Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Core Kite safety question

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Core Kite safety question

Postby SpaceRacer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Core claims and I purposefully experienced this during a demo when I was standing on the beach that when you employ the quick release the kite will lose power and fall into the relaunch position (on a wingtip with some power in the kite.). But in order for the kite to fall into this position, it still has some power and pull to it. So if you need or want to self rescue, how do you safely wind up your lines and get to the kite to do so? My other kites fall onto their leading edge when the quick release is employed, which to me makes way more sense, giving me the option of self rescue OR relaunch when I get to my bar.

Am I missing something?

roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Core Kite safety question

Postby roninXpl » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:13 pm

I'm pretty sure that Core kite inverts and falls down the wind window (in front of one). If the lines are not messed up you can always assemble the chicken loop and relauch just like if the kite dropped in the water.

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:36 pm

Not from the demo or my experience.

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Sounds like a demo of just letting go the bar, that will generally return the kite as you describe. If you fire off the Core Safety, there is a pulley system that totally depowers the kite and flags it out with one tip pulled upwind and the other down, it's not going anywhere until you either reassemble or wind up the lines, which you do by deliberately only winding the upwind side a bit first if you are in the water, or on the land go down the lines and secure the kite.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:08 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:05 pm
Core claims and I purposefully experienced this during a demo when I was standing on the beach that when you employ the quick release the kite will lose power and fall into the relaunch position (on a wingtip with some power in the kite.). But in order for the kite to fall into this position, it still has some power and pull to it. So if you need or want to self rescue, how do you safely wind up your lines and get to the kite to do so? My other kites fall onto their leading edge when the quick release is employed, which to me makes way more sense, giving me the option of self rescue OR relaunch when I get to my bar.

Am I missing something?
No there is no kite that flags out in the relaunch position :lol:

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:09 pm

A number of kites will do that if you are on the beach in light wind. The bar sometimes will not get pulled up the lines far enough. If you get to demo again make sure the bar has moved all the way to the stopper. In light wind sometimes you have to push it by hand or take a step forward.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:21 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:09 pm
A number of kites will do that if you are on the beach in light wind. The bar sometimes will not get pulled up the lines far enough. If you get to demo again make sure the bar has moved all the way to the stopper. In light wind sometimes you have to push it by hand or take a step forward.
You flag out in light wind? :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:48 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Wrong.

Mini 5th safety systems were popular a few years ago precisely because they flagged the kites out to relaunch ready positions.

F-one and the old Ocean Rodeo stuff were all mini fifth.

It worked very well "most" of the time but there were issues in very strong winds, so most have shifted away from mini 5th to single front line flag systems.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:23 pm

LFAK is a pain in the butt troll...always ready to give a lot of FLAK (criticism)...got his 1st lesson May 11th 2015...of course he knows it all by now.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:17 pm

Starsky wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:48 pm
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Wrong.

Mini 5th safety systems were popular a few years ago precisely because they flagged the kites out to relaunch ready positions.

F-one and the old Ocean Rodeo stuff were all mini fifth.

It worked very well "most" of the time but there were issues in very strong winds, so most have shifted away from mini 5th to single front line flag systems.

FAIL!!!

This is 2017, we're talking about the latest equipment, just like the OP wants to discuss. We don't care about equipment made in 2010, that's why the OP is discussing the latest demo that was in his area. And as everyone knows, the latest kites all flag out so they can't be relaunched unless you reset them.

I know this is like your big oppertunity to prove me wrong so you can make yourself look good in front of everyone, but not today :nono:

Return to “Kitesurfing”