward in the window so gusts tend to pull you forward and add speed as opposed to kites that sit further back and want to pull you off your line. I haven't noticed any deformity of the leading edge even when more powered up and jumping on a twin tip. It's not a kite designed for the best top end but I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised by it's handling at the top end and in gusty conditions.

On another subject i recently went on a trip to a long reef/ point wave. We scored 2 days of solid overhead cross offshore really long down the line waves. I rode the 9m ultra both days and was really impressed with the performance. The drift in these conditions was amazing, I was really able to set the kite and just about forget about it. I could also whip it around and get it really cranking down the line to get around sections. Another big advantage was that I was smoking everyone on the upwind and hence maximising wave count.

I don't mean to be boastful but these days were some of the best sessions of my life and I am very excited about it.

I want to write a proper review of the ultra as a wave kite as I feel I have given it a good run in the surf. It definitely has some advantages and disadvantages over the 3 strut wave kites. I will try post something soon

DSZ
Frequent Poster

Postby DSZ » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:00 pm

Seabizzle wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:55 pm
DSZ wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:52 pm
I have used my 9m ultra in gusty conditions quite a bit over our winter here in Perth. Overall it is solid in gusts, the kite points really forward in the window so gusts tend to pull you forward and add speed as opposed to kites that sit further back and want to pull you off your line. I haven't noticed any deformity of the leading edge even when more powered up and jumping on a twin tip. It's not a kite designed for the best top end but I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised by it's handling at the top end and in gusty conditions.

On another subject i recently went on a trip to a long reef/ point wave. We scored 2 days of solid overhead cross offshore really long down the line waves. I rode the 9m ultra both days and was really impressed with the performance. The drift in these conditions was amazing, I was really able to set the kite and just about forget about it. I could also whip it around and get it really cranking down the line to get around sections. Another big advantage was that I was smoking everyone on the upwind and hence maximising wave count.

I don't mean to be boastful but these days were some of the best sessions of my life and I am very excited about it.

I want to write a proper review of the ultra as a wave kite as I feel I have given it a good run in the surf. It definitely has some advantages and disadvantages over the 3 strut wave kites. I will try post something soon
Would love to hear your opinion of 1 vs 3 strut kites, sounds like you have some good experience.

Return to “Kitesurfing”