Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a ram air lover

Forum for kitesurfers
Youtch
Frequent Poster

Re: Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a ram air lover

Postby Youtch » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56 pm

What would be the lower range of ultra 10m on a foil?

10knots feasible or it requires more?

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:46 am

i ride a 9m down to 9knots (10mph) regularly. It won't get you going under that though. Basically if it's 10mph+ I am kiting

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:44 am

Youtch wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56 pm
What would be the lower range of ultra 10m on a foil?

10knots feasible or it requires more?

Yes, 10 knots is almost sweetspot for the 10 m2, for me @78 kg it is :thumb:

You can go a tad lower but not much, power in the wind decreases rapidly but 8-9 knots just possible indeed, long lines of course.

8) Peter

KVL
Medium Poster

Postby KVL » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:39 am

I foil with the Moses Fluente and 590 wing together with Ultra 12 m2 in 9 knots and CF Flite 115 cm board
With the 633 wing can maybe use 10 m2 instead if I had one. The 633 requires a bit less speed to get up.
In 9 knots the Ultra 12 has to be started directly with the middle lines, as it otherwise will be too little to start it. As soon its up I am set to go.
I just had 2 weeks in Kenya with it, poor wind, but what a great kite. It really flies well, i was impressed. It is rare I use it, prefer the 7 or 9 m2 Pivot.
I am 90 kg.

roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.

Postby roninXpl » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:52 am

You will struggle to water relaunch at 7kts.

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:21 am

7-8 knts for me is no go zone as wind can fall below minimum treshold and in my spot it means trouble.

9-10 knts is what i am aiming for, when sea breeze blows but not powerfull enough to go TT.

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Re: Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a foilkite fan

Postby flaps1111 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:16 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:14 am
alexrider wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:35 pm
Snip....
Paradoxically, for hydrofoiling, I'd rather get an Ultra instead of a foilkite for the lightest conditions, because it gives you the kiteloop kick in the butt you need to get in the air.
Snip....

Actually not true, the LEI kites turns way better than the "slow dog" foil kites yes, but the race foil kites still gives you more kick when looped thus you can start earlier on these, no doubt :thumb:

Having said that, I prefer a light LEI any time, over the peak power racefoil kites (got both), because they are so much more fun in every way - and IF it goes down, no problem as you can just take it easy and either wait for a puff to relaunch, or drift comfortably ashore for a relaunch.
So much more fun, and no worries.

I was fortunate to try a 6 m2 Ultra in January (hydrofoiling), a really pleasant kite, turned well, drifted well, good power on demand and can spill power too, no flapping - a really nice encounter and definitely a choice many has been waiting for - a way more refined kite than the (older) Airush One that also was loved a lot amongst the early hydrofoilers :D

8) Peter
Hi Peter. I'm considering to buy a 6 mts to add to my quiver of ultras 12 and 9. For you what is the wind range for the ultra 6 mts. ? I think that having a 9m and getting a 7m is too close.
I weight 82 kg and my foil is a Moses FR.

mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate

Postby mikesids » Sat May 18, 2019 8:32 am

@flaps1111 - Not answering for Peter but I can say I LOVE my 6m Ultra - have never had a bad session on it. I am running 12/10/8/6/4 Ultras currently, there is quite a bit of overlap to be honest. I am 80kg. For me on a Groove Skate and 800 or 1000cm2 wing the comfortable wind range for the 6m is from 17/18kts up to 26 or so. It is just one of those sizes that is really forgiving, has great drift, very loopable but also good waterstart power . WAY more forgiving than my v3 Reo 7m used to be for foiling . I also just rocked out a Vmax of 27 knots with the 6m Ultra last week ( on Spitfire XLW) so it can certainly perform .

So in summary I think a 12/9/6 Ultra quiver should have you going from 8kts through to mid 20's kts easily.

Just my two cents, hope it helps.
These users thanked the author mikesids for the post:
flaps1111 (Sat May 18, 2019 8:41 am)
Rating: 3.03%

roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.

Postby roninXpl » Sat May 18, 2019 8:44 am

I rock 12/9/7 Ultras but I was considering 6 instead of 7. For me, if the wind is too strong for 7m it's not really a pleasure to foil on my spots.
These users thanked the author roninXpl for the post:
flaps1111 (Sat May 18, 2019 9:14 am)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 18, 2019 10:56 am

Hi flaps1111

I am not the right one to answer this one.

I rode the Ultra 6 m2 two and a half years ago, when it came out.

Regarding size span, yes it is possible with 9 and 6, definitely.

Not on a surfboard where it is too much, no doubt.
But on a hydrofoil you can stretch the range somewhat more.

Would never ever do this myself, but it is because I like to be in the sweetspot - HATE being too powered.
Also, for you, because you can get a small kite later, as a 6 or 7 m2 is quite big for a hydrofoil.

I dont understand fully, dont you have other small and medium kites TT or Waveboard) you can use, or are you changing your quiver and sold your existing kites?

Below 10 m2 I use my wavekites, 3½ - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 m2, and then ligher kites in my 10 m2 and up, for hydrofoiling.

Now you know why I am not the right one to answer your queation ha haa :rollgrin:

But my experience with other riders here are, that 9 to 6 they all regret if they have tried it, and have to sell as you can not put another kite in between now :roll:
Some here will say it works just fine, but so many different opinions - I can only rely to what many of those I know have tried, and how well I know their riding style also.
If they wanna go minimal for the sake of that, or if they wanna have a pleasnt quiver where they at a reasonably low number of kites always can choose one they will like for a given day.

12 and 9 is a great span, I also find just fine, but not 9 and 6 if you ask me. 9 and 7 will be great.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
flaps1111 (Sat May 18, 2019 12:14 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”