Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are we all jacking up our necks???

Forum for kitesurfers
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Are we all jacking up our necks???

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:27 pm

If your neck hurts because of crashes, learning to foil will NOT solve that problem. You almost have to learn how to "safe fall" when you learn to foil because the crashes can be so violent.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:06 pm

Starsky wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:26 pm

I would say that at least half the general kiteboarding population are less than fit, and do the sport in a way that imparts a lot of strain. (twin tip, overpowered, looking for little more than big airs)

Most of em up off the couch from winter and into 10 days straight, 5 hours a day followed by total dehydration by way of beer.

I drink Beer ; when the day is, "Done", and it's time to reminisce, with my friends, about
all the good and bad stuff that happened for the day.

He said : "LESS THAN FIT " ? Well even with the fit ones , i hardly Ever see any kite-boarder
do a stretching exercise to loosen-up and warm-up their body first ; sure wish I could get
away with that !!

Once again --Starsky-- ; you summed it all up, quite nicely Man !! :thumb:

Bille

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:18 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:27 pm
If your neck hurts because of crashes, learning to foil will NOT solve that problem. You almost have to learn how to "safe fall" when you learn to foil because the crashes can be so violent.
Depends on what kind of foil you ride. With my MHL 150 I can go so slow that crashing is no issue.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Well if I can figure out foiling and not pound myself, I'll be foiling till I can't. I'm 57 and gave 5 more years as a mid range plan, hoping for 10 more years longer range. We'll see after that.
Snowboarding and skateboarding in the bowls us tougher. Still do those things too.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:51 pm

I know someone who loves foiling because his knees took too much of a pounding on his TT doing tricks, but I don't know anyone who has "jacked" his neck. As Toby asks, what exactly do you mean by that?

Hatteras in two weeks, tons of high jumps, lots of waves to ride, learning to foil, and a little beer at the end, maybe. No injuries so far in a decade, including learning on C-kites, and I'm 61.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Never heard a Dutch kitesurfers complain about neck injuries. Perhaps because the Dutchies (in general) do not wear helmets when kitesurfing?
(Except for hydrofoil)

dt73775
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
Gear: Bandit 4, Ozone V9
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby dt73775 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:38 pm

I forgot to mention all the neck injuries from looking at the babes in bikinis...but I think that goes in to the MOST SEXY KITE PICTURE topic...Hey, i haven't seen that in a while...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:56 pm

anything done to excess is a problem! try to limit your kiting to 8 hours a day :-) I remember during the race across america, that's this extreme, I mean not fun, young guys on a pepsi commercial extreme, I mean no sleep for 9 days and 9 night, on your bicycle non stop, getting sores where you didn't think sores could exist. Around day 3 or 4 a lot of bicyclers could not longer lift up their necks to look ahead of them on the road. the neck muscle just failed. It's actually common enough in bicycling that they have a name for it "Shermer's Neck". It can be quite painful. So yeah I don't think kiters get neck injuries more than other sports, but if you have a problem like that try to cut down your sessions by an hour or two for two or three weeks until your neck feels better.

Rakky
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rakky » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:10 am

How do you attach or embed Quicktime? I have a short video on neck injuries

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:56 am

After 18 years of kiteboarding my injury toll is virtually nill. A couple of instance of whiplash after seriously messing up huge jumps, and a couple of sore ribs after getting hit by a pitching lip.

With coming up to 2 years of foiling, I was getting whiplash injuries almost every other session. I am currently getting treatment from a physio.

The thing about the foil is that face plants at speed are common. Even worse, there's an extra metre of rotational radius on those face plants so the effect is multiplied.

Wearing a helmet also increased the trauma of the face plant. Adding 500 grams to the mass, and the bucket effect really hammered my neck.

The incidence of face plants has dropped to almost zero. I have got much better at foiling, and I stopped wearing a helmet. Helmets suck for kiteboarding in general and foiling in particular.

PS I recently turned 60. I kite every day that it is kitable (which is almost every day with a foil). The more I kite the fitter I get. I think not kiting would make me sick. Barring getting properly ill, I can see me slowing down in 10-15 years.

Return to “Kitesurfing”